Educational Commentary

Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Educational Commentary

Post by Mitoe »

Hey everyone, I'd like to do more commentary on my currently very inactive youtube channel, since streaming is hard to do with my work schedule & with other people usually streaming during the hours I am available. That and it's hard to find games if I stream anyway.

So if you'd like me to cast a recorded game, feel free to submit one! Please try to include close games as I think those are often more interesting and have more to talk about. Provide a brief description of the game and your thoughts on it, and I'll take a look.

I can't promise I'll look at every recorded game I receive but I'll try to cast a good deal of them.
France iNcog
Ninja

Re: Educational Commentary

Post by iNcog »

Yay! This is the kind of content that is sorely missed! f yes

if only i played lol
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

I should probably have a couple entertaining leut games, gotta go through my rec folder
Belgium LegalPenguin
Musketeer
ESO: LegalPenguin

Post by LegalPenguin »

Would you like to cast lower level gameplay as well? And what about team games? Good initiative, @Mitoe !
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ...
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

LegalPenguin wrote:Would you like to cast lower level gameplay as well? And what about team games? Good initiative, @Mitoe !
Team games are much more hectic to cast tbh ,i feel like giving 1v1s recs are better,
:nwc:
Germany Makrokosmos12
Skirmisher
ESO: Templer12

Post by Makrokosmos12 »

Sometimes you just appreciate what a nice guy Mitoe is.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Other times you think mr pulchandski is a Complete cunt
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Victor_swe »

He just ur friend buddy.
Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

LegalPenguin wrote:Would you like to cast lower level gameplay as well? And what about team games? Good initiative, @Mitoe !
Doesn’t matter what level it is, I think.

I would prefer not to do team games, just because I’m not as knowledgeable or interested in them. I could cast high level (PR35+) team games because I find it easier to find stuff to talk about in those games.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

I have some recs you could try, probably not the best quality play though

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
No Flag genki_
Crossbow

Post by genki_ »

@Mitoe

vs a very difficult style of RE (the only real patch) Japan. Thank you if you cast it
Attachments
[RE SP] spider_xiande[JP] vs genkidama[FR] - Yellow River.age3yrec
(569.95 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Yellow River
Yellow River
Rules: Supremacy (1v1)
Version: Official Patch (Legacy)
Length: 34 minutes
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Can you teach me how to loser 20+ vils to 4 kanya??
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

just watch any mitoe gameplay vs iro
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I really hope though that the commentary is focused on lt col+ players. I don't really want to watch a video where the advice is "make vills," "macro better," and "pay attention to raids." I think it would be a disservice to Mitoe's expertise but I can understand if he wants to mix in some lower level games for a lower level audience.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I'm volunteering my game vs. kyenesie which wasn't recorded so you might not want to commentate it, but I know that you had strong opinions on what I did wrong, and elucidating upon them during real-time, actual first-person gameplay could be educational. Any game where mechanics were the losing idea are not as educational as broader, strategic ideas.

And I mean pick. it. apart.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

deleted_user wrote:I really hope though that the commentary is focused on lt col+ players. I don't really want to watch a video where the advice is "make vills," "macro better," and "pay attention to raids." I think it would be a disservice to Mitoe's expertise but I can understand if he wants to mix in some lower level games for a lower level audience.
Ye, I totally agree with this. At lt co level, games are won and lost because of strategy (even when people lose to raids or in a big fight, it's often because they didn't have their units in position, not enough LOS, or no LOS), and high level players can give high level tips which can be used at any level. Pr25 games are just going to be "you picked the wrong BO", "what the fuck are you doing ?".
European Union Scroogie
Lancer
ESO: Scroogie
GameRanger ID: 10056919

Post by Scroogie »

I agree with whats been said, the interesting part about commentary from top players is that they understand the strategic and tactical play that is going on behind the scenes. They can explain army positioning, scouting (or lack thereof), unit composition, bos in a much more thorough way. These factors are only deciding when the game is at a decent level, for people below captain (or major?) games are usually decided by blunders. Kinda like in chess it's not very interesting to see beginners play since it can just fall apart at any moment and no move makes sense.
So high level games provide more insight and entertainment for all levels of players. Seargents can still benefit from high level analysis as long as they also remind themselves why they are seargents: doesnt make vills, idles vills, stacks res, mismacroes, doesnt watch army, does wrong strats, not enough apm.
Me being slightly ahead vs H2O: Image
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Ye, it's the same in chess actually. I'd say that below 1800 classical elos (and I'm not at that level yet), 99% of the games are decided because of a miscalculation, so ye a top player analysis is not very interesting, just check the computer. At 1800+, there are less blunders so games are won and lost because of strategy, and regardless of your level, it's nice to see how you can outplay your opponent with a better position.
United States of America deathnote21
Crossbow
ESO: deathnote21

Post by deathnote21 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:Ye, it's the same in chess actually. I'd say that below 1800 classical elos (and I'm not at that level yet), 99% of the games are decided because of a miscalculation, so ye a top player analysis is not very interesting, just check the computer. At 1800+, there are less blunders so games are won and lost because of strategy, and regardless of your level, it's nice to see how you can outplay your opponent with a better position.
I would say that I slightly disagree with this comment. While I would agree that most chess games under 1800 classical elo involve tactical errors/miscalculations, often those errors arise, in part, due to bad positional play. Most players under 1800 do not have a strong positional understanding of the game and rely on calculating to find their moves, while higher ranked players tend to follow a plan that meshes well with the position and use calculation to follow that plan.

Watching high level commentary on a game played between a 1600 player vs a 1700 player would show how many of the moves made were incongruent with what the position was calling for.

On chess.com there is a good video series with a grandmaster reviewing amateur games (under 2000 I think) where the grandmaster consistently shows how the players are making moves that do not mesh with the given pawn structure or position.

Using a computer review a game is really only helpful after having spent a long time having reviewed the game yourself, preferably with a better player/coach.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Would you do WOL 1v1 videos?
:nwc:
European Union Scroogie
Lancer
ESO: Scroogie
GameRanger ID: 10056919

Post by Scroogie »

I rely to 99% on my positional understanding because i am too lazy to calculate
Me being slightly ahead vs H2O: Image
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

I guess some watched this cause it was a tourney game. Kaiser went for some semi while taking stagecoach. I'm not quite sure if I made a huge mistake (yeah, I know I should've repaired my summer palace but it didn't matter).
Attachments
[EP8-1 SP] Kaiserklein[FR] vs Lukas_L99[CH] - ESOC Manchuria.age3yrec
(998.57 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
ESOC Manchuria
ESOC Manchuria
Rules: Supremacy (1v1)
Version: ESOC Patch 8.1
Length: 19 minutes
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Lukas_L99 wrote:I guess some watched this cause it was a tourney game. Kaiser went for some semi while taking stagecoach. I'm not quite sure if I made a huge mistake (yeah, I know I should've repaired my summer palace but it didn't matter).
mistake was china my friend.
mad cuz bad
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

China on manchuria bad confirmed
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Seriously though, I don't think you made any "huge" mistake. The game was rather close after all.
I'd say the main issue was you didn't ship manchus, which is just game losing if we aren't fighting and I'm able to mass a lot of cuirs. Also losing the summer palace does matter, it grants me a lot of xp, and probably meant you would have had 6 - 12 more infantry units in the main fight. Now add the couple cav raids which I think weren't worth it (traded like 2 cav for a cdb each time?). I think all this put together, and you might have just won the main fight, or at least it would have been quite a bit closer.

Ah and you lost 2v in colo? Which is a lot of lost resources until the fight 10 mins later. Roughly 1.5 batch of cav
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..