Official Best Movies Thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Re: Official Best Movies Thread

Post by Djigit »

Vinyanyérë wrote:I'm putting Lord of the Rings as my favorite film and you can't tell me what to do. Another film that I think is one of the best is Children of Men. Some others I like are Dazed and Confused, The Princess Bride, Conspiracy, The Class (Entre les murs), Infinitely Polar Bear, Ex Machina. Rogue One showed that Star Wars films can be good.
It seems so weird that somebody heard of it on the other side of the Atlantic :shock:
Same for @sebnan12
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

So @Vinyanyérë I finished Children of Men. Thanks fo the recommendation; I hated it [because it was so g**d blah blah]. It was not pleasant to watch. I get why it's your favorite. That single take.
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

Why do you think it's my favorite?
duck
:mds:
imo
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Vinyanyérë wrote:Why do you think it's my favorite?
Thish ish me making assumptions of someone, which never works out, but Children of Men really makes me feel like I'm facism.
Canada Warno
Dragoon
Donator 08
ESO: Warno

Post by Warno »

I may be in the minority but I find it difficult to watch the older top rated movies (citizen kane, casablanca), I have tried a few times but can't get through them.

I really enjoy gritty, more mature thrillers with great soundtracks and/or landscapes:
Prisoners, Sicario, Revenant, 12 years a slave, Se7en all come to mind at the moment but there are a bunch more.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Sicario was definitely really good. The sequel looked pretty uninteresting though so I never saw it
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

@Goodspeed you should make a thread of best movies like TV shows and maintain a list. I don't trust callen to keep it neat and organized.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I'm not qualified to do that. I don't watch enough movies
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

The Shawshank Redemption
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

The Big Short is a good movie
Germany rnmrtzk
Musketeer
ESO: rnmrtzk

Post by rnmrtzk »

iNcog wrote:I really want to see Parasite and 1917.
Parasite is pretty cool :)
look wrote:I Opened the TAD today
it looks like i was in paradise
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

no order here but great movies

the spanish prisoner
lawrence of arabia
short circuit/ short curcuit 2
live action teenage mutant ninja turtles
braveheart
ivanhoe (many versions are good but the BBC series is the most complete and best)
and for cartoons, land before time
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

shot caller, felon
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

@howlingwolfpaw I rewatched the live action TMNT recently and it really holds up
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Germany Oliveza
Pro Player
ESO: Oliveza

Post by Oliveza »

Last Movie i rlly enjoyed was Good Will Hunting
And also my fav Ghibli movie Princess Mononoke
:mds: > BIGS
India Frosty_2
Musketeer

Post by Frosty_2 »

The Gods must be crazy 1 and 2
tan tan tan ..tantatan.. tantatan.. tantatan...
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

fightinfrenchman wrote:@howlingwolfpaw I rewatched the live action TMNT recently and it really holds up

I just saw it was on netflix, so I watched em both last night. Still great movies live action and practical effects I think will always remain timeless. It was both a serious and comedic movie and that too helped make it an awesome part of history. I really wished they had gone with krang villain and more mutants for TNMT 3. Some missed opportunity for not having Bebop and Rocksteady which to this day no one seems to know why they went with toka and razar. I did enjoy the 2 recent live action/ CGI flicks but would have prefer ed animatronic, the CGI just lends itself to too much goofiness.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

United States of America bittersalt123
Howdah

Post by bittersalt123 »

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes hands down is the best movie ever created.

"It makes a lot of sense to me that you're a Floridian." fightinfrenchman

Who needs water when you've got Brawndo – The Thirst Mutilator?

Secretary of State: But Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes
Germany Oliveza
Pro Player
ESO: Oliveza

Post by Oliveza »

shawshank redemption
:mds: > BIGS
No Flag juhjuh
Musketeer
ESO: MIstress_Shy

Post by juhjuh »

Goodspeed wrote:I think my problem with movies is explained by my taste in TV shows. I tend to be a big fan of character-based shows. Building characters is time consuming. Movies don't have time.

Finding movies that "move me deeply in one way or another" (Ebert's words) is rare for me. I'm a fan of Tarantino's stuff maybe because to me he uses the medium how it should be used: For short, "action"-packed stories with a focus on clever writing and humor over building believable and relatable characters. Because why waste time on that when the whole thing ends after 2 hours? Which is not to say that there aren't good "serious" movies, maybe my point is rather that if you're looking for something serious why would you limit yourself to something so short? It's no surprise therefore that LOTR and the Godfather (yeah, yeah I know I'm not supposed to mention these), which are both closer to a 1-season show than a movie, are also favorites of mine.

