Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: The problem with walls

Post by edeholland »

Why not in colonial. Fuck it, might make for some interesting strategy.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Cause bastion is moved to fortress so people can't really go super turtle in colonial. Imo trade monopoly should be a potential answer to bastion, so at the same age.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Earlier than industrial sounds awful to me.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Why though
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

its such an irrelevant mechanic who cares either way honestly.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Well on some maps it's relevant. It all depends on the position of the tps
If you can wall up to defend the tp line while the other guy is camping, he's gonna have a hard time contesting them
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

A big part of game is taking resources on the map(hunts, mines ) i dont get why tp's shouldn't be like that, since they are not generally in-base rather away from base to be contested. This perspective of mine also supports the idea natives should be an advantage to owner since you also pay to take the map control, and natives are limited. Discussing is going else where but i wonder what top players would think if natives had no pop limit in sup. (I personally think it wouldnt matter that much, which supports that they are not premium units buff nats zoi)
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Aoe3 is a game designed with relatively few strategic elements. There's shipments which are somewhat one dimensional, and there is the part where you generally have to control natural resources. If you remove the need to control natural resources or remove the punishment for not doing so, then the game doesn't really have much left that's fun. Walls push the game into lategame, and I can't name a single mechanic of aoe3 in the lategame that makes it interesting.

Walls are too cheap for what they do. They should be more expensive, so that actually walling up the entire map costs more than a handful of units. Trade monopoly/Build time/hitpoints aren't actually getting to the core of the problem, which is that walls are simply too cheap.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

Ready?..

Like in AOM...

Make walls cost coin
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Trade monopoly is not exactly the answer to bastion but more like to excessive campy style, including wall spam. And no, it's not a irrelevant mechanic. It was prob devs attempt to counterbalance the abusability of certain game features like walls or water. I think before industrial there isn't really a problem with campy playstyle.
Image Image Image
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I think the main usage of trade monopoly is to counter people hiding on the map. It's really nice to know that at best your opponent will delay the game for 5 minutes.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I like the Jerom wall, cos its strategic and make sense. I do not like 3 layers of walls, - and I certainly don't like 7000hp walls, like Aztec can achieve in the later game. At that point it's not about who has the map or who made the best units, its only about who has the most unbreakable walls
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Garja wrote:Trade monopoly is not exactly the answer to bastion but more like to excessive campy style, including wall spam. And no, it's not a irrelevant mechanic. It was prob devs attempt to counterbalance the abusability of certain game features like walls or water. I think before industrial there isn't really a problem with campy playstyle.
It happens in less than 1 percent of games, can't be used in qs = irrelevant.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

QS is in itself irrelevant
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

gibson wrote:
Garja wrote:Trade monopoly is not exactly the answer to bastion but more like to excessive campy style, including wall spam. And no, it's not a irrelevant mechanic. It was prob devs attempt to counterbalance the abusability of certain game features like walls or water. I think before industrial there isn't really a problem with campy playstyle.

it happens in 1% cause people have 80 iq
Image Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Garja wrote:
gibson wrote:

it happens in 1% cause people have 80 iq
No its irrelevant because its impractical in 99 percent of games.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

It is very practical if you have complete control but you can't end the game. Exactly the case vs wall laming.
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yea like typically pushing in a jap base full of ranged inf and even flaming arrows is a pain, you might lose if you try to commit there with cav, while if you force him to push in the open it's easier
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

iwillspankyou wrote:I like the Jerom wall, cos its strategic and make sense. I do not like 3 layers of walls, - and I certainly don't like 7000hp walls, like Aztec can achieve in the later game. At that point it's not about who has the map or who made the best units, its only about who has the most unbreakable walls

What exactly is a jerom wall?
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

@rsy ask @momuuu he will give you expert advice on it :biggrin:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Tunisia iLolicon
Musketeer
ESO: iLolicon

Post by iLolicon »

Just make pillars un-deletable, like the same as British manors houses. Probably wall spam would be a lot less viable if you had to pay the actual resources.
=
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

rsy wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:I like the Jerom wall, cos its strategic and make sense. I do not like 3 layers of walls, - and I certainly don't like 7000hp walls, like Aztec can achieve in the later game. At that point it's not about who has the map or who made the best units, its only about who has the most unbreakable walls

What exactly is a jerom wall?

A single gate/wall segment between a house/bank/TC/ whatever. Costs 55w and allows you to save your skirms vs the 5 huss raid.