Quick tips for China

Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Quick tips for China

Post by Thrar »

I'd like to summarize a few things I've learned over 300 or so games with China. I'm rated in the 1300s so I won't talk a lot about optimal strategies but rather list a few small things that might help people who want to start out with China.

The Opening

This is the baseline start that will get you an idle-less 16 villager age up with a TP and no treasures taken.
  1. Drag-box 3 villagers to a :food: crate. On most spawns, the bottom 3 villagers are closest.
  2. Drag-box the other 3 villagers and have them start hunting. Pop them through the TC if the starting hunt is on the other side.
  3. Send the monk towards the TP you want to build and the disciple scouting in a similar direction.
  4. 5 seconds after the villagers start working, the first :food: crate is gathered, so queue a villager.
  5. When the second :food: crate is gathered the villagers will automatically split up and go to 1 :wood: crate each. Shift-click each of them to their crate and then a nearby tree so they won't go idle when their crate runs out. If the trees are on the other side of the TC, shift-click into the TC instead and make sure you waypoint the tree and release them right away.
  6. Villager #7 goes to wood, after that all further villagers go to food. You can afford to use a few villager seconds for herding with :food: villagers and still don't get idle TC, but you shouldn't walk too far before you have 5 on :food:.
  7. Place a TP as soon as you get 200 :wood: (for most builds).
  8. Place a village behind your TC with a single villager at 190 :wood:, then put everyone on :food:. If your village is late (10th villager already started), build it with 2 villagers. If it's really late (10th villager more than 1/4 done), build with 3. Each of these additional villagers costs you ~10 :food: in lost gather time so only do this when necessary.
  9. Eat your goat if you have less than 550 :food: when your 15th villager comes out.
  10. Start your age 2 wonder with 1 villager to prevent bumping, then add 3 more villagers to it.
Opening Variations
  • If there's a <= 50 :wood: treasure in base or near your TP, put villager #7 straight to food since you'll need less wood.
  • If there's a >= 80 :wood: treasure that you're confident won't be contested by the enemy, take it after the TP and only chop the difference with 1 villager. You'll age up at 15 villagers, but if this treasure gets stolen you're screwed so only do this when you're sure it's safe.
  • Good livestock or food treasures can also allow you to age up at 15 villagers.
Treasures
  • Keep your monk and disciple close so they can take treasures together. Their LOS should not overlap so you can maximize scouting, but they should be able to join up quickly.
  • While building a TP, use the disciple to scout around it for useful treasures nearby, especially :wood: and :food:.
  • The disciple can solo small guardians like wolves or coyotes when they're stunned. If you see a small treasure like that in base or on your way to the TP, consider throwing a quick stun, let the disciple finish the guardian, then pick it up with a villager or the monk after building the TP.
  • Make disciples if you see tough but strong :food: treasures. There is a 225 :food: for 3 outlaw riflemen that you can take with reasonable HP loss by making 2 extra disciples for a cool 65 :food: profit and the 2 disciples paid for. Making one disciple can also be good if there are multiple 3 wolf food treasures. Usually you'll start building up a food surplus around 10 villagers to afford this.
  • You can use the stun trigger to kite guardians. Click a guardian with the stun ability, watch the animation start (the monk raises his hand), then click away from the treasure. The stun won't fire but the guardians will chase you. Take them to the edge of their radius, then stun one right there. Wait for the others to start their run back, then take out the stunned guardian. This is great for treasures with 3 tough melee guardians, like 3 tigers 150 :coin: or 3 orang-utan 145 :wood:. It can also be good if you want to save HP against 2 guardians, but it takes longer and the risk of a steal is greater.
  • The stun ability does 30 damage at a range comparable to a musketeer. You can use this to steal treasures by positioning yourself next to the treasure but away from the guardian when the enemy explorer is fighting it. Wait until the guardian's HP are low, then kill it at range with the stun and pick up the treasure.
Common Builds

