The DE elo is fucked up

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

The DE elo is fucked up

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

So I played 1 team game with random guys in the team game QS, and then I played 10 games teamed with [PLOP]Umeu and I got 1646 elos.
[PLOP]Umeu on the other hand played and won 10 2v2 with me and reached 1679 :cry:

This literally doesn't make sense, it either means that the game gave him more elo for the wins or that winning one extra game makes you lose elo.
DE elo.png
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Re: The DE elo is fucked up

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Makes sense. You were a higher rank during your 2/11th game than "Umeu" so you received less marginal elo. Repeat for the next wins. Since you and "Umeu" were playing the exact same matchups this checks out.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Makes sense. You were a higher rank during your 2/11th game than "Umeu" so you received less marginal elo. Repeat for the next wins. Since you and "Umeu" were playing the exact same matchups this checks out.
That's dumb. I should receive the same amount of elo.
France ǝɯɐuɹǝsn
Dragoon

Post by ǝɯɐuɹǝsn »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Makes sense. You were a higher rank during your 2/11th game than "Umeu" so you received less marginal elo. Repeat for the next wins. Since you and "Umeu" were playing the exact same matchups this checks out.
but logically (like for legacy aoe3) both player of the team receive the same amount of elo, it doesn't depend of the rank (because the rank you earn in a game depend of the elo, not the opposite)
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

I heard that in aoe2 de the elo you get doesn't depend on your team mate.
Like if you're a 2000 elo with a 1000 elo player and beat 2 1500 elo players, it's like you beat a 1500 elo players in 1v1 and you get 1 elo. So basically, it means that high level players should never QS alone, and always team up.
Australia robo
ESOC Media Team
ESO: robo_boro
Clan: sQad

Post by robo »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:I heard that in aoe2 de the elo you get doesn't depend on your team mate.
Like if you're a 2000 elo with a 1000 elo player and beat 2 1500 elo players, it's like you beat a 1500 elo players in 1v1 and you get 1 elo.
That is exactly how elo works.

If they are a higher rating they will get less points than their lower rated teammates. Otherwise there could be a 1800 teamed with a 1100 so that the 1800 earns far more points than they are supposed to as they "should receive the same amount of elo". Or it could work the other way and the 1800 earns normal points and the 1100 earns next to nothing and is not rewarded for beating players far higher rated.
Australia robo
ESOC Media Team
ESO: robo_boro
Clan: sQad

Post by robo »

What is probably happening here is that just like in AoE2DE, rating on different ladders are linked to help players reach their correct rating faster.

So if you are already 'high' rating on one ladder then start playing on a different ladder for the first time it will boost your rating to help you get to your 'level' faster and prevent accidental noob bashing.

Therefore if the only thing you care about is having a really big number next to your name you should grind a single game style only for a few months until elo starts to settle down, then play on other ladders so you can be boosted up.
France ǝɯɐuɹǝsn
Dragoon

Post by ǝɯɐuɹǝsn »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:I heard that in aoe2 de the elo you get doesn't depend on your team mate.
Like if you're a 2000 elo with a 1000 elo player and beat 2 1500 elo players, it's like you beat a 1500 elo players in 1v1 and you get 1 elo. So basically, it means that high level players should never QS alone, and always team up.
so if it work like that it's completly retard, they forgot it's aoe 3 DE and not "we mix all bad idea we found together to finish it faster Definitive Edition"
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

robo wrote:
Like if you're a 2000 elo with a 1000 elo player and beat 2 1500 elo players, it's like you beat a 1500 elo players in 1v1 and you get 1 elo.
That is exactly how elo works.

If they are a higher rating they will get less points than their lower rated teammates. Otherwise there could be a 1800 teamed with a 1100 so that the 1800 earns far more points than they are supposed to as they "should receive the same amount of elo". Or it could work the other way and the 1800 earns normal points and the 1100 earns next to nothing and is not rewarded for beating players far higher rated.
Just take the mean of both team's elo and give both players the same amount of elo.

If you're a 1800 elo player and you beat two good players with a 1100 elo player, it means that you carried your team so you should be rewarded.

How could they be stupid enough to not implement that?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

robo wrote:What is probably happening here is that just like in AoE2DE, rating on different ladders are linked to help players reach their correct rating faster.

So if you are already 'high' rating on one ladder then start playing on a different ladder for the first time it will boost your rating to help you get to your 'level' faster and prevent accidental noob bashing.

Therefore if the only thing you care about is having a really big number next to your name you should grind a single game style only for a few months until elo starts to settle down, then play on other ladders so you can be boosted up.
It's not that because I am higher rated in 1v1 too, so I would have a higher elo.

Why can't they just take the normal elo formula used in chess?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Chess isn't a team game........
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

gibson wrote:Chess isn't a team game........
Ye but without adding bs things like one ranking affecting the other or rdm formula for team.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Elo as a whole is messed up atm who cares it'll take a couple weeks or months to settle down.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Ye but without adding bs things like one ranking affecting the other or rdm formula for team.
Not a big deal, it only effects at the start.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

gibson wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Not a big deal, it only effects at the start.
If it only affects the start its no big deal you're right.
However, apparently the elo you get from winning doesn't depend on the elo of your team mate which is just stupid.
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

On Voobly AoE 3 you receive/lose same points irrespective of your teammate Elo.

I really want to see Voobly and Gameranger supporting AoE3 DE.
Voobly's lobby system is very good if players have good internet connection.

Do we have any idea when will we able to play AoE3 through GR and Voobly?
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

As GR and Voobly relies on the LAN system, does it even work for DE? I havent seen any settings for local multiplayer.

It does seem like the elo system is just that system and since just about every game uses it they will just port it over.
Germany psychonautics
Crossbow
ESO: slechtehond

Post by psychonautics »

company of heroes had a system where you could queue in random 2vs2s and 2vs2 arranged teams. In arranged teams your elo was only shown as a team and didnt transfer to teaming with another guy. However it would make queue times even no longer and i dont know how popular it would be but for me i mostly played arranged teams because at some point you could expect very high level games.

Edit: elo wasnt used there maybe in the background, with elo i mean your rank