Conscript to Lieutenant — A Beginner's Guide to Basics

United States of America site
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: site

Conscript to Lieutenant — A Beginner's Guide to Basics

Post by site »

Getting from PR-1 to PR-23 was a big learning experience for me and it was accelerated greatly by my desire for knowledge. I looked, but could not find a one stop place for the answers I needed. So I asked on the forums and I asked better players in game to train me. Here, I'm going to share what I've learned for others who are like I was, who are stuck below PR-20 but desperately want to be competitive. I will present it to you the way I wish I could have found everything in one place.

This is not a civ by civ guide, this is not a map by map guide. This guide is on basic mechanical skills and theory which can be applied to any match up on any map. If you follow these tips, you can quickly get to 1st Lieutenant.

Pick a civ
There are 16 Civilizations in this game, resulting in 120 unique 1v1 match ups. Don't try to take all of this in at once. Choose one civilization that appeals to you and practice it until you can get a Lieutenant level of skill with it. The recommended civilization is France, as what you learn with it, can apply to every other civilization to some degree.

Learn 3 build orders for your Civ
Learn the three most common build orders for your civilization, one at a time, and what each one is good for. You can be excellent in all other areas, but if you don’t have a basic build order to follow you won’t get far. A build order typically guides you through what to do in the first 7-10 minutes of the game, after which it’s up to you to adapt and overcome. Once you repeat these openings enough, they become second nature. The three main strategies that most every civ can implement are:

Rush - Early Pressure designed to destroy the enemy early on
Fast Fortress - Quickly age and leverage powerful fortress shipments and units
Economic Build - Take as many economic advantages as possible and outscale your opponent

While every civ can do these, some are better than them than others. For example, Iroquois and Russia are great with rushing, Germany and France have powerful Fast Fortress potential, and Japan and Britain can typically outscale the rest of the civs. Figure out what your favorite strategy is, and use a civ that compliments it.

Now, for the major roadblocks.

Idle Time
The main thing that's keeping you at one of those common walls, like being stuck at Lance Corporal, Sergeant, or Master Sergeant, is IDLE time. If you can eliminate or drastically reduce the four common areas of idle time, every part of your build will improve.

Type One: Town Center Idle
In most every strategy you are going to need to keep your Town Center from idling. This means you must always have a settler training, or be aging. (Both if you're playing as an Asian Civ!) Idle time can quickly slow down your build, especially when it is in the early stage of the game. If you forget to train a settler first thing in the game for 30 seconds, you will be MUCH slower than if you had clicked it immediately.

Example: You are attacking the enemy, or taking a big treasure and are so focused on not losing that you forget to train settlers for two minutes!

How to fix it:
Set a hotkey for your Town Center and Train Villager commands. Make sure that you have your settings so that when you toggle your Town Center it does not snap to it! Keep an eye on your queue and make sure you queue a second villager before your first one pops out.
Make sure that you have enough settlers gathering food to sustain constant production of settlers. A good rule of thumb is to have at least 6 settlers on food. (You'll likely already be doing this, so remember to click that button! Even if you're fighting!)

Type Two: Home City Idle
Don't delay sending your home city shipments! There are few reasons to save shipments. Remember that you can send for example a 3 settler shipment with only 9/10 population space. If you time this right you can send the card and still have a villager training in time for your house to be built. Every second you let a card like the 3 settler card sit in your home city is 3 villager seconds that they could be gathering!

Example: You are distracted by raids and are trying to get your settlers away from danger and forget to send a shipment.

How to fix this, pay attention to the shipment alert and set a hotkey for the Home City.

Type Three: Settler Idle
This is easy to reduce but hard to eliminate. Taking steps now will pay off greatly. The main contributors to settler idle time are unnecessary walking and bad herd distribution. Every second that your settlers have to walk is a second that they are not gathering, and this is multiplied by the number of idle settlers you have. 10 settlers doing nothing for 10 seconds is 100 seconds of your economic potential down the drain.

Example: When the game starts, you let your settlers gather the crates without direction while you start exploring. (Split your settlers evenly onto food crates while you send one off to herd your starting hunt towards your TC. This allows for you to get your first settler queued ASAP.)

