User avatar
Norway iCourt
Retired Contributor
Posts: 584
ESO: iCourt
Location: Monterey, California

18 Nov 2019, 03:44

Hmm... Interesting they choose to go back to the middle ages. Wish they'd have gone for a different time period, but if the game play is solid I am sure I will enjoy it.

Reminds me a bit of Empire Earth art wise.
User avatar
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
Posts: 2529
ESO: Papist

19 Nov 2019, 04:22

bittersalt123 wrote:
Papist wrote:
Show hidden quotes


Why are you dismissing a game you've never played and have no knowledge about aside from what was in a 60 second trailer? Maybe wait for some actual gameplay before you say it's a shit game, yeah?

To answer you question. It's cuz it's medieval and I'm not interested in Medieval. Fair enough?


I suppose. Gameplay has always been far more important to me than the premise but perhaps the same is not true for you.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
User avatar
No Flag silky
Crossbow
Posts: 39

21 Nov 2019, 15:24

We are just going to get AOE2 Reimagined again and again forever because that's the most popular game and will make Micro$oft the most money.

AOE5 announcement: "We really like the medieval era and we thought there were more stories to tell in that period, so we stuck with that."

I didn't want AOE3 Reimagined, just something set a little later, bursting at the seams with frickin' awesomeness.
Death to gendarme-spammers.
No Flag Astaroth
Skirmisher
Posts: 191

21 Nov 2019, 17:52

I doubt that^^

AOE3 will be more like StarWars 7: a remake, but also a way for the fans to show that they are still very interested etc. If it succeeds, future age of-titles will be more ambitious, I'm sure.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Skirmisher
Posts: 175

21 Nov 2019, 17:58

silky wrote:We are just going to get AOE2 Reimagined again and again forever because that's the most popular game and will make Micro$oft the most money.

AOE5 announcement: "We really like the medieval era and we thought there were more stories to tell in that period, so we stuck with that."

I didn't want AOE3 Reimagined, just something set a little later, bursting at the seams with frickin' awesomeness.

Isnt that usually the entire point of remakes? To take a thing that worked and iterate on it? It doesnt make much sense if you try to remake something, then just ignore the things that made it work and make a different game.

So of course they're going to look at the eras and realise that the medieval era worked. So then they iterate on that of course.

If you wanted something new, you just didnt want an aoe4, you wanted a new rts game
User avatar
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
Posts: 2182
ESO: lemmings121

21 Nov 2019, 18:03

I'm just triggered that everyone is talking about the "gameplay trailer", where there is absolutelly zero gameplay info.
After the trailer we know that the game is in medieval age, and nothing else. you cant even say that the game is a RTS from that trailer lol.

I just hope they have a bit of courage to bring something new, they dont need to change everything, but also cant just make it AGE2-HD-DE-3D.
User avatar
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
Posts: 636
ESO: NekoBerk
Location: Barcelona

22 Nov 2019, 09:22

It would be so much better like an Empire Earth type game. You start with cavemen and you end up being in the WW2 or something.
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
User avatar
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor
EPL Reigning Champs
Posts: 7973

22 Nov 2019, 09:30

Nah it wouldn't. Balancing the game would become pretty much impossible, and most of the ages wouldn't ever be relevant. The competitive community would just settle on an age to start in that is the least unbalanced and anything before that or too far after that never sees play. You would have wasted time on unit modeling, balancing and a ton of other stuff relating to those ages, that you could've spent improving the ones people actually play. Hell, even in AoE3 which has only 5 ages we almost never see imperial in 1v1s.
EE's design was too ambitious. Granted it was fun for single player, though.
No Flag Astaroth
Skirmisher
Posts: 191

22 Nov 2019, 10:27

Honestly, not a big fan of EE, even for single player. The idea sounds fun, but all of it seems very immersion breaking and alternate history (much more so than unhistorical stuff in aoe3, which at least doesn't break the suspension of disbelelief): knights fighting tanks etc?

It also seems annoying that many ages are barely worth it or just get skipped all the time. In aoe3, aside from Imperial, all ages seem kinda unique and useful.
User avatar
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Howdah
Posts: 1903

23 Nov 2019, 00:23

Astaroth wrote:Honestly, not a big fan of EE, even for single player. The idea sounds fun, but all of it seems very immersion breaking and alternate history (much more so than unhistorical stuff in aoe3, which at least doesn't break the suspension of disbelelief): knights fighting tanks etc?

It also seems annoying that many ages are barely worth it or just get skipped all the time. In aoe3, aside from Imperial, all ages seem kinda unique and useful.



Yeah, imperial is so less used in standard games that lovers of it had to make a genre of NR to be able to play it at its finest. Getting to brawl armies of various counters, with full ups, to each civs strengths. Potentially I see that happening with AOE 4 because of how different each civ will be. Remember AOE2 did allow certain militaria units age 1. so aging might be more important for some civs in the regards and play better in others. total speculation but you almost have to do that to make so many civs different and viable, like AOE 3. That level of countering is more like rock paper scissors though and some civs could make some tough combos

Also to note looking at ranged units how distance over height may be used as well as travel speed on hills and smoother modern AI dynamics is going to make for some interesting speculation that a game well designed like this could be the new Chess. A game that is easy to play, but impossible to master.

