Lakota (Sioux) and Haudenosaunee (Iroquois).

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Re: Lakota (Sioux) and Haudenosaunee (Iroquois).

Post by EAGLEMUT »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:
iCourt wrote:Honestly, I would not be surprised if in the future the game rolls out DLC civs similar to how AOE:O handled it.
That's never gonna happen. MS did a whole presentation on how that was the worst business decision they've ever made for AoE and how it killed the game from a business standpoint, leading to the ultimate shutdown of official AoEO servers.
You need to disclose whatever secret information you have about topics like this
The presentation is publicly available: https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1019303/F ... ng-Way-Age
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
You need to disclose whatever secret information you have about topics like this
The presentation is publicly available: https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1019303/F ... ng-Way-Age
Does Alt+D still work or what?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Ye I remember the business model failure that was aoe:o.
In the end, the game became decent and you could go by without spending a single penny, but it was too costly to provide new content so it wasn't worth it at all. Gas Powered Games got screwed over bigtime.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Squamiger wrote:
howlingwolfpaw wrote:
Show hidden quotes
the Game can expand like it has. from Euro To the Americas to Asia, its a tragedy to miss out on one of the largest land masses of the Earth that too had much expansion. And whos slavery built up the new world.

Africa is much more relevant to the Americas than India or Japan or even China.
yea that's true but there's no way the devs are going to want to deal with making African chattel slavery an ingame feature that is both historically accurate and also not insensitive. In fact I don't think there's actually a way to do it satisfactorily. WoL has the USA civ with slaves and it's just super cringey and weird tbh.
I do not want slaves in the game, but I do not see how like the zulu empire could not be included.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

this is my final thought on the question of whether the changes to Iroquois and Sioux are "politically motivated", or done for "pc reasons", vs. the idea that they were just done for historical accuracy:

These two things are not a dichotomy. The decision is both political and also done for historical accuracy at the same time. Historical accuracy is inherently political. It is impossible for the intepretation and representation of past societies in art to NOT be political. There was a political context to the original representations of the Sioux and Iroquois, which is different from the political context of the current changes. There's no such thing as neutral, or apolitical history.

The way I see it, all the civs are historically innaccurate in a certain way-- cannons pushed by 1 guy, guys with little bucklers and swords countering heavy cavalry, etc. But the Sioux and Iro civs were particularly bad, in that they incorporated a variety of "magical" elements into what is supposed to be a game based on real time periods. So fixing the fire pit and animal conversion just brings the Sioux and Iro up to par, making them as historically innaccurate as the rest of the civs. As for gold mining... I don't know if the person who decided that is the be-all end-all expert on Native Americans, and I actually think that mining might have existed in north America more than people assume. But I'm fine with the change if it can be made balanced.

i think in terms of whether these changes affect balance, we just have to wait and see
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

But in dances with wolves the lakotas just dance around a firepit :dry:
India TNT333
Lancer
ESO: TNT333

Post by TNT333 »

Casters better prepare for another tongue twister
"We are kings or pawns" Napoleon Bonaparte
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

TNT333 wrote:Casters better prepare for another tongue twister
Because Macehualtin and landskneckt are ez to say
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

dansil92 wrote:
This reminds me, we're due for a new thread on Basement specific pronunciations of AoE 3 words
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America jap_jon
Musketeer

Post by jap_jon »

fightinfrenchman wrote: This reminds me, we're due for a new thread on Basement specific pronunciations of AoE 3 words
Will it involve audio?
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

dansil92 wrote:
Landsknecht is actually easy to say. The problem is that people who are not native speakers just forget how to pronounce it.

Phonetic symbols: [ˈlantsknɛçt]
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

aaryngend wrote:
dansil92 wrote:
Landsknecht is actually easy to say. The problem is that people who are not native speakers just forget how to pronounce it.

Phonetic symbols: [ˈlantsknɛçt]
so are loads of words in spanish and native languages that people butcher lol. easy to say but mispronounced because people aren't familiar with it. Mendocino is men-do-SEE-no, and i dont think i've heard a caster get that one right
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

seems like the only proposal to rename shit not to be considered was mine. still gonna be hazztecs as far as im concerned :cry:
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

I wanna drop this here

Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Great Britain _NT_sven
Dragoon
Donator 06
Clan: NTDE

Post by _NT_sven »

They should also prolong Yumiarcher’s attack anime, to make it more historical.
Plum blossoms fall below the steps like whirling snow;
They cover me still though brushed off a while ago.

-Tune: "Pure Serene Music", Li Yu (937-978 AD), the Last Lord of Southern Tang Dynasty
United States of America kevthegooner
Crossbow
ESO: Henry_Knox

Post by kevthegooner »

Well said this.

And I would only pile on and ask why "Aztec" wasn't also renamed to "Mexica"

Nahuatl: Mēxihcah, Nahuatl pronunciation: [meːˈʃiʔkaʔ] ( listen); singular Mēxihcatl [meːˈʃiʔkat͡ɬ]
Squamiger wrote:this is my final thought on the question of whether the changes to Iroquois and Sioux are "politically motivated", or done for "pc reasons", vs. the idea that they were just done for historical accuracy:

These two things are not a dichotomy. The decision is both political and also done for historical accuracy at the same time. Historical accuracy is inherently political. It is impossible for the intepretation and representation of past societies in art to NOT be political. There was a political context to the original representations of the Sioux and Iroquois, which is different from the political context of the current changes. There's no such thing as neutral, or apolitical history.

The way I see it, all the civs are historically innaccurate in a certain way-- cannons pushed by 1 guy, guys with little bucklers and swords countering heavy cavalry, etc. But the Sioux and Iro civs were particularly bad, in that they incorporated a variety of "magical" elements into what is supposed to be a game based on real time periods. So fixing the fire pit and animal conversion just brings the Sioux and Iro up to par, making them as historically innaccurate as the rest of the civs. As for gold mining... I don't know if the person who decided that is the be-all end-all expert on Native Americans, and I actually think that mining might have existed in north America more than people assume. But I'm fine with the change if it can be made balanced.

i think in terms of whether these changes affect balance, we just have to wait and see
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

Tbh, we shouldnt discuss that much cuz the names of 2 native civs changed and should hope that DE will bring new meta, players, tourneys and updates.
Spain pain train is real
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

I wonder if we will finally get some female cdb's, ..... i'm asking on behalf of a mate of mine
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:I wonder if we will finally get some female cdb's, ..... i'm asking on behalf of a mate of mine
Cdb always seemed to me like france was supposed to be like really metis focused, then they just like, didn't do that
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon

Post by oxaloacetate »

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:I wonder if we will finally get some female cdb's, ..... i'm asking on behalf of a mate of mine
Haha imagine how much of a P.C. change this would have appeared
We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

They should've gotten gibthedurrty to do this he is actually native.
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Sargsyan wrote:They should've gotten gibthedurrty to do this he is actually native.
Is he?
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

yes
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Theres only one huge problem I see with the beta and it will probably be fixed before release.
United States of America kevthegooner
Crossbow
ESO: Henry_Knox

Post by kevthegooner »

This change alone would make AOE3-users eclipse AOE2