so, high PR players, why don't you play FFA?

Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Re: so, high PR players, why don't you play FFA?

Post by Interjection »

Fully agree with Somppu & Ede here.

As a man who's spent hundreds of hours both casting, and making FFA scenarios, I think I'm uniquely qualified to talk about this game mode.

FFA needs external rules/forces to make the players fight each other and be interesting, otherwise, the optimal strategy is doing nothing. For example, a system where players score points for 'killing' players, or gathering the most type of a resource. These are quite subjective though.

The best FFA experience I came up with was an RNG minigame with crates spawning at set locations to incentivize map control
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

It’s too random. I played in samurai revolutions ffa tourney and I guess I had a bullseye on my back since I was the highest pr player in the group cause I got rushed by 2 other players. I managed to survive but it didn’t matter cause people were already age 5 while I was still age 3.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

just rush the nearest person and then quit when youved burned their tc
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

Hazza54321 wrote:just rush the nearest person and then quit when youved burned their tc
see, at least someone is thinkin like an FFA player. now get 8 pros on a map together with this mindset and we'd have a GAME
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

FFAs are super fun. it's not about skill. it's memes laughter and diplomacy
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

Except for LAN with friends, I've never had a fun FFA game, I either get bored with booming or get gang-banged which I'm sure is fun for some, but not for me.

edit: I'm not high pr
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

UpMySleeves wrote:or get gang-banged which I'm sure is fun for some, but not for me.
:hmm:
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

iNcog wrote:FFAs are super fun. it's not about skill. it's memes laughter and diplomacy
with high PR players, it could be about memes, laughter, diplomacy, AND skill

I very much agree with @Interjection though-- a system to incentivize attacking would be really fun. Maybe this should be a feature of the EP patch :hmm:

but also just want to stress that I don't think a built in diplomacy feature is a good idea. diplomacy is much more chaotic and fun when it's all negotiated through chat!
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

on a map that doesn't allow camping like tiny ffa scenario by @Interjection or on my death valley map a ffa might be more interesting but in general it's a no skill, boring, non-competitive gamemode... it's fun for some for whatever reason, but not if you want to play competitively
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Also a good strategy is not have the respect of your opponents. If people respect you then you’ll get pressured or teamed against more. So somehow you have to simultaneously be mediocre and boom.

In lower games people don’t really know each other so that helps a lot
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

_H2O wrote:Also a good strategy is not have the respect of your opponents. If people respect you then you’ll get pressured or teamed against more. So somehow you have to simultaneously be mediocre and boom.

In lower games people don’t really know each other so that helps a lot
yup, that's the dynamic that makes FFA interesting, imo. it's a mind game.
Great Britain thomasgreen6
Lancer
ESO: Thomasgreen6

Post by thomasgreen6 »

edeholland wrote:The problem is that high PR players are generally competitive players. If you play competitively, the best strategy is either to all attack the best player or to just camp all game. Attacking someone will always put you on a disadvantage compared to others.
Not if it's regicide and diplo though. That way you can snipe to win.
'I'm gonna win this and I'm just gonna enjoy it' - Tibia 2k18

http://www.Twitch.tv/thomasgreen6
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

FFA could be remotely interesting only on a map with, say, super low resources, or a super strong TP line. Or whatever that forces you to fight for mapcontrol.

Otherwise, as other people mentioned, there's absolutely no reason to ever be aggressive, unless you don't care about winning the game.

Probably can't be too many (say, more than 4) players either, because then regardless of how important map control is, it just won't be worth weakening yourself by fighting another player
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

I just kinda think people are underestimating the conflict that would immediately emerge in FFA. I don't think its necessarily advantageous in all circumstances to sit and boom and do nothing. For one, there are some civs that you can't afford to let boom, and you need to take out earlier-- ports or china for example. Also, it's advantageous to take as much of the map as possible by walling, not just for resources but for control over choke points and simply being huge so there's more your opponent has to destroy. The fight for map control would produce conflicts very quickly.

also, again, the goal of FFA is to show off. I guess everyone could all just play Ports and boom forever and never fight, but that won't win you eternal fame. Afterall, PR is just a number, isn't eternal fame what you're after?
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I have though about being a FFA streamer, I think though that would effect how people treat me in game. Like sniping my stream and looking for me weakness or position its already bad enough how many players target to rush me, I do not really like fighting age 2, and getting stuck in an age 2 fight does really kill your chances later on, age late3-4 battles are the most fun though because if it goes on too long people abuse walls. And you can still continue to boom, and get your XP faster so that you can fight a boomer when they transition. There is a window where they have a weakness. But its not an auto loss, If a player can't fight better then you, can drain them of a thousand point lead.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:I have though about being a FFA streamer, I think though that would effect how people treat me in game. Like sniping my stream and looking for me weakness or position its already bad enough how many players target to rush me, I do not really like fighting age 2, and getting stuck in an age 2 fight does really kill your chances later on, age late3-4 battles are the most fun though because if it goes on too long people abuse walls. And you can still continue to boom, and get your XP faster so that you can fight a boomer when they transition. There is a window where they have a weakness. But its not an auto loss, If a player can't fight better then you, can drain them of a thousand point lead.
I don't think that FFA will provide you with the right vibrations or crystal frequency for you to be able to enjoy the gamemode thoroughly.
FFA Players usually gang up on who omits the highest oscillation :flowers:
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

