AOE3DE doesn't break your PC if you use Linux. Here is how you set both up!

European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Re: AOE3DE doesn't break your PC if you use Linux. Here is how you set both up!

Post by scarm »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:Linux : a true story.
https://xkcd.com/456/
The sad thing is i disassembled my old laptop (the one i am trying linux on) just for the fun of it just yesterday. I think i am infected. (but with the hardware strain of the virus instead of the software one)
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

A hardware virus? How does that work?
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

It was a joke concerning the cartoon hussard posted, since in that comic the dude trying out linux gets addicted to messing around in the linux software e.g. "compiling kernels". I instead dis- and reassembled my PC, therefore meddling with hardware instead of software, i.e. i suffered from the same addiction/disease but in a hardware variant.

So like virus in the sense of disease-virus, not computer-virus.

Also i guess a virus attacking component-specific firmware could kinda be considered a hardware-virus? Maybe?
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Thanks for the help guys, now I'm a nerd with the OS to back that up. It seems like it runs a little bit worse but not too bad. I did have a single complete freeze of DE without a crash, but I wasn't worried once I remembered that it cannot break my computer. Overall pretty great, but I won't be playing rated with the bugs that are present.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

harcha wrote:Thanks for the help guys, now I'm a nerd with the OS to back that up. It seems like it runs a little bit worse but not too bad. I did have a single complete freeze of DE without a crash, but I wasn't worried once I remembered that it cannot break my computer. Overall pretty great, but I won't be playing rated with the bugs that are present.
Fair enough, welcome to the club! Personally I'll wait for the devs to patch up the game a bit before daring to play Ranked, given all the crashes that pop up left and right.
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

It seems like you have to restart DE about every hour, otherwise it is bound to freeze. This behavior has been fairly consistent in my experience. Yesterday I lost a rated game due to a freeze :/
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon

harcha wrote:It seems like you have to restart DE about every hour, otherwise it is bound to freeze. This behavior has been fairly consistent in my experience. Yesterday I lost a rated game due to a freeze :/
Ouch. People have been reporting Memory Leaks popping up again after the new patch, so it's likely this again. The game has issues when it comes to releasing unneeded memory.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Today my computer froze when looking at lobbies. I think i'll just install another instance of W10 instead and play on that, hopefully that reduces the problems (I don't care about memory leaking, 32GB should be fine for few hours of gameplay). I think I can hide the other drives from windows so that game cannot possibly delete files on those, right?
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon

harcha wrote:Today my computer froze when looking at lobbies. I think i'll just install another instance of W10 instead and play on that, hopefully that reduces the problems (I don't care about memory leaking, 32GB should be fine for few hours of gameplay). I think I can hide the other drives from windows so that game cannot possibly delete files on those, right?
Windows cannot recognise ext4 formatted drives, so it should be as if they don't exist.

It's that bad huh? Jesus, didn't they solve the bloody Memory Leaks already?!
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Imagine solving memory leaks when they can't even get the 2nd page of ladder to show up, talk about unrealistic expectations

What I'm talking about with drives is that I'm wondering if I can unmount a readable drive in my windows, so that the game cannot possibly delete anything there.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

harcha wrote:... don't care about memory leaking, 32GB should be fine for few hours of gameplay
Not exactly, it depends on how big the leak is