Example: You use 6 settlers to shoot one animal. (Only use one settler to kill an animal, anything more is a waste.)

Example: You shoot an animal and the whole herd runs away from you. (Go behind the animal and shoot it in the direction of your Town Center. This means that your settlers don’t have to walk as far to gather, and also means that they are easier to protect from the enemy raids.)

Example: You have 10 settlers gathering from a mine and it runs out of coin. (Hold Shift and task your settlers to the next mine so that they automatically go to it when the first runs out.)

Type Four: Military Idle
Now this is harder to determine. You don’t always want to charge in with your units, but at the same time - not using them is the same as losing them. You invest into a unit and do no damage. AoE3 ultimately comes down to investment and return. The resources you invest need to yield a greater deduction upon your enemy. If you do this enough times, you win. So when you train 5 huss as part of your FF BO, you need to raid with them efficiently, not just leave them at your base. When you are massing up in colonial and have 20 muskets, you can poke into the opponent’s forward base and shoot one or two of his units and then back away. Think of these skirmishes as trades. Trade as few of your resources, for as many of his.

Macro
Macro is in a nutshell your economy and how you manage it. It is important to learn how to distribute your settlers onto resources effectively. This is predominantly decided by the unit(s) that you are making. If you are making mercenaries, you will need a lot of gold, if you are making crossbowmen and pikemen, you are going to need a lot of wood. Keep in mind that the different resources gather at different base rates, which are then affected by upgrades in the market and from the home city.

These are the base rates for European Settlers:
Huntable Food (Deer, Bison, etc) - 0.84/s
Coin (Mines) - 0.6/s
Wood - 0.5/s

So let’s say you are playing as the British and want to make Musketeers. Musketeers cost 75f, 25c, and take 30s to train. So if you are wanting to constantly train 5 Musketeers with no idle time between batches, you need 375f and 125c every 30 seconds. This requires 15 Settlers on food (rounded up) and 7 Settlers on coin (rounded up.)

Now, here is the importance of getting those market upgrades you may have been neglecting. Hunting Dogs gives you +10% to your food gathering rate. Placer Mines gives you +10% to your coin gathering rate. Steel Traps gives you +20% to your food gathering rate. All three of these can be researched by the time you’ve aged up and placed your barracks as the British.

Instead of needing 15 Settlers on food and 7 Settlers on coin, you’ll now need only 12 Settlers on Food and 6.3 Settlers on Coin. It sound small, but that advantage becomes much larger whenever you are trying to train full batches from 3 barracks. Keep these things in mind whenever you are structuring your economic distribution.

Here's some detailed info on gathering rates, borrowed from http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/for ... 32509,0,10
[spoiler=spoiler]Native Villagers

Tree: .5
Mill: .67
Plantation: .5
Herdable: 1.25
Huntable: .84
Mine: .6
Berry Bush: .67
Crate: 8.0
Farm: .5

European Settlers

Tree: .5
Mill: .67
Plantation: .5
Herdable: 2.0
Huntable: .84
Mine: .6 (Dutch Settler: .69)
Berry Bush: .67
Crate: 8.0
Farm: .5

Coureurs

Tree: .62
Mill: .84
Plantation: .63
Herdable: 2.5
Huntable: 1.04
Mine: .74
Berry Bush: .83
Crate: 10.0
Farm: .62

Settler Wagons

Tree: 1.0
Mill: 1.34
Plantation: 1.0
Herdable: 4.0
Huntable: 1.7
Mine: 1.2
Berry Bush: 1.34
Crate: 15.0
Farm: 1.0