PS> HIre me!
No Flag harcha
Skirmisher
Posts: 199

24 Nov 2019, 13:19

Well imperial has it's place in supremacy - when IV game goes to a standstill, the one who can get 50% upgrades on units first will be able to break the standstill quite easily. other than that upgrade, every tech and card is already available in IV, this is why usually deatchmatch is capped in IV. you can get gloriously big fights in IV just as well...
User avatar
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Howdah
Posts: 1903

25 Nov 2019, 02:36

harcha wrote:Well imperial has it's place in supremacy - when IV game goes to a standstill, the one who can get 50% upgrades on units first will be able to break the standstill quite easily. other than that upgrade, every tech and card is already available in IV, this is why usually deatchmatch is capped in IV. you can get gloriously big fights in IV just as well...


Age 4 is some of the best fighting I experience in FFA. Where there is a lil on the line, and have to make tougher choices, but like you said can fight a lot in it still if everyone else is still age 4. infact since all imperial does is basically increase your strength 50% and your gathering 50% you aren't really going to drain any faster because your age 4 units took just as long to die facing each other and the cost was adjusted as such. so it is even needed? I guess in that tie breaker scenario yes... Unfortunately not many competitive games I have seen have gone to imperial. In FFA it is wise to seek that peacefully. I would like to see them develop a mode specifically for TR games as well so that they recognize the balance of how civs will react when played with "unlimited" eco. Also in this game.... better have more than mines and trade for coin
Sweden Victor_swe
Dragoon
Donator 01
Posts: 279

25 Nov 2019, 20:08

Looks shit but who knows
Dead hunts cant walk....
Or backherd!
User avatar
No Flag 91
Dragoon
Donator 01
Posts: 473

25 Nov 2019, 21:00

Victor_swe wrote:Looks shit but who knows

I felt the same but I know relic has done some great work on CoH so I do have a lot of faith in this one! Still always a risk of failure of course..
User avatar
United States of America evilcheadar
Jaeger
Posts: 4195
Location: USA

25 Nov 2019, 22:30

why doesn't it look like aoe3
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
User avatar
Bolivia tedere12
Jaeger
Posts: 3350
ESO: Tedere12
Location: Greece

25 Nov 2019, 22:48

I don't think the epoch range would matter much in game balance. It's impossible for all ages to be played out in a game, even in aoe3 with only 5 ages, we see game reaching imperial in 0,1% of supremacy games. It would be really hard to for age gaps to be created and ruin the game balance and appeal of the game by having fights between units from different eras. I've played the first two Empire Earth games on multiplayer and have never experienced the swordsmen vs tanks scenario everyone's been criticizing EE series for. Epochs progress slowly and it's hard for an age gap to be created.
Image
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Skirmisher
Posts: 175

26 Nov 2019, 13:34

tedere12 wrote:I don't think the epoch range would matter much in game balance. It's impossible for all ages to be played out in a game, even in aoe3 with only 5 ages, we see game reaching imperial in 0,1% of supremacy games. It would be really hard to for age gaps to be created and ruin the game balance and appeal of the game by having fights between units from different eras. I've played the first two Empire Earth games on multiplayer and have never experienced the swordsmen vs tanks scenario everyone's been criticizing EE series for. Epochs progress slowly and it's hard for an age gap to be created.

To be fair, you don't usually go age 5 because everything about it is overpriced.
User avatar
Romania Dolan
Jaeger
Posts: 4281
Location: aka Neuron

01 Dec 2019, 15:33

BTW, the Witcher 3 Wild Hunt has better graphics than this AOE4 trailer and it was released by a Polish studio in 2015 :uglylol:
It was built with a pre-made engine, so it was probably even cheaper to develop than this AOE4.



pape
I love good randomness; highly addictive.
Italy Mosx
Dragoon
Posts: 323
ESO: Mosx themoxie
Location: Viareggio,Italy

01 Dec 2019, 15:49

Are u serious?
User avatar
India Challenger_Marco
Lancer
Posts: 910
ESO: TheJASS
Location: Massachusetts ,Boston

01 Dec 2019, 15:52

@Dolan no multiplayer for witcher 3 and also you can the game for free whats the point lol.
User avatar
Romania Dolan
Jaeger
Posts: 4281
Location: aka Neuron

01 Dec 2019, 16:48

@Challenger_Marco It's not the multiplayer part which is the heaviest load on the computer. It's game engine stuff like graphics, which runs only on the client PC. Multiplayer stuff is typically just commands and numbers like "move unit X to coordinate Z:Y on the map and play animation state W". Graphics are the heaviest load and they don't run on the server.
I love good randomness; highly addictive.
User avatar
India Challenger_Marco
Lancer
Posts: 910
ESO: TheJASS
Location: Massachusetts ,Boston

01 Dec 2019, 16:54

It doesnt have multiplayer why ur comparing to aoe4...
User avatar
Tuvalu gibson
Gendarme
Posts: 9033
Location: USA

01 Dec 2019, 16:56

Dolan wrote:BTW, the Witcher 3 Wild Hunt has better graphics than this AOE4 trailer and it was released by a Polish studio in 2015 :uglylol:
It was built with a pre-made engine, so it was probably even cheaper to develop than this AOE4.



pape
Apples to oranges. Ofc a story based rpg is going to have better graphics than an rts.....
User avatar
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Howdah
Posts: 1903

02 Dec 2019, 00:17

I think the graphics look great to start. and possibly they can add or remove textures but everything has a nice clean and easy to read across the screen. And its vibrancy is appealing. Its a great choice I think. I really don't see witcher being any better actually just different styles
User avatar
Romania Dolan
Jaeger
Posts: 4281
Location: aka Neuron

04 Dec 2019, 03:45

AOE4 map leaked

AOE4 map
I love good randomness; highly addictive.

Forum Info