All FF builds should gather 380 :coin: in age 2 to afford one set of minutemen in case of pressure. The FF builds start gathering :coin: once the age 2 wonder is placed, the colonial build starts gathering :wood: instead. Use 4 villagers on the wonder going to age 2, and 8 going to age 3.
  • Economic FF: Ship 700 :coin: 700 :wood: in age 2, age up to fortress with the Porcelain Tower.
  • Defensive FF: Ship 700 :coin: 700 :wood: in age 2, age up to fortress with the Confucian Academy.
  • Aggressive FF: Ship 700 :coin: 700 :wood: in age 2, age up to fortress with the Confucian Academy. Send 2 villagers forward to build a village and war academy in transition. Push when the first war academy batch and the first age 3 shipment come in.
  • Colonial: Usually villagers on :wood: during transition and opening with a unit shipment, which one depends on what you're facing. Can be defensive or aggressive with a forward village.
  • FI: Same as the economic FF, then follow up with 1000 :coin: in fortress and age up with Confucian Academy to industrial. Alternatively, go with Porcelain Tower to age 1 and then Summer Palace to age 2 for a slightly slower age 3 but faster age 4.
Villager Allocations

With no market upgrades, each of the commonly used banner armies requires this many villagers to continuously produce. Additionally, you'll need 5 villagers on hunts for villager production, and 5 or 6 on wood if you don't have the Porcelain Tower or stagecoach.
  • Old Han (bow/pike): 12 :food:, 15 :wood:.
  • Standard (bow/cav): 12 :food:, 12 :coin:.
  • Territorial (arquebus/sword): 10 :food:, 13 :coin:.
  • Imperial (arquebus/cav): 20 :food:, 15 :coin:.
  • Forbidden (full cav): 20 :food:, 20 :coin:.
Miscellaneous
  • Shift-click your wonder villagers so they won't go idle. On the Summer Palace I usually leave the one nearest to the TC alone so he'll gather the crates and shift-click the other 3 to :coin:. On the Porcelain Tower, everyone to :coin: is often fine, and on the Confucian Academy about half on :wood: and half on :coin:.
  • Don't forget to toggle the Summer Palace and Porcelain Tower once they're built (usually Old Han and :wood:, respectively). Toggle the Summer Palace again (usually Territorial) once you hit fortress shortly after the previous army came out.
  • When doing an FF with the Confucian Academy, gather 80 :wood: in transition so you can get 2 villages, war academy, and consulate from the 700 :wood: shipment.
  • The first village always goes behind the TC, unless you're better than me and know what you're doing. Even against civs you don't expect to be aggressive. Losing that village to an unexpected rush gets you into major housing trouble. Build your second village in front during age 2 if there's a mine or hunt you want to cover.
  • Disciples aren't great units, but they're still worth the cost against archer or skirmisher units or to body block cavalry. The monk in cover mode is an excellent tank at range.
  • When going aggressive, make sure you waypoint your Summer Palace, Confucian Academy, and consulate forward in addition to your production buildings.
  • Repelling Volley is a great shipment if you're facing heavy infantry or ranged cavalry once you have > 20 Arquebus. Can be as early as the 3rd fortress shipment e.g. against Carolean spam.

For other China players, do you think there's anything else to add to this as general advice? Do you disagree with any of the points I've raised?
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Re: Quick tips for China

Post by helln00 »

isn't the standard FI build to go porcelain tower age 2 then summer palace for age 3 to get 1k food?
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

helln00 wrote:isn't the standard FI build to go porcelain tower age 2 then summer palace for age 3 to get 1k food?
This does sound more optimal. Perhaps you go porcelain tower if you want to have more adaptability?
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Good write up :flowers:
:nwc:
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

This is amazing, one of the best guide I've seen.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Howdah

Thrar wrote:
Drag-box 3 villagers to a :food: crate. On most spawns, the bottom 3 villagers are closest.
diarouga does not like this.
Place a village behind your TC with a single villager at 190 :wood:, then put everyone on :food:. If your village is late (10th villager already started), build it with 2 villagers. If it's really late (10th villager more than 1/4 done), build with 3. Each of these additional villagers costs you ~10 :food: in lost gather time so only do this when necessary.
diarouga likes this.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Haha, so true.
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Queuing first villager in 5 sec is impossible imo :P , i think with haud i have never be under 6 sec and 7 with spain (for some reason spain crate are more annoying to macro).

