Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT

16 Sep 2020, 01:40

fightinfrenchman wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:
iCourt wrote:Honestly, I would not be surprised if in the future the game rolls out DLC civs similar to how AOE:O handled it.

That's never gonna happen. MS did a whole presentation on how that was the worst business decision they've ever made for AoE and how it killed the game from a business standpoint, leading to the ultimate shutdown of official AoEO servers.

You need to disclose whatever secret information you have about topics like this

The presentation is publicly available: https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1019303/F2P-the-Wrong-Way-Age
momuuu wrote:theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

16 Sep 2020, 01:41

EAGLEMUT wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

You need to disclose whatever secret information you have about topics like this

The presentation is publicly available: https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1019303/F2P-the-Wrong-Way-Age

Does Alt+D still work or what?
European Union aaryngend
Lancer

16 Sep 2020, 01:42

Ye I remember the business model failure that was aoe:o.
In the end, the game became decent and you could go by without spending a single penny, but it was too costly to provide new content so it wasn't worth it at all. Gas Powered Games got screwed over bigtime.
Astaroth wrote:I've never flamed you or anyone else on this forum out of nowhere, but because you insist on acting like that, I've showed you what an original flame is.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

16 Sep 2020, 02:03

Squamiger wrote:
howlingwolfpaw wrote:
Show hidden quotes

the Game can expand like it has. from Euro To the Americas to Asia, its a tragedy to miss out on one of the largest land masses of the Earth that too had much expansion. And whos slavery built up the new world.

Africa is much more relevant to the Americas than India or Japan or even China.

yea that's true but there's no way the devs are going to want to deal with making African chattel slavery an ingame feature that is both historically accurate and also not insensitive. In fact I don't think there's actually a way to do it satisfactorily. WoL has the USA civ with slaves and it's just super cringey and weird tbh.

I do not want slaves in the game, but I do not see how like the zulu empire could not be included.
United States of America Squamiger
Lancer
ESO: Squamiger

16 Sep 2020, 02:45

this is my final thought on the question of whether the changes to Iroquois and Sioux are "politically motivated", or done for "pc reasons", vs. the idea that they were just done for historical accuracy:

These two things are not a dichotomy. The decision is both political and also done for historical accuracy at the same time. Historical accuracy is inherently political. It is impossible for the intepretation and representation of past societies in art to NOT be political. There was a political context to the original representations of the Sioux and Iroquois, which is different from the political context of the current changes. There's no such thing as neutral, or apolitical history.

The way I see it, all the civs are historically innaccurate in a certain way-- cannons pushed by 1 guy, guys with little bucklers and swords countering heavy cavalry, etc. But the Sioux and Iro civs were particularly bad, in that they incorporated a variety of "magical" elements into what is supposed to be a game based on real time periods. So fixing the fire pit and animal conversion just brings the Sioux and Iro up to par, making them as historically innaccurate as the rest of the civs. As for gold mining... I don't know if the person who decided that is the be-all end-all expert on Native Americans, and I actually think that mining might have existed in north America more than people assume. But I'm fine with the change if it can be made balanced.

i think in terms of whether these changes affect balance, we just have to wait and see
the sax rider rides again
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

16 Sep 2020, 02:56

But in dances with wolves the lakotas just dance around a firepit :dry:
India TNT333
Dragoon
ESO: TNT333

16 Sep 2020, 03:24

Casters better prepare for another tongue twister
"We are kings or pawns" Napoleon Bonaparte
Canada dansil92
ESOC Maps Team
ESO: dansil92

16 Sep 2020, 03:29

TNT333 wrote:Casters better prepare for another tongue twister

Because Macehualtin and landskneckt are ez to say
https://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=441858#p441857
My official maps thread

There is a master sergeant level solution for every PR 40 problem.
-Le Hussard sur le toit
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

16 Sep 2020, 03:31

dansil92 wrote:

This reminds me, we're due for a new thread on Basement specific pronunciations of AoE 3 words
United States of America jap_jon
Musketeer

16 Sep 2020, 03:38

fightinfrenchman wrote:This reminds me, we're due for a new thread on Basement specific pronunciations of AoE 3 words

Will it involve audio?
European Union aaryngend
Lancer

16 Sep 2020, 03:59

dansil92 wrote:

Landsknecht is actually easy to say. The problem is that people who are not native speakers just forget how to pronounce it.