Technologies

Gang Saw: Wood +10%
Log Flume: Wood +20%
Circular Saw: Wood +30%
Deforestation: Wood +50%
Hunting Dogs: Hunting +10%
Steel Traps: Hunting +20%
Placer Mines: Mine +10%
Amalgamation: Mine +20%
Excessive Taxation: Mine +50%, Plantation +50%
Seed Drill: Mill +15%, Farm +15%
Artificial Fertilizer: Mill +30%, Farm +30%
Large Scale Agriculture: Mill +50%, Farm +50%
Book Keeping: Plantation +10%
Home Steading: Plantation +20%
Ore Refining: Plantation +30%
Earth Gift Ceremony: Plantation +20%, Mine +20%
Lumber Cereomony: Wood +20%
Forest People Ceremony: Wood +20%
Forest Spirit Ceremony: Wood +20%
Great Feast: Hunting +10%, Berrybush +10%, Farm +10%, Mill +10%
Harvest Ceremony: Hunting +15%, Berrybush +15%, Farm +15%, Mill +15%
Green Corn Ceremony: Hunting +20%, Berrybush +20%, Farm +20%, Mill +20%
Large Scale Gathering: Mill +50%, Farm +50%, Hunting +50%
Earth Ceremony: Plantation +10%, Mine +10%
Excessive Tribute: Mine +50%, Plantation +50%
Chinampa: Mill +20%, Farm +20%
Metalworking: Mine +20%
Calendar: Mill +10%, Farm +10%, Hunting +10%
Aztec WiseWoman Age2: Plantation +10%, Farm +10%
Aztec WiseWoman Age3: Plantation +15%, Farm +15%
Aztec WiseWoman Age4: Plantation +20%, Farm +20%
Aztec WiseWoman Age5: Plantation +25%, Farm +25%
Sioux WiseWoman Age2: Hunting +10%
Sioux WiseWoman Age3: Hunting +20%
Sioux WiseWoman Age4: Hunting +30%
Sioux WiseWoman Age5: Hunting +40%
Zapotec Food of the Gods: Mill +10%, Plantation +10%, Berrybush +10%, Farm +10%
Klamath Work Ethos: Wood +5%, Hunting +5%, Mill +5%, Plantation +5%, Mine +5%, Berrybush +5%
Navajo Craftsmanship: Mine +20%, Plantation +20%

Home City Cards

Lumberyards: Wood +15%
Sawmills: Wood + 15%
Exotic Hardwoods: Wood + 20%
Royal Mint: Plantation +25%, Mine +25%
Cigar Roller: Plantation +20%
Rum Distillery: Plantation +20%
Iron Monger: Mine +20%
Silversmith: Mine +20%
Textile Mills: Plantation +25%
Food Silos: Mill +15%, Farm +15%
Sustainable Agriculture: Mill +15%, Farm +15%
Furrier: Hunting +15% , Berrybush +20%
Grain Market: Mill +20%, Farm +20%
Refrigeration: Mill +20%, Hunting +20%, Berrybush + 20%, Herdable + 20%, Farm +20%
Spice Trade: Hunting +20%, Berrybush +20%
Aztec Mining: Mine +40%
Chinampa1: Plantation +15%, Farm +15%, Mill +15%
Chinampa2: Plantation +20%, Farm +20%, Mill +20%
Great Hunter: Hunting +20%, Berrybush +20%
Woodcrafting: Wood +20%
Team Exotic Hardwoods: Wood +15%
Team Silversmith: Mine +10%
Team Food Silos: Mill +10%, Farm +15%
Team Furrier: Hunting +10%, Berrybush +15%
Team Sawmills: Wood +10%
Team Spice Trade: Hunting +10%, Berrybush +15%
Team Rum Distillery: Plantation +15%
Team Iron Monger: Mine +10%
Fulling Mills: Herdable +400%
Economic Theory: Hunting +10%, Berrybush +10%, Herdable +10%, Mine +10%, Wood +10%, Plantation +10$, Mill +10%, Farm +10%

Abstract Fishing Boats

Gatherers

Fishing Boats

Fish: .67
Whale: .5

Caravels

Galleys

Canoes

Fish: .22
Whale .17

War Conoes

Whale: .17

Tlaloc Canoes

Whale: .17

Technologies

Chinampa: Fish +20%, Whale +20%
Gill Nets: Fish +15%, Whale +15%
Long Lines: Fish +30%, Whale +30%
Excessive Taxation: Whale +50%
Excessive Tribute: Whale +50%
Huron Fish Wedding: Fish +20%, Whale +20%
Navajo Craftsmanship: Whale +20%
Economic Theory: Fish +10%, Whale +10%

