What will the definitive edition be?

Well?

A direct recreation of the original game, with balance, UI, and bugs in-tact, just with better graphics
21%
The same but the bugs are fixed (RIP Alt+d)
6%
The same but the Homecity annoyance is changed so you don't have to use a workaround to play the game enjoyable
6%
Balance is changed in a way that makes ESOC happy
4%
Balance is changed in a way that makes ESOC pissed (obviously more likely)
17%
Entire new civs are added, but the balance with other civs isn't changed, making people mad
4%
Entire new civs are added, and the balance with other civs is changed, making people mad
12%
Pay to win
8%
It's everything everybody wants all at once but the invite spammer is still able to make it unplayable
23%

Total votes: 52

No Flag bepsi
Musketeer

Re: What will the definitive edition be?

Post by bepsi »

@deleted_user4

I'm critical of the fan-patch only narrative, especially since the purpose of the community from inception was to serve as a locus for the age 3 community as whole, at the time scattered across a multitude of websites (PK, rts-sanc, jp etc). In fact I think ESOC would be better off if it dropped the proselytizing attitude in regards to the patch and instead tried to reckon where the true interests of the community as whole lie (not necessarily best interests, think populism) and tried to cater events accordingly. Just my 2 ¢.
No Flag bepsi
Musketeer

Post by bepsi »

In saying this I'm also ultimately sympathetic to the fact that pro players want to play on a more balanced patch and on maps designed for competitive play. My only critique is that this shouldn't be the sole purpose of the community, completely disregarding the vast bulk of players for whom sheer entertainment is the most important.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

deleted_user wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
deleted_user wrote:Idk I think EP 7 is better than EP 6 tbh, and that's a statement that is (((seemingly))) separate me meeting the balancer in person. Certain exceptions exist but idk how to deal with them without way more time and resources (sioux). You hated EP6, man. But now it's OK because there's a more exciting patch out to hate more. You're a sheep?

I think all EPs > RE. So if the devs choose anything from ESOC to act as base balance I'll be content. And I have a hunch they'll do just that.
I didn't hate EP6 at all, that's a fake news lol.

I hated the first version of EP6 which was even worse than EP7, but eventually it changed into a normal patch I hardly criticized.
OK, then maybe EP 7 will too?
EP 7 has many useless changes (which final EP6 didn't) and some big changes I dislike. These are not going to be reverted.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

bepsi wrote:In saying this I'm also ultimately sympathetic to the fact that pro players want to play on a more balanced patch and on maps designed for competitive play. My only critique is that this shouldn't be the sole purpose of the community, completely disregarding the vast bulk of players for whom sheer entertainment is the most important.
I don't think they're disregarding RE players at all. You can type on esoc and watch esoc tourneys without playing on EP. I think it's the case for a decent amount of people.
Then again, the more casual and lower level players tend to just care less about this kind of community and website. They just play the game with their friends. I'm not sure what esoc could do to attract these people honestly.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

bepsi wrote:As a matter of fact there has been a recent surge - often tallying around 2k users - on the ESO servers. Sadly this spike in activity is not reflected on the (only relevant) community webpage.
It's essentially just the regular Steam sales cycle. It's been reflected in the number of signups/activity on ESOC, and our team was even able to cooperate with Microsoft to direct more of those new players our way (through social media). Not exactly sure what other reflection you're looking for, perhaps the population statistics page provided by ESOC?
bepsi wrote:In fact I think ESOC would be better off if it dropped the proselytizing attitude in regards to the patch and instead tried to reckon where the true interests of the community as whole lie (not necessarily best interests, think populism) and tried to cater events accordingly.
What is possibly preventing RE players from watching and enjoying high level events played on ESOC Patch?! Are the "true" interests of the community watching iro mirrors and cheater duels on RE? :hmm:
Not to mention, what about the numerous fun format events played during the ESOC Grand Tours?
bepsi wrote:My only critique is that this shouldn't be the sole purpose of the community, completely disregarding the vast bulk of players for whom sheer entertainment is the most important.
Even claiming that ESOC completely disregards RE is just ridiculous.

What about the Strategy Wall? Single best place on the internet to get RE strategy advice.
What about the ESOC maps installer, specifically crafted for RE compatibility, always containing the latest versions of ESOC maps anyone can play on RE?
What about the ESOC Ladder being maintained for RE?
What about the ESOC Patch installer automatically fixing multiple game-breaking RE issues, and almost all the game options offered by ESOC Patch Launcher being usable with RE?
What about the XPMOD, specifically benefiting new players the most, and being easier than ever due to the efforts of ESOC?

If anything, one could argue we've put too much work into RE support (a patch most likely on its deathbed, might I remind you).
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Kaiserklein wrote:
bepsi wrote:In saying this I'm also ultimately sympathetic to the fact that pro players want to play on a more balanced patch and on maps designed for competitive play. My only critique is that this shouldn't be the sole purpose of the community, completely disregarding the vast bulk of players for whom sheer entertainment is the most important.
I don't think they're disregarding RE players at all. You can type on esoc and watch esoc tourneys without playing on EP. I think it's the case for a decent amount of people.
Then again, the more casual and lower level players tend to just care less about this kind of community and website. They just play the game with their friends. I'm not sure what esoc could do to attract these people honestly.
EP is far from the RE though and the patch notes are too long to read so it's hard to watch an EP game without playing it.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

This kind of player doesn't care about balance changes, only extreme stuff like sioux teepees boosting eco can be off putting
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Germany Aramir
Crossbow
ESO: blackout_

Post by Aramir »

The difference between re and ep is not significant for casual players. When u watch a stream or something it's not that obvious on which patch the game is played for example. At least for basicly everybody on low ranks which all of the new players who just recently got the game are.
Still I think it could be done more to attract new players and explain stuff. Feels like a lot of new players who got the game on steam play on the nilla version because it's mistakenly called complete edition on steam. Also the problem with the failed to join games is a big deal which leads to people stop playing the game fast.

Ed. A bit off topic I think but w/e :D
Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

Aramir wrote: Feels like a lot of new players who got the game on steam play on the nilla version because it's mistakenly called complete edition on steam.
It is the complete edition, it's very easy to install and play the game.
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
Germany Aramir
Crossbow
ESO: blackout_

Post by Aramir »

When u click on playing the game on steam it gives u 3 options: complete edition, twc and tad. complete edition is the nilla version and not the complete version
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Yeah, the barrier of entry is actually super thick. This is the most basic thing I'm hoping the DE can solve. If nothing else, it's gotta make the game more accessible.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I hope MS won't implement EP balance changes to DE. That would be sad because EP doesn't represent the opinion of top players but a few losers….
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

rekt
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Greece giannisKING
Skirmisher
ESO: 4fr33d0m

Post by giannisKING »

deleted_user wrote:I hope MS won't implement EP balance changes to DE. That would be sad because EP doesn't represent the opinion of top players but a few losers….
Name the top players and the few losers.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Loot crates will be big, and people will spawn them
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums