Is there a mod to change UI to display XP Total for each players ?

France Leaf
Crossbow

Is there a mod to change UI to display XP Total for each players ?

Post by Leaf »

Hello !
Little context to my question, you can skip it :

AoE III was picked in a french multigaming competition called the "Game Pass Challenge" (sponsored by Xbox game pass).
In this competition, there is 3 differents formats for the 3 differents phases of the tournament.
The first is a ffa with 6 players, the second is a 2vs2vs2vs2 and the last is the classic 2vs2.
In the first two format, the game is stopped after 1 hour and the ranking is based on current score.
With a bit of testing, players realised that it pushed people to actually turtle for one entire hour in their base and just farm ressources to increase their score without risking losing their military and thus losing score.
So we thought that maybe the total XP is a better indicator of who is actually winning and at the same time it will push players to play more aggressively and give a better viewing experience.
The current problem is that there is no way to compare your total XP with others players in the game.

So here is my question, is it possible with a mod to either replace the score on the scoreboard by the total XP of each player, or display it somewhere else on the screen for the casters and the players ?
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Re: Is there a mod to change UI to display XP Total for each players ?

Post by harcha »

POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

@Leaf to my knowledge the only way to see xp is at the end of the game in post game stats
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

Theoretically this would be possible with triggers in a custom map but so many are buggy you’d probably need to make your own custom triggers.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

You could do a "units/buildings lost" count and use that as your proxy (weighting for unit/building cost). Number of units lost (by type) was available in the old observer UI so it's probably possible to access it in DE too.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Post by TheNameDaniel »

I would suggest using the combat xp which can be seen in the post game analysis of the game. Having score as a way of determining a winner is bad since there are upgrades and cards that can boost your score by 3-4k such as heavy fortifications.
Howdah

Using xp or combat xp has the big disadvantage that civs like Aztecs, India or Japan will be at a huge advantage as they have ways to gain much more xp than other civs.
France Leaf
Crossbow

Post by Leaf »

Thanks for all the answers !

So it's probably not possible without making a custom map ?

We know that ranking players with XP has some flaws, but is there any other way ? Score push players to turtle a lot.
The competition is still a multigaming one, it brings a lot of viewers and famous french streamers to play in it. Most of them don't know anything about the game, that's why I'm looking for a way to make the xp for each player visible on the UI while the game is live.

I will try to contact the person who made the spectator mod to see if he can help me
Howdah

@Leaf : I would go for "total cost of units killed/building destroyed" rather than xp, as you will really run into the problem of Aztec xp dancing+turtling being unbeatable over wise.
No Flag JaiLeD
Crossbow
ESO: JaiLeD

Post by JaiLeD »

@Leaf I was tagged by @harcha because I'm one of the biggest advocates of combat xp being more valuable than kills/deaths on the postgame. Before I go further, I do always make it clear that both are useful, and both have flaws. I suggest using both, but imo of the 2 combat xp is more valuable.

Firstly note that I am a team player, and often in team players play to their civs strengths. If you play a civ that is good at infantry you often go infantry (1 pop unit generally), and if you play a civ that is good at stable units then you usually use them (2 pop unit generally). Also combat xp takes kills of buildings into account, which imo is very important to note in games. combat xp from units is directly relevant to how much units cost and is generally much more accurate. There are a few very notable exceptions though, namely Aztec (kills near warchief give double xp) and Japan if they go Torri Gates (not super common, but does exist). @Le Hussard sur le toit it is worth noting that India cows isn't effected by combat xp, however you're right that with what the OP was wanting it would matter.

Also, something not mentioned but could be quite important is by showing xp instead of score for players, players with trade posts on xp would have quite an inflated score.