Hotkeys reset everytime

Sweden deadrising78
Skirmisher
ESO: deadrising78

Hotkeys reset everytime

Post by deadrising78 »

Hi, everytime i log in to DE i need to REDO ALL MY HOTKEYS, change all my graphic settings to work with my potato pc and do all other stuff like its the first time im playing.

All the graphic settings stuff i can deal with but redoing my hotkeys EVERY SINGLE TIME i start the game just makes DE unplayable for me.

Does anyone else have this problem and is there is a solution to this?
Thanks!
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Re: Hotkeys reset everytime

Post by n0el »

deadrising78 wrote:Hi, everytime i log in to DE i need to REDO ALL MY HOTKEYS, change all my graphic settings to work with my potato pc and do all other stuff like its the first time im playing.

All the graphic settings stuff i can deal with but redoing my hotkeys EVERY SINGLE TIME i start the game just makes DE unplayable for me.

Thanks!
First I’ve heard of it. Windows store or steam?
mad cuz bad
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

This happened to me after I switched to my smurf account and back.
Sweden deadrising78
Skirmisher

Post by deadrising78 »

n0el wrote:
deadrising78 wrote:Hi, everytime i log in to DE i need to REDO ALL MY HOTKEYS, change all my graphic settings to work with my potato pc and do all other stuff like its the first time im playing.

Thanks!
First I’ve heard of it. Windows store or steam?
Its through steam. I have tried reinstalling the game, logging in to xbox account but same problem :(
Sweden deadrising78
Skirmisher

Post by deadrising78 »

gibson wrote:This happened to me after I switched to my smurf account and back.
Do you still have the problem?
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

Hotkeys and other settings are stored in C:\Users\YOUR_NAME_HERE\Games\Age of Empires 3 DE\SOME_NUMBERS_HERE\Users\NewProfile.xml. Maybe you could check if such a folder exists and what's in there?
Sweden deadrising78
Skirmisher

Post by deadrising78 »

Thrar wrote:Hotkeys and other settings are stored in C:\Users\YOUR_NAME_HERE\Games\Age of Empires 3 DE\SOME_NUMBERS_HERE\Users\NewProfile.xml. Maybe you could check if such a folder exists and what's in there?
Just checked it and everytime i start the game it creates a new Newprofile, Lastprofile.dat and stats.edat.
So that must be the problem, that its creating a new one everytime
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor

Post by Thrar »

Do you know whether it creates a new one, or does it update and overwrite the previous one? The last modified date does seem to change every time I run the game for me as well, but the files don't get replaced, just opened and written back to disk again later without changes.

Are the files from the previous run still there after you exit the game, or after restarting your computer? Maybe something is deleting them?

This is probably something to report on the official bugs forum, with as much information as you might find about the creation dates and last modified dates of the files after closing the game, before starting it, and after starting it while the game is running. The settings and hotkeys are in there in a pretty readable form (open in a text editor and you can search for some of your custom hotkeys) so it might be interesting to check as well at what point exactly your custom hotkeys get replaced with the default.
Sweden deadrising78
Skirmisher

Post by deadrising78 »

Thrar wrote:Do you know whether it creates a new one, or does it update and overwrite the previous one? The last modified date does seem to change every time I run the game for me as well, but the files don't get replaced, just opened and written back to disk again later without changes.

Are the files from the previous run still there after you exit the game, or after restarting your computer? Maybe something is deleting them?

This is probably something to report on the official bugs forum, with as much information as you might find about the creation dates and last modified dates of the files after closing the game, before starting it, and after starting it while the game is running. The settings and hotkeys are in there in a pretty readable form (open in a text editor and you can search for some of your custom hotkeys) so it might be interesting to check as well at what point exactly your custom hotkeys get replaced with the default.
When i open it in notes the hotkey and setting options seem empty so i think its creating an ew one everytime i start the game. It looks like this
</Settings>
</GameSettings>
<KeyMapGroups>
</KeyMapGroups>
<ScenarioUserData>
</ScenarioUserData>
</Profile>

Yeah i should probably report it as it's a pretty gamebreaking bug.
Sweden deadrising78
Skirmisher

Post by deadrising78 »

Thrar wrote:Do you know whether it creates a new one, or does it update and overwrite the previous one? The last modified date does seem to change every time I run the game for me as well, but the files don't get replaced, just opened and written back to disk again later without changes.

I have saved a copy of my hotkey file and tried copy pasting it in before a launch the game and while the game is on but it seems as it gets completely empty as soon as i close or open the game. Do you mind posting everything under your hotkey file and everything under /settings so i can compare and see if mine looks different somehow
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor

Post by Thrar »

I have 3 files:
  • LastProfile.dat (binary file but seems to include just the name of the profile file)
  • NewProfile.xml (XML file, the tags you mention are all there but contain nested tags and values)
  • stats.edat (binary file, not readable as text)
I've attached my profile file. In that file I removed two personalized values, OnlineName and GUID (both near the top). Maybe you could try using that file in case there is something missing from yours for some reason?

So like this:
  1. Start the game
  2. While running, alt+tab out of it, open your own file, and copy the OnlineName and GUID
  3. Paste both into my file in the appropriate location
  4. Exit the game
  5. Rename my file to NewProfile.xml (with your OnlineName and GUID) and place it in your folder
  6. Start the game
If it works you should see a Chinese home city selected and legacy hotkeys enabled, among other non-default settings.

In case the issue is with LastProfile.dat you can try using mine for that as well, also attached. You'll need to rename it back to LastProfile.dat, I had to add the .txt at the end so the forum would let me upload it.
Attachments
LastProfile.dat.txt
(24 Bytes) Downloaded 20 times
NewProfile - anonymized.xml
(286.68 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Sweden deadrising78
Skirmisher

Post by deadrising78 »

Thrar wrote:I have 3 files:
  • LastProfile.dat (binary file but seems to include just the name of the profile file)
  • NewProfile.xml (XML file, the tags you mention are all there but contain nested tags and values)
  • stats.edat (binary file, not readable as text)
I've attached my profile file. In that file I removed two personalized values, OnlineName and GUID (both near the top). Maybe you could try using that file in case there is something missing from yours for some reason?

So like this:
  1. Start the game
  2. While running, alt+tab out of it, open your own file, and copy the OnlineName and GUID
  3. Paste both into my file in the appropriate location
  4. Exit the game
  5. Rename my file to NewProfile.xml (with your OnlineName and GUID) and place it in your folder
  6. Start the game
If it works you should see a Chinese home city selected and legacy hotkeys enabled, among other non-default settings.

In case the issue is with LastProfile.dat you can try using mine for that as well, also attached. You'll need to rename it back to LastProfile.dat, I had to add the .txt at the end so the forum would let me upload it.
Didn't work unfortunatly. After i open the game my NewProfile.xml looks like a blank one again, even though it looked like yours just before i started the game. Thanks for trying though!