Phonetic symbols: [ˈlantsknɛçt]
Astaroth wrote:I've never flamed you or anyone else on this forum out of nowhere, but because you insist on acting like that, I've showed you what an original flame is.
United States of America Squamiger
Lancer
ESO: Squamiger

16 Sep 2020, 04:14

aaryngend wrote:
dansil92 wrote:

Landsknecht is actually easy to say. The problem is that people who are not native speakers just forget how to pronounce it.

Phonetic symbols: [ˈlantsknɛçt]

so are loads of words in spanish and native languages that people butcher lol. easy to say but mispronounced because people aren't familiar with it. Mendocino is men-do-SEE-no, and i dont think i've heard a caster get that one right
the sax rider rides again
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

16 Sep 2020, 04:47

seems like the only proposal to rename shit not to be considered was mine. still gonna be hazztecs as far as im concerned :cry:
Greece BrookG
ESOC Media Team
ESO: BrookG

16 Sep 2020, 09:55

I wanna drop this here

Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Great Britain _NT_sven
Dragoon
Donator 06
ESO: _NT_sven

16 Sep 2020, 14:19

They should also prolong Yumiarcher’s attack anime, to make it more historical.
United States of America kevthegooner
Crossbow
ESO: kevthegooner

16 Sep 2020, 14:23

Well said this.

And I would only pile on and ask why "Aztec" wasn't also renamed to "Mexica"

Nahuatl: Mēxihcah, Nahuatl pronunciation: [meːˈʃiʔkaʔ] ( listen); singular Mēxihcatl [meːˈʃiʔkat͡ɬ]

Squamiger wrote:this is my final thought on the question of whether the changes to Iroquois and Sioux are "politically motivated", or done for "pc reasons", vs. the idea that they were just done for historical accuracy:

These two things are not a dichotomy. The decision is both political and also done for historical accuracy at the same time. Historical accuracy is inherently political. It is impossible for the intepretation and representation of past societies in art to NOT be political. There was a political context to the original representations of the Sioux and Iroquois, which is different from the political context of the current changes. There's no such thing as neutral, or apolitical history.

The way I see it, all the civs are historically innaccurate in a certain way-- cannons pushed by 1 guy, guys with little bucklers and swords countering heavy cavalry, etc. But the Sioux and Iro civs were particularly bad, in that they incorporated a variety of "magical" elements into what is supposed to be a game based on real time periods. So fixing the fire pit and animal conversion just brings the Sioux and Iro up to par, making them as historically innaccurate as the rest of the civs. As for gold mining... I don't know if the person who decided that is the be-all end-all expert on Native Americans, and I actually think that mining might have existed in north America more than people assume. But I'm fine with the change if it can be made balanced.

i think in terms of whether these changes affect balance, we just have to wait and see
Germany Rohbrot
Lancer
ESO: Rohbrot

16 Sep 2020, 15:06

Tbh, we shouldnt discuss that much cuz the names of 2 native civs changed and should hope that DE will bring new meta, players, tourneys and updates.
You know its coming but you wont hold it even when you petard my tc, the rohvolt is real.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Lancer

16 Sep 2020, 16:46

I wonder if we will finally get some female cdb's, ..... i'm asking on behalf of a mate of mine
Canada dansil92
ESOC Maps Team
ESO: dansil92

16 Sep 2020, 16:59

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:I wonder if we will finally get some female cdb's, ..... i'm asking on behalf of a mate of mine

Cdb always seemed to me like france was supposed to be like really metis focused, then they just like, didn't do that
https://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=441858#p441857
My official maps thread

There is a master sergeant level solution for every PR 40 problem.
-Le Hussard sur le toit
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon

16 Sep 2020, 17:19

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:I wonder if we will finally get some female cdb's, ..... i'm asking on behalf of a mate of mine

Haha imagine how much of a P.C. change this would have appeared
We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth
Great Britain Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: thebritish

16 Sep 2020, 17:30

They should've gotten gibthedurrty to do this he is actually native.
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
European Union aaryngend
Lancer

16 Sep 2020, 18:15

Sargsyan wrote:They should've gotten gibthedurrty to do this he is actually native.
Is he?
Great Britain Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: thebritish

16 Sep 2020, 18:21

yes
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja

16 Sep 2020, 18:37

Theres only one huge problem I see with the beta and it will probably be fixed before release.
United States of America kevthegooner
Crossbow
ESO: kevthegooner

16 Sep 2020, 19:45

This change alone would make AOE3-users eclipse AOE2

Forum Info