Great Britain LionHeart
Skirmisher
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: Mexico 11/10 6:30 trade monopoly

Post by LionHeart »

musketeer925 wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022, 00:14
I haven't seen this one before.

Why make any vils when you can just trade monopoly at 6:30, for free, and then send a factory?
yoink
India Realife_Brahmin
Skirmisher
ESO: Realife_Brahmin

Post by Realife_Brahmin »

gibson wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022, 17:22
The thing is though every civ breaks rules the game has set. Skirms in age 2, 2tcs in age 2, free training vils etc. These are all ridiculous by the same definition just it’s stuff everyone is used to so no one cares.
All these civs (minus French) also have glaring weaknesses or at least exploitable shortcomings. Something I think devs forgot to incorporate in all these new DLC civs which can pretty much do anything on any map.
Italy MaxMagous
Skirmisher
ESO: MaxMagous

Post by MaxMagous »

The thing is though every civ breaks rules the game has set. Skirms in age 2, 2tcs in age 2, free training vils etc. These are all ridiculous by the same definition just it’s stuff everyone is used to so no one cares.
That is THE most convincing argument against new civs/mechanics detractors. I have been advocating it since forever, I can't stand how no one seems to see it. Just imagine no british were in the game and then a civ gets released that gives you maphack houses that spawn a villager each, no dutch and then a civ has non-depleting non-map-dependent tanky sources of coin that create choke points and make for a game where player doesnt need to leave base for 15 minutes. Oh wow, a civ that gets you 2 high dps cav units for free per shipment so that you can raid without any military building and build somewhat of an army by virtue of shipping eco? I could go on forever. People are just..idk, nostalgic.
New civs are amazing, they add so much to the game. If anything, they break those rules in increasingly complex and compelling ways
look wrote: ↑
01 Jul 2022, 08:55
Kaiserklein wrote: ↑
01 Jul 2022, 07:42
Well nvm, none of these dates work for me
who care? unfortunately, one must decide to be an aoe3 pro or not
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

MaxMagous wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022, 19:25
That is THE most convincing argument against new civs/mechanics detractors. I have been advocating it since forever, I can't stand how no one seems to see it. Just imagine no british were in the game and then a civ gets released that gives you maphack houses that spawn a villager each, no dutch and then a civ has non-depleting non-map-dependent tanky sources of coin that create choke points and make for a game where player doesnt need to leave base for 15 minutes. Oh wow, a civ that gets you 2 high dps cav units for free per shipment so that you can raid without any military building and build somewhat of an army by virtue of shipping eco? I could go on forever. People are just..idk, nostalgic.
New civs are amazing, they add so much to the game. If anything, they break those rules in increasingly complex and compelling ways
it's funny because you can only give one example per civ, meanwhile i'm not even counting on the african civ or mexico or inca
i could write a whole page on the gimmicky stuff on these civs lol
Image Image
Italy MaxMagous
Skirmisher
ESO: MaxMagous

Post by MaxMagous »

which is for the better rather than for the worse.
look wrote: ↑
01 Jul 2022, 08:55
01 Jul 2022, 07:42
Well nvm, none of these dates work for me
who care? unfortunately, one must decide to be an aoe3 pro or not
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

kevinitalien wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022, 20:00
it's funny because you can only give one example per civ, meanwhile i'm not even counting on the african civ or mexico or inca
Do you really think he only gave one example per civ because there is only one example per civ or because thats inherently how examples work(which is why theyre examples)?
Lancer

Post by kevinitalien »

28 Mar 2022, 20:16
28 Mar 2022, 20:00
Show hidden quotes
Do you really think he only gave one example per civ because there is only one example per civ or because thats inherently how examples work(which is why theyre examples)?
i think he can give one example per civ
Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

28 Mar 2022, 20:19
28 Mar 2022, 20:16
Show hidden quotes
If you think there's only one unique thing about the old civs, you know even less about the game than I thought you did.
Lancer

Post by kevinitalien »

28 Mar 2022, 20:20
28 Mar 2022, 20:19
Show hidden quotes
If you think there's only one unique thing about the old civs, you know even less about the game than I thought you did.
give me examples of gimmicky stuff i'm quite curious, i rather think you didn't know what gimmicky stuff is
Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Give examples? Anything that a civ can do that isn't in line with "standard" is a gimmick by the way you guys describe it. It's just your used to all the ones for nilla, tad, twc civs and cba to learn how the other civs work.
Lancer

