AoE3:DE Replay Launcher

United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

AoE3:DE Replay Launcher

Post by musketeer925 »

Hi all,

I'm posting a rough version of my long-promised recorded game compatibility tool. This allows watching recorded games from previous updates on Age of Empries 3: Definitive Edition. There's a lot more I could do to make it nicer, but it's minimally usable so I thought I would share.

How does it work?
The tool reads a recorded game, parses the version, and applies game files from old versions of the game to make the recorded game compatible. It waits for the game to close, and then removes them.

How do I use it?
Installation
I didn't make a fancy installer or anything. It's a zip file; extract anywhere and run RecordedGameLauncher.exe. It requires .NET framework 4.7.2. It is only compatible with the current version of the game. When the game updates, I'll need to provide a new build. Come back here to re-download.

As far as I know, this is only compatible with the Steam version of the game.

Configuration
The tool stores configuration, which consists of only the path to your game's installation and documents directories, at C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Roaming\AoE3DEReplayLauncher\config.json. Delete the file and run again if you need to re-configure the tool.

Launching recorded games
1. Open the replay launcher.
2. Select a replay using its "Browse" dialog.
Note: you can select recorded games from anywhere on your computer. They will be copied to the game's recorded game directory.
3. Click "Launch", and wait for the game to launch.
4. At the main menu, load the same recorded game you selected in the launcher.
5. Close the game.
6. Wait the launcher to un-apply compatibility patches. Don't close the compatibility tool while your game is running, or before it is finished removing files, or you'll leave your game is a corrupted state, and need to reinstall.

Will there be more features?
In the future, I hope to add new features, such as auto-updates, complete recorded game parsing in the launcher's UI, and maybe making it less ugly.

DISCLAIMER
This software comes with no warranty. It may not work as expected. It may do things that are unexpected. Don't hold me responsible if it deletes all your files. If you're using a computer and have important files on it that aren't backed up anywhere, you're taking a risk.

Can I contribute?
Source available at https://gitlab.com/adamjseitz/aoe3de-re ... e-launcher, but the game game version data is not available there. To build it yourself, you'd have to construct that by downloading old versions of the game via DepotDownloader and using the tools/patch_archiver.py script.
Attachments
ReplayLauncher.zip
(24.43 MiB) Downloaded 164 times
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Re: AoE3:DE Replay Launcher

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Keeping the trend of ESOC developers doing a better job on their spare time than the guys paid by Microsoft.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
India drsingh
Dragoon
ESO: drsingh

Post by drsingh »

Will watching a recorded game of a bugged version delete my files. I mean, is that a possibility...
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

@drsingh as there is no confirmation on how this issue happens and no confirmation that it was ever fixed on any update, it remains a possibility.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

drsingh wrote:Will watching a recorded game of a bugged version delete my files. I mean, is that a possibility...
I definitely can't speak for whether the game will delete your files.

The replay launcher doesn't currently roll back the game's executable, however, so if that bug is indeed fixed on the latest version (which is unclear), then I wouldn't think so.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

the year is 2022: Musketeer925 and Eaglemut partner to release "Aoe3: the Definitive Definitive Edition"
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Hey yo! Very good job as usual!

If you don't mind I'd advise painting this part as red and making it bold so people don't come complaining later on...
musketeer925 wrote:6. Wait the launcher to un-apply compatibility patches. Don't close the compatibility tool while your game is running, or before it is finished removing files, or you'll leave your game is a corrupted state, and need to reinstall.

Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

macacoalbino wrote:If you don't mind I'd advise painting this part as red and making it bold so people don't come complaining later on...
RTFM :shrug:
Turkey Flakel
Crossbow
ESO: Flakel

Post by Flakel »

Unfortunelly not working with last patch
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Flakel wrote:Unfortunelly not working with last patch
Yes, I need to make a new version after each patch, which I haven't done yet.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

musketeer925 wrote:
Sad, the devs dont care about the game as much as you.
Spain pain train is real
Turkey Flakel
Crossbow

Post by Flakel »

musketeer925 wrote:
Can't wait! Thanks for your labors.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Hi all,

I tried using the same method I was using for the previous versions, and I still get OOS in recs. It would probably work if I included the .exe from each version as well, but I don't think I'd like to do that for these reasons:

1. With frequent updates, that will result in a big file size for compatibility with all versions (adding >50 MB for each version).

2. I don't think I want to support a tool that requires running .exe versions that have bugs that could delete all your computer's files.

With that said, I don't think I'm going to continue updating the tool at this time. Admittedly, I have fairly low enthusiasm for the game right now due to DE's rocky release, and that's a factor in this decision. If any other devs want to maintain and support this tool, let me know.

Please ask the DE devs for a way to play old recorded games.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

musketeer925 wrote: With that said, I don't think I'm going to continue updating the tool at this time. Admittedly, I have fairly low enthusiasm for the game right now due to DE's rocky release, and that's a factor in this decision.
It's sad to see all those who did so much for the game along the years get discouraged by the awful state the game was released in. Thanks for the work any way !
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

The community were in a better state before MS released this unfinshed version of our game. I dont even think they care about AOE3 as much as we (ESO-c) does.
Spain pain train is real
No Flag uberjz
Dragoon
ESO: WoodPusher

Post by uberjz »

Rohbrot wrote:The community were in a better state before MS released this unfinshed version of our game. I dont even think they care about AOE3 as much as we (ESO-c) does.
I don't agree, the community feels better now for me at least. I think once you get a new PC and actually get to play DE you will feel differently. Just right now you can't play so it kinda sucks
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

uberjz wrote:
Rohbrot wrote:The community were in a better state before MS released this unfinshed version of our game. I dont even think they care about AOE3 as much as we (ESO-c) does.
I don't agree, the community feels better now for me at least. I think once you get a new PC and actually get to play DE you will feel differently. Just right now you can't play so it kinda sucks
I think just about that we cant host any tourneys or even watch them live with obs, not to mention that the replayer sucks hard. Just said my opinion,you can feel the other way.
Spain pain train is real
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

They do not care at all, the only thing they care is profit nowdays. All aoe remakes so far were only for money milking.
Turkey Flakel
Crossbow

Post by Flakel »

well, age of team send me this:
--------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Unfortunately, the way our system works, you cannot watch matches recorded in older versions once the game is on a different version. We understand that this can be frustrating, and we recommend running your own additional recording to save on your computer if there are matches you know you will want to watch again later on. Please let us know if there is anything else we can answer for you.

Best Regards,

Lisa
Age of Empires Support
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

@musketeer925 are you still updating the tool with game updates? When I try to run the tool and select a file I get "unrecognized version <numbers>"
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

callentournies wrote:@musketeer925 are you still updating the tool with game updates? When I try to run the tool and select a file I get "unrecognized version <numbers>"
musketeer925 wrote:I don't think I'm going to continue updating the tool at this time. Admittedly, I have fairly low enthusiasm for the game right now due to DE's rocky release, and that's a factor in this decision. If any other devs want to maintain and support this tool, let me know.

Please ask the DE devs for a way to play old recorded games.