Writers and producers are also figuring out that cinema may not be the medium to tell a serious story with real characters, which explains the general decline in movie quality. Because what's the height of cinema in 2019? The fucking Irishman? The gazillionth generic mob story? Fuck outta here. Or is the height of modern cinema the Marvel franchise? Yeah, sounds about right.

That said, I'll put "Synecdoche, New York" on my watch list and highly recommend "2001: A space odyssey" since you apparently haven't seen that.
Many great books also have just 200 or pages but super Deep charakters like "never let me go". I dont think you need 20 houers of film to get a Deep and moving story. Fantasy Storys are longer by there nature so its not really surprising for lotr or game of thrones to be longer then a standart movie.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

juhjuh wrote:Many great books also have just 200 or pages but super Deep charakters like "never let me go". I dont think you need 20 houers of film to get a Deep and moving story. Fantasy Storys are longer by there nature so its not really surprising for lotr or game of thrones to be longer then a standart movie.
It's much easier, takes much less "screen time" to build characters in books because you can express their thoughts.
I dont think you need 20 houers of film to get a Deep and moving story.
You don't need it, but the time constraints are quite limiting in what kind of story you can tell and how you can tell it. In my experience, character development is the first thing that gets axed. And it's understandable. Say you're a movie editor and you have 3 hours of film, and you have to condense it to 2 hours. The first thing you cut is scenes that deepen your characters rather than develop your plot, because if you cut plot development then your story doesn't make sense. Characters making sense is understandably viewed as less important.

But my point was never that it's impossible to have believable and proportionately developed characters in movies. Just that it's more rare, and not as rewarding to watch for me. If I care about the characters, I'd prefer to see them interact with each other and the world for more than an hour and a half. And if I were a screenplay writer wanting to tell a character-based story I would certainly turn to TV. Because why limit yourself?

It's no surprise, therefore, that the best character-based dramas are found on TV these days.
No Flag juhjuh
Musketeer
ESO: MIstress_Shy

Post by juhjuh »

Goodspeed wrote:
juhjuh wrote:Many great books also have just 200 or pages but super Deep charakters like "never let me go". I dont think you need 20 houers of film to get a Deep and moving story. Fantasy Storys are longer by there nature so its not really surprising for lotr or game of thrones to be longer then a standart movie.
It's much easier, takes much less "screen time" to build characters in books because you can express their thoughts.
I dont think you need 20 houers of film to get a Deep and moving story.
You don't need it, but the time constraints are quite limiting in what kind of story you can tell and how you can tell it. In my experience, character development is the first thing that gets axed. And it's understandable. Say you're a movie editor and you have 3 hours of film, and you have to condense it to 2 hours. The first thing you cut is scenes that deepen your characters rather than develop your plot, because if you cut plot development then your story doesn't make sense. Characters making sense is understandably viewed as less important.

But my point was never that it's impossible to have believable and proportionately developed characters in movies. Just that it's more rare, and not as rewarding to watch for me. If I care about the characters, I'd prefer to see them interact with each other and the world for more than an hour and a half. And if I were a screenplay writer wanting to tell a character-based story I would certainly turn to TV. Because why limit yourself?

It's no surprise, therefore, that the best character-based dramas are found on TV these days.
idk how much you read but im breety sure that that TV series do not have better and deeper characters then books. Did you ever read a book by Kazuo Ishiguro or Murakami? There are a lot of films with out much of an Story line. Films witch are based on characters. In the film never let me go The Autor wants to discribe a life in witch peaple know that they will die at Young age and isent interrested in them trying to Escape there faith withy a lot of Action. but you ofcurse cant tell a Story like the Lord of the rings in tow houers.

Most of thsoe really Long series like GOT Focus on a lot of different characters and places and have very Long and complicated Worlds and storys but that dosent mean that characters become deeper. It is just a difference of Story telling and witch kind of Story you want to tell.

I guess we both like those types of Storys but i wouldent say ist a better Format
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

For the record my comparison is between TV and movies. I'm not saying TV shows tend to have deeper characters than books. The inability to describe characters' thoughts without resorting to narration is a pretty major handicap.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Goodspeed wrote:For the record my comparison is between TV and movies. I'm not saying TV shows tend to have deeper characters than books. The inability to describe characters' thoughts without resorting to narration is a pretty major handicap.
In principle TV shows have a lot more room for character development.

In practice TV shows often have a much lower budget per scene, so the acting tends to be much worse and the writing tends to be worse too. They often also prolong these shows for way too long. I feel like a good movie tends to have decent character development compared to most TV shows.