I need to translate that guide for a friend who harassing me about how play china, do i care about china??
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

chronique wrote:Queuing first villager in 5 sec is impossible imo :P , i think with haud i have never be under 6 sec and 7 with spain (for some reason spain crate are more annoying to macro).

I need to translate that guide for a friend who harassing me about how play china, do i care about china??
If its a friend who is worth to translate this whole guide, do it
Spain pain train is real
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

chronique wrote:Queuing first villager in 5 sec is impossible imo :P , i think with haud i have never be under 6 sec and 7 with spain (for some reason spain crate are more annoying to macro).

when is the spanish guide coming ?
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

flontier wrote:

@chronique has to win one spain mirror in DE against me, to publish it.
Spain pain train is real
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

helln00 wrote:isn't the standard FI build to go porcelain tower age 2 then summer palace for age 3 to get 1k food?
Good point, I didn't realize that. I suppose it'll be a bit slower to age 3 but then overall faster to age 4? Could any top China player comment on what the preferred FI build is for you?
Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:
Thrar wrote: Drag-box 3 villagers to a :food: crate. On most spawns, the bottom 3 villagers are closest.
diarouga does not like this.
What should the starting distribution be?
You'll need 5 "ticks" of 2.5 seconds to gather the 100f from crates, so either 5 villagers gathering for 1 tick or 3 villagers for 2. Do you start with 5 on crates? How do you get them to actually all gather on the first tick instead of some of them bumping into each other?
With 3 villagers, splitting 1-2 on different food crates would be slightly better because it saves 2.5 villager seconds (no overgathering on the second crate), but between crate vils, hunt vils, monk, and disciple, there is so much to do in the first 2 seconds that I don't think it's worth delaying anything else for 2 extra food.
Right, more accurately it's 5 seconds after the vils start gathering the crates, which is 6 or 7 seconds game time.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Tower to 3 is better for FI in my opinion.
mad cuz bad
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

Don't know what sort of time palace to 3 gets but you can get like a 9:50 industrial with good tres and no idling with tower to 3 plus it's more adaptable and more eco. Maybe you'd go palace to 3 with low hunt in base but then you shouldn't FI anyway.
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

flontier wrote:

Who want a spansih guide?
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Good point. @Rohbrot youre needed
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

chronique wrote:
flontier wrote:

i need one.
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

Ok i need to win against someone with the rohbrot name !
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

flontier wrote:
chronique wrote:
Show hidden quotes
i need one.
Si tu quieres, yo te puedo ayudar ;)
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

Jotunir wrote: Si tu quieres, yo te puedo ayudar ;)
I realy want a game where Jotunir coach Flontier, we all know flontier have potentiel but he is aoe2 player so :/
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

chronique wrote:
I realy want a game where Jotunir coach Flontier, we all know flontier have potentiel but he is aoe2 player so :/
giveuanxiety wrote:Flontier is a talented player but he is also the most overatted player in all of ESOC

Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

chronique wrote:
:lol:
Howdah

@Thrar : it was just a joke. I think diarouga split one vill on each crate but I doubt anyone in need of a China guide has the skill to do that !
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

n0el wrote:Tower to 3 is better for FI in my opinion.
What's the tradeoff for going with it to age2?
I'm counting -4vills and -1,5 ckn+pike batch, but you get 600f extra from summer palace and 4vill gather time from porcelain tower from age2 to age3. Is that correct?

Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

macacoalbino wrote:
n0el wrote:Tower to 3 is better for FI in my opinion.
What's the tradeoff for going with it to age2?
I'm counting -4vills and -1,5 ckn+pike batch, but you get 600f extra from summer palace and 4vill gather time from porcelain tower from age2 to age3. Is that correct?
the food from palace helps you get to III much faster, that is why the palace into tower/academy works better
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.