FFA would be more rewarding if there was point mechanics suggested this is on samrev discord server before.Will copy paste it here.
:nwc:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Yeah I like the idea of a point reward system, and then cast a $100 dollar FFA game on ESOC.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

aaryngend wrote:
howlingwolfpaw wrote:I have though about being a FFA streamer, I think though that would effect how people treat me in game. Like sniping my stream and looking for me weakness or position its already bad enough how many players target to rush me, I do not really like fighting age 2, and getting stuck in an age 2 fight does really kill your chances later on, age late3-4 battles are the most fun though because if it goes on too long people abuse walls. And you can still continue to boom, and get your XP faster so that you can fight a boomer when they transition. There is a window where they have a weakness. But its not an auto loss, If a player can't fight better then you, can drain them of a thousand point lead.
I don't think that FFA will provide you with the right vibrations or crystal frequency for you to be able to enjoy the gamemode thoroughly.
FFA Players usually gang up on who omits the highest oscillation :flowers:

sometimes that's the fun part about it. whether to win or lose in a 2v1 situation you know you already won any single matchups.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

I remember most FFA games tunring into ''killing the french player before instant cuirs'' or ''kill the russian before box opri''. FFA always requires some kind of gimmick to be fun and if t90 community games are any indication then these could include:

- king of the hill
- Relic ( so Trade monopoly)
- regicide
- single resource (forest nothing)
- battle royale (shrinking map)
- diplo ( which could be the most fun since EP has it now)
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Challenger_Marco wrote:FFA would be more rewarding if there was point mechanics suggested this is on samrev discord server before.Will copy paste it here.

I have suggested it as well.
Lets say you have like 30 players interested, play several mixed up games each awarding points to create a listing to get to the top players, then the last game is winner takes all.

possible awards could go for:
best kill ratio
most kills
player take downs outs
take out home TC
first to imperial
first to take someone out
last man standing
bonus points if choosing a native civ?
taking out a factory

Should also lose points if 2v1.... they may cast that player out to win the final victory points but won't accrue as many as if they actually did the work to take someone out.
minus points for each layer of walls from outside to economy/ factories (maybe 2 free layers then minus for each more)

I do suggest banning france, it is OP civ for FFA

I would love to help cast
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

helln00 wrote:I remember most FFA games tunring into ''killing the french player before instant cuirs'' or ''kill the russian before box opri''. FFA always requires some kind of gimmick to be fun and if t90 community games are any indication then these could include:

- king of the hill
- Relic ( so Trade monopoly)
- regicide
- single resource (forest nothing)
- battle royale (shrinking map)
- diplo ( which could be the most fun since EP has it now)

The heart of the FFA community plays on large maps, that is where the most dynamic play occurs, and takes the strategy of to rush or not, to run or not, to let that running player live to get revenge or not type high level thinking occurs.
Though is ESOC is funding it, should play on the FFA maps they created.

BTW we just reached 200 memebers in our clan! not all are active of course but we have more than doubled in like the past 6 months.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

When I played the game more I liked to play FFA a lot. However, I agree that playing for winning FFAs is boring, but it's fun when you play for trying wacky strategies (examples: China: FF flamethrower spam, Dutch: revo with banks and saloon, Germany: mercs + Argentinian revo with imperial howitzers, France: Grenadier FI, Japan: mercs, Russia: priests, Spain: Ronins with unction and other ups, Sioux: scout rush) and resign when you did all you could do or when late game starts

King of the Hill, although less played, is also very interesting, it gives memorable games
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

P i k i l i c wrote:When I played the game more I liked to play FFA a lot. However, I agree that playing for winning FFAs is boring, but it's fun when you play for trying wacky strategies (examples: China: FF flamethrower spam, Dutch: revo with banks and saloon, Germany: mercs + Argentinian revo with imperial howitzers, France: Grenadier FI, Japan: mercs, Russia: priests, Spain: Ronins with unction and other ups, Sioux: scout rush) and resign when you did all you could do or when late game starts

King of the Hill, although less played, is also very interesting, it gives memorable games
I do wish more played KOTH, that is some fun. and the games are fast so once you get a lobby going most will want to try again and again
Too bad you can not pick how long the timer has to stay on, if you straight do not build vills and just age up fast can almost get a free win.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

howlingwolfpaw wrote: Too bad you can not pick how long the timer has to stay on, if you straight do not build vills and just age up fast can almost get a free win.
Who are you playing with that makes that strategy viable? I would siege down your tc after a few minutes.