Home City Cards

Fish Market: Fish +25%, Whale +25%
Rendering Plant: Fish +30%, Whale +30%
Team Fish Market: Fish +10%, Whale +10%
Whale Oil: Whale +35%
Economic Theory: Fish +10%, Whale +10%

Herdables

Gatherers

Sheep

Food: .2
Food at livestock pen: .5
Food at farm: .5

Cows

Food: .25
Food at livestock pen: 1.0
Food at farm: 1.0

Llamas

Food: .3
Food at livestock pen: .75
Food at farm: .75

Technologies

Selective Breeding: +25% Food Gather Speed from Livestock Pen, +25% Food Gather Speed from Farm
Large Scale Gathering: + 50% Food Gather Speed from Farm
Navajo Shepards: +200% Food Auto Gather Speed, +30% Food Gather Speed from Livestock Pen, +30% Food Gather Speed from Farm

Home City Cards

Stock Yards: Food Gather Speed from Livestock Pen +30%, Food Gather Speed from Farm +30%
Team Wool Staples: Food Gather Speed from Livestock Pen +30%, Food Gather Speed from Farm +30%[/spoiler]

Micro
Micro is the way in which you control your units in battle. The main objective is to target what your unit counters and to prevent overkill. Your primary target will change depending on the situation, but preventing overkill is always relevant. Overkill is when you kill a unit that only needs 3 shots to kill with say, 7 musketeers. You’ve wasted 4 shots on a unit when you could have actually killed 2.3 of those units. This is incredibly relevant in every situation.

The first thing you can do is to use the magical Attack Move. Find a hotkey that works for you. Attack Move makes the selected units attack the nearest unit to them. This is great for opening encounters where you previously just right clicked on a unit.

The next thing is to avoid moving your units too much. Time spent walking is time that could have been spent shooting. There are exceptions to be made whenever you are kiting a unit. Kiting is whenever you use for example, a skirmishers superior range to shoot a musketeer who is not within his own range to shoot you. You shoot, run away, and shoot again. This is very important to do where applicable.

The next thing is to target counters. Fighting in Age of Empires 3 is a very complicated game of Rock Paper Scissors. Rock beats Scissors, Scissors beat Paper, and Paper beats rock, but with good micro, attrition, good positioning, and cascading victory - Paper can beat scissors.

Long-range Infantry beats Heavy Infantry and Ranged Cavalry
Heavy Infantry beats Hand Cavalry
Hand Cavalry beats Long-range Infantry and Artillery
Ranged Cavalry beats Hand Cavalry and Artillery
Artillery beats Long-range Infantry and Heavy Infantry

There are many nuances and situational times where you will want to target different things, but as a general rule of thumb, this is how the game of Rock Paper Scissors goes. Certain units defy this though, such as the Musketeer, which can beat or stand up well to light infantry when in the right position and situation.

Attrition is the action or process of gradually reducing the strength or effectiveness of someone or something through sustained attack or pressure. If you can poke into the enemy and weaken his troops or even pick off a few without losing any of your own, you can leverage attrition to catch up to the enemy or to secure your advantage.

Positioning is very important. Your 30 longbowmen will do better vs 10 Hussar if they are in a thick patch of trees than if they are out in the open. This is due to how units path in game. Cavalry are notably bad at finding a target when things are in their way. Take advantage of this.

Cascading Victory is something I find very interesting, and is easily seen in a British Mirror where both players often start musketeers and have identical masses. Whichever player leverages basic micro, positioning, and attrition, gains a small advantage in unit count which then cascades quickly to a victory with most of his units still standing.

These things are the basic things which helped me to improve. I am by no means a pro, but I know how to get from Conscript to Lieutenant.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Re: Conscript to Lieutenant - A Beginner's Guide to Basics

Post by zoom »

It took me about a week. Granted, I was a younger kid, then. Today I would probably never reach 1st. I'm basically a would-be Sucktekh.
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

zoom wrote:It took me about a week. Granted, I was a younger kid, then. Today I would probably never reach 1st.

