Rumours of AOE4 closed-alpha/beta

Great Britain hleung
Retired Contributor
ESO: hleung / cll (DE)

Rumours of AOE4 closed-alpha/beta

Post by hleung »

The following is the translation of the OP in an AOE2 forum. Note: Keep in mind that these are rumours/leaks only! Nothing has been confirmed or backed by any solid evidence
[spoiler=spoiler]Original post by A (posted on the 19th of September at 2.56pm GMT):

Although I feel like such design will result in losing support from the veterans, this might actually be a line of thought. The micro-management of traditional RTS games is much more demanding than that of the MOBA genre, hence giving a very difficult time to new players to learn the basics. It might be essential to lower the need for micro-management.

The replies as follows:

A: Alright. Just another few hours and I could play the closed alpha/beta of Age of Empires 4, and I am looking forward to seeing how it looks like.

B: Replying to A: AOE4? Shouldn’t it be Age of Empires 1 Definitive Edition instead?

C : Replying to A: Shouldn’t Age of Empires 4 still be in pre-alpha planning? What you are playing now might be Age of Empires 1 Definitive Edition.

A: Replying to B: Yes, it is Age of Empires 4. Haven’t played much Age of Empires 1

A: Replying to C : I don’t know since I don’t play much Age of Empires 1

C : Replying to A: Has Age of Empires 4 reached the stage of closed alpha/beta already? How could it be so soon?

A: (random emote)

A: Replying to C : But it might take another while before it is released.

C : Replying to A: I understand now. Thanks man (literally ‘boss’). Would you mind (or be able to) telling us which era would the game be in?

A: Replying to C : Almost all people made the wrong guess.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=spoiler]Another post made by someone on the same day at 11.25pm GMT:

Some of those (‘decisions on features/mechanics’, I guess) are largely based on the balance between realism and playability.

The replies as follows:

D: Nice to meet you. I watched the trailer of (Age of Empires 1) Definitive Edition, and there was a scene where the camera zoomed out from up close to far away (as shown in the screenshot by the first comment), showing that the screen could fit in more units in HD graphics! Extremely spectacular! I hope the fourth generation (Age of Empires 4) is going to have a larger scale for camera zoom, not only will it give people a grander experience, it will also allow the ratios of ranges of different types of unit to be overall closer to real-world values. The first and second generation (Age of Empires 1 and 2) did not have to take such thing into consideration as the era of cold weapons was dominated by close combat.

A: Reply: After trying out the alpha/beta version of Age of Empires 4 today, a few of us, including E and F, would like to point out that the game features which many of you have been worrying about are not going to happen (be in the game). Everyone was very satisfied with (today’s) experience. Then we went to a bar/pub and have been drinking until now, which is already after midnight.[/spoiler]
Let us continue our discussion! :flowers:

Edit: The OP in this thread has been removed as per request by the original author, and is now replaced with a translated version with names hidden as per request.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Re: AOE4 beta has been released!

Post by Gendarme »

Eh... this doesn't even make sense. Is it normal to wait until they almost finished beta to even announce the game?
Pay more attention to detail.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

We thought that MS just started making AOE4, and it'll be 1-2 years before we see it. But they already finished it and are testing it now. Isn't it a good news?
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

I would expect them to release DE long before IV. This all seems so weird. I am not convinced.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

Lol I saw the title and expected it to be a troll/clickbait thread. Awesome if this is true.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Wow, this is incredible!

[redacted]

We had some leaks in the AoE2 community too, but we weren't sure that it was going to be AoE4.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

[redacted]

they shouldn't only invite AOE2 top players to test this. So I guess H2O/mitoe/someone else may have played AOE4 too?
United States of America sc
Dragoon
ESO: _ZOMBIE_

Post by sc »

*heavy breathing*
VIRTZN and CM1993 are my friends and they never cheat. everyone should add them. kappa
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

As far as i know there were only a handful (10) of guests and like 90% of them is from AoE2 (1 or 2 from AoEO). Sounds a bit unfair, yeah, but i just hope the game will be good.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

If the aoe2 players encountered no "bad designs" from their perspective then that makes me worried. :lol:

Idk about the veracity of this aoe4 beta claim anymore.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

I dont buy it frankly. Game is like 3 years away from release. There are all the DE to complete and playtest (just look at how long it took for aoe1:DE from the announcement date).
There is probably nothing at all ready to play yet.

[redacted]
Image Image Image
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

It is a fact though that a lot of AoE2 players are in Vancouver these days at Relic's. If [redacted] is making up this story right now i don't know, but at this point it is not really hard to believe what he is saying.

[redacted]

Also nothing has been done about the leaks that there were in the AoE2 community.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Sounds pretty farfetched to me.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

ye. THey announced aoe 2 and 3 DE and aoe 4. Logic tells me that they will be released in chronological order...
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Bulgaria Khasp
Crossbow

Post by Khasp »

AoE 2 players like AoE4 design. It's doomed!
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

Khasp wrote:AoE 2 players like AoE4 design. It's doomed!

Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Nice fucking watermark.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

I cant see any logic in releasing aoe4 before or even to close to aoe2 and aoe3 DE, it would pretty much guarantee that those games are fails.. I cant say if those leaks are or arent true, but it is so much ilogical that I still believe aoe4 is 2+ years away.

(maybe even they have a "playable concept" that they are using to test mechanics to see what works and what doesnt, before comiting too much res in the wrong direction.. I suppose thats a possibility)
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

The fact that AoE4 will probably come in ~2 years doesn't imply that there can't be a playtest version now. The game might have been in the works for 2 years already for all we know.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Maybe DEs are ready too, so in a year they release all of them.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

HUMMAN wrote:Maybe DEs are ready too, so in a year they release all of them.

They haven't even started work on AoE2:DE and aren't yet sure who will develop the 2 & 3 DEs, according to this announcement: https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/ ... nd_aoe2de/
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

gamevideo113 wrote:It is a fact though that a lot of AoE2 players are in Vancouver these days at Relic's. If [redacted] is making up this story right now i don't know, but at this point it is not really hard to believe what he is saying.

[redacted]

Also nothing has been done about the leaks that there were in the AoE2 community.

Well if that's the case they might be doing some sort of briefing for general feedback/brainstorming. They maybe reached out some aoe3 guys as well.
There is simply no way they have something to play test at this stage, unless they actually started to make the game like 2-3 years ago, in which case it is in play testing stage and will likely be released next year. This obviously sounds very odd.
Image Image Image
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

I heard guys like daut, viper, zac were flying out to relic vancouver over a week ago and then I saw this post and put two and two together. I assumed since FE are managing aoe2 DE it was something different idk? Could all just be a bunch of rumours I guess?

I have easily been misled in the past. :lol:
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

any reason why they would take AOE2 guys rather than AOE3, or at least a mix of both? I don't get it
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

cuz AoE2 is more popular I guess