Post by kevinitalien »

28 Mar 2022, 20:35
Give examples? Anything that a civ can do that isn't in line with "standard" is a gimmick by the way you guys describe it. It's just your used to all the ones for nilla, tad, twc civs and cba to learn how the other civs work.
it's wrong, everyone has already seen it i tried to learn all the civs, I even streamed when i was learning mexico ethiopia USA, i played Hausa a lot of times, i played a lot of inca at the beginning of the game so it doesn't apply to me

But i can give you some examples of gimmicky stuff too, such as :
- an invisible building that can garrison military units
- a shipment that sends 1 cav (110f 90c) per shipment send and all the shipment that work like this
- a technology that gives one unit per house that you have (completely free)
- griots
- abun that heals a unit while they fight
- unit that can snare at distance
- revo at 6 min which allows you to pass age (hum ok why not)
- fulani which can gather wood
- melee cav with siege damage etc...
i can still give you a lot of things like it if you want

And so give me examples on gimmicky things like this on legacy civ ( i have the daimyo personnally but what else ? )
Image Image
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

princeofcarthage wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022, 15:39
which is not necessarily a bad thing. The game is meant to be played spontaneously and in an ever evolving fashion as opposed to writing a exam where you come prepared with stuff and execute it systematically. Getting new content helps meta from becoming stale and pushes players towards playing with more presence of mind and strategy rather than just button smashing.
spontaneous = casual
prepared stuff = competitive
Well, old civs also had stuff tuned down at start because it was too out of line. However, most of mechanics until TAD were pretty consistent. TWC civs had the firepit mechanic and the big buttons but that's pretty much it. TAD first introduced completely new mechanics and the related balance problems still persist today to some extent.
DE civs have a number of out of line features that clash or even overhaul existing mechanics. 6min trade monopoly overwrite the idea of TM itself which is a tie breaking mechanic for stale prolonged lategame. Ranged snare mechanic clashes with the purposes of original snare which is to help melee units against kiting. And surely there are more...
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Surely getting a second TC in age 2 is way less ridiculous than e.g, still getting a second TC in age 2 and having food auto gathering houses and being able to garrison units into buildings and ranged snare and...
The same goes for mexico, they do get skirms in age 2 I think? But they also get to revolt in age 2, send a factory and get free trade monopoly apparently, unrevolt to industrial, train 5.5 speed pikes that cost only food in batches of 10, ship a 3500 hp forward shipment point, etc.

On the one hand you're talking about civs with a unique bonus or two, which by definition does break a bit the rules yeah, because it's unique. On the other hand, we have civs that add up a ton of these gimmicks.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Also think about Japan. You get to steal your opponent's hunts, generate resources out of thin air, sit in base forever, to ship / train units in daimyos, ship stuff twice, train culv cav archers, etc. It's not even as many gimmicks as the average DE civ and yet lots of people still complain about it, 15 years after it was released.

So you see, people don't complain just because they're "nostalgic" or "allergic to change" or whatever. It's not because it's new, it's because it's dumb. Otherwise we wouldn't see that many complaints about Japan, or even about e.g otto being stupid.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Lancer

Post by kevinitalien »

28 Mar 2022, 22:03
Also think about Japan. You get to steal your opponent's hunts, generate resources out of thin air
ethiopia has a building that blocks enemy vills from gathering up the gold mine :uglylol:
Image Image
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

28 Mar 2022, 22:11
28 Mar 2022, 22:03
Also think about Japan. You get to steal your opponent's hunts, generate resources out of thin air
ethiopia has a building that blocks enemy vills from gathering up the gold mine :uglylol:
that makes me think that a good counter to german merc FF as ethiopia is just to build mountain monasteries as close your enemys base as possible
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

vills have a quite large hidden siege bonus vs those
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

Kawapasaka wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022, 22:43
vills have a quite large hidden siege bonus vs those
ofc you know that ahah :D

Puerto Rico scrangos
Crossbow

Post by scrangos »

Completely unsolicited 2c: I play aoe3 over aoe2 aoeo or aoe4 (or other rtses) because of the variety or "gimmicks" one of which is the card system. If you strip all that away you just have aoe2 i guess. Gather resources, make unit, attack with unit is just... too bland and there are better games for just that even.