Getting to 1st in a week from starting is quite good I'd say. I'm curious, did you come from another RTS game? I find people who played the other AOE games or similar games like starcraft do a lot better in AOE3 than a noob to RTS.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

First of all I don't mean literally. However, it did happen during a short period of time. Becoming half-good at the game took me a lot longer. I had played several RTS:s prior. I was ever only any good at C&C Generals, though.

Sam basically started at PR25, on the other hand.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

I think the number 1 way to go from 0 to 25 is to:

1. Learn a build and do it well
2. Make vills and units constantly
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

Good job site :flowers: :love:

Now we just need a guide for getting out od the lieutenant range :hmm:

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

When I get to major I'll write one. Not that smart yet.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I started at pr40
Great Britain ListlessSalmon
Skirmisher
ESO: ListlessSalmon

Post by ListlessSalmon »

Good timing on this! I started playing a few days ago and this seems like it will helpful, thanks :)
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

ListlessSalmon wrote:Good timing on this! I started playing a few days ago and this seems like it will helpful, thanks :)

Awesome! My ESO name is the same as on here. If you every wanna play and I'm on I'd be happy to.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

sdsanft wrote:Good job site :flowers: :love:

(hotkey everything)
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

deleted_user wrote:

(hotkey everything)

I've hotkeyed everything even before I could beat a hard cpu, but my mouse apm is so slow that it makes up for it :hmm:

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

*sees guide for ranking up*
"OOOh I need this! About time something like this came out!"
*realises I am on the upper threshold of the PR range for the guide*
-_-
Zoom I have played pretty much every game in CnC up to Tiberium Dawn. My fave was RA3 which was what I played before AOE
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

deleted_user wrote:

(hotkey everything)

*play 1v1 unr*

For me it was that I watched a lot of top notch YouTube content before playing (Mike21Daisu ftw), picked one particular strategy with which I trained other aspects of my game and simultaneously sometimes played vs the AI to get in better shape.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

wow this guide is awesome. I want to be a great player like great site :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Can't wait for a treaty guide @site
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

Maybe theres still hope for me
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Speaking of guide's where is sirmusket's guide for each of the playable civs?
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

milku3459 wrote:*sees guide for ranking up*
"OOOh I need this! About time something like this came out!"
*realises I am on the upper threshold of the PR range for the guide*
-_-
Zoom I have played pretty much every game in CnC up to Tiberium Dawn. My fave was RA3 which was what I played before AOE
I've really only played Generals.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Great guide! I would say avoiding idle time is the most important thing to improve, I myself suffer from idle town centers all the time. I wouldn't say each civilizations can benefit from a rush, fast fortress, and economic build. Rather I would specify per civilization what their best option is. You're also missing a timing attack in that list, which almost all civilizations use. What I mean by this is that French doesn't have a good rush, but they have a good xbow pike timing, semi fast fortress, and musk huss economic build.

Also this is small but units specified in game with the tag Light Infantry are not actually Light Infantry. In the game units with the tag Light Infantry are units like Coyote Runners and Chakrams (which are not good against heavy infantry).
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

great guide, just a minor thing, when u say that with great micro paper can beat rock, i would rather say it the other way around. In general, if you micro, it's rock paper scissors. However, without micro or if you micro poorly, then paper can beat rocks.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

deleted_user wrote:Speaking of guide's where is sirmusket's guide for each of the playable civs?

he quitted! :kinggreen: :mrgreen: :ugly: :uglylol: :maniac:
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Conscript to Lieutenant General-SirMusket's guide

Linked files: age3y.ct
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Very good guide Site
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

kami_ryu wrote:I think the number 1 way to go from 0 to 25 is to:

1. Learn a build and do it well
2. Make vills and units constantly

Not everyone is a prodigy like you :P :P

It took me quite a while to get half decent.

Then another huge time to get 3/4 decent. Thats where I'm now :biggrin: