Housing Crisis

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
France iNcog
Ninja

Re: Housing Crisis

Post by iNcog »

Goodspeed wrote:
Horsemen wrote:Don't buy housing, it's risky and tax inefficient. Invest in stonks instead.
The money you save from avoiding high rent costs easily makes up for that, at least here (and mortgage interest here seems similar to the UK). For us it's about a 10k a year difference, and we needed to "invest" about 5k to be able to buy. If I buy 5k worth of stonks, I wouldn't get 200% yearly ROI unless I went for meme stonks and got lucky. Seems more risky than buying a house ngl
damn your downpayment was 5k?

edit: nevermind read the rest of the thread. carry on

@thread and yeah if you have enough money to buy a place, immediately go for it. stop renting as early as possible, save for a down payment as fast as possible. rent is burning money. with a mortgage you're only paying interest, which can be pricey but still money in your pocket.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Dolan wrote:Yeah I hate that people do this, they are part of the problem. They're solving a problem for themselves by creating a bigger one for a lot more people.
They are real estate hoarders who want to profit from making housing scarce for others.
agreed but also at the same time, given the opportunity to do this, I'm going to do that. before they go after my broke ass, they can have bezos pay taxes and stop with the corporate bail outs. the middle class is not the enemy. corporations / 1% are.

there's a bunch of social policies that would really stimulate the economy. it starts with single payer health care and stuff like universal basic income. the USA is in the fucking stone age lol
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

I did read something about a negative interest rate a few years ago as incentive for people to move to a city. I've seen things like that in kinda remote places for opening a business too.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

iNcog wrote:
Dolan wrote:Yeah I hate that people do this, they are part of the problem. They're solving a problem for themselves by creating a bigger one for a lot more people.
They are real estate hoarders who want to profit from making housing scarce for others.
agreed but also at the same time, given the opportunity to do this, I'm going to do that. before they go after my broke ass, they can have bezos pay taxes and stop with the corporate bail outs. the middle class is not the enemy. corporations / 1% are.

there's a bunch of social policies that would really stimulate the economy. it starts with single payer health care and stuff like universal basic income. the USA is in the fucking stone age lol
just move back to france , it's a workers paradise
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Isn't the richest rich right now from France. The LVMH owner:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/giacomotog ... this-week/

He overtook Bezos, Gates and Musk.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:Isn't the richest rich right now from France. The LVMH owner:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/giacomotog ... this-week/

He overtook Bezos, Gates and Musk.
zut alors!!
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

I am not aiming this at anything specific as a counteragument, but just generally speaking houses as an investment require further investment even after mortgages and whatnot. Pipes, insulation, electricity, the building stock itself and so on have to be replaced or repaired after a few decades usually (at least thats the case for houses built in the 70's and 80's right now, could well be that houses that are built now live longer, dunno enough about that). Not to mention just regular housekeeping jobs/things that break. Windows, doors are also things that need somewhat regular upkeep.

That doesn't mean that people can't make money off of holding lots of real estate, i just wanted to outline this because holding a house as an investment is very safe and "cheap" after you own it, but it's by no means free. Real estate owners take these risks and costs, while rent payers for the most part don't (though small repairs are sometimes shared tbf).
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Prices are starting to fall here in the capital. This is a good sign that the economy is headed in a good direction
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

True, although I don't expect housing prices to continue falling for much longer.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I think it's like the situation with the cars market. If people can afford less to buy new cars, all this hype about EVHs replacing old cars won't amount to much. So they started cutting prices, but again, to someone who can't afford a 54k car giving a 7k discount won't mean much.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

You can make some comparisons but not a lot. For cars you can go a tier down in the model stack.
For houses and apartments the price for making a simple house can't really be cut down significantly as it constitutes of land, materials and labor. The excess profits are pretty slim as is.

This is why I am proceeding with my apartment purchase, I don't expect the prices of new apartments to drop in my area. For second hand there could be some more downwards room to go, sure.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

I'm contributing to gentrification in Berlin starting next month, wish me luck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

harcha wrote: ↑
08 Feb 2023, 11:48
You can make some comparisons but not a lot. For cars you can go a tier down in the model stack.
For houses and apartments the price for making a simple house can't really be cut down significantly as it constitutes of land, materials and labor. The excess profits are pretty slim as is.

This is why I am proceeding with my apartment purchase, I don't expect the prices of new apartments to drop in my area. For second hand there could be some more downwards room to go, sure.
good call. gotta get out of the renting game as soon as practical
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

harcha wrote: ↑
08 Feb 2023, 11:48

The thing is that everyone who could afford a house and/or a credit scheme to finance it has already done so here. A big chunk of our working-age population has left the country and is working abroad.
There's simply not much potential for landlords and real estate goons to milk people who would be desperate to get their own concrete box here.
So prices can only go down, and down, and down. And down. 🙂
United States of America dutchdude117
ESOC Community Team
ESO: Dutchdude117

Post by dutchdude117 »

Just ship Palatine Settlements. Problem solved.
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

Housing crisis crisis housing crisis house house of crisis.