Are Ports OP? Find out this Monday 6pm GMT - Kaister vs AgeOfKiller Grudge Match

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: Are Ports OP? Find out this Monday 6pm GMT - Kaister vs AgeOfKiller Grudge Match

Post by Garja »

princeofcarthage wrote:A better example to give is say if you are playing monopoly and you are the first person in a turn. You are about to play when someone shouts let's take a break next turn. What do you do? By your logic next turn means the turn you are about to start but more often than not the person means after completing it.
This is not a good example, at all.
In this case it's obvious that next is the other one as one turn finishes the other has already started, like in this case. So you end this round and take a break before the next one.
Image Image Image
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: Are Ports OP? Find out this Monday 6pm GMT - Kaister vs AgeOfKiller Grudge Match

Post by princeofcarthage »

Garja wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:A better example to give is say if you are playing monopoly and you are the first person in a turn. You are about to play when someone shouts let's take a break next turn. What do you do? By your logic next turn means the turn you are about to start but more often than not the person means after completing it.
This is not a good example, at all.
In this case it's obvious that next is the other one as one turn finishes the other has already started, like in this case. So you end this round and take a break before the next one.
But the turn has not started as I pointed out. It is just about to start.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

The turn starts when the previous one is over. There is no such thing as no turn in game, unless you ask for a break.
Even if the turn wasn't technically started (because you don't have dice in your hand or w/e), a break "next round" would still mean the same. If you want a break now, you say "let's take a break now".
And, again, it's a bad exaple because "a break next round" doesn't even refer in between rounds. In fact it better refers to "a break during the next round".
Image Image Image
Retired Contributor

Correct, so the same logic applies to days of the week. when you are explicitly talking about fridays, when one friday is over the next one automatically becomes "this friday".

Its morning and you are saying I will do xyz work next evening, what evening is that? Today or tmrw?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

princeofcarthage wrote:when one friday is over the next one automatically becomes "this friday".
What does it mean "over" when talking about days. It's either passed or not. Whatever comes first in chronological order is the next one.
The problem is not the use of the word, the problem is that next refers logically to a sequence of things. You have to first identify how the sequence is structured, then whatever comes next is of no ambiguity.
Image Image Image
Retired Contributor

Garja wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:when one friday is over the next one automatically becomes "this friday".
What does it mean "over" when talking about days. It's either passed or not. Whatever comes first in chronological order is the next one.
Its morning and you are saying I will do xyz work next evening, what evening is that? Today or tmrw? Answer this first.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Garja wrote:
Its morning and you are saying I will do xyz work next evening, what evening is that? Today or tmrw? Answer this first.
The sequence is evening, evening, evening, etc. So if yesterday's evening has passed you're in today's evening even if it's only morning. Hence next evening is tomorrow because todays' evening is the starting point.
Image Image Image
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

lol
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Actually by this (convincing) logic, "next dayX" necessarily means the one of the next week, as the given sequence is the one of daysX and not generic days. That's exaplains why it's common to use "this" and "next".
Image Image Image
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Garja I posted an article that exactly does all your thinking steps but faster and more coherently. Just read that one dude.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Garja I posted an article that exactly does all your thinking steps but faster and more coherently. Just read that one dude.
I know, I just preferred figuring it out myself with logic.
Image Image Image
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Thing is, in my xp Dutch people always say "volgende week zaterdag" in such cases, while in English it's very common in imply the "week" rather than explicitly state it, resulting in confusion. I personally don't agree with the decision to leave that word out, since it's not intuitive to infer it and it has vital meaning in the sentence. Cutting it out makes the sentence ambiguous at best, proven by people ITT having different interpretations and noting how they tend to mention the exact date to avoid confusion.
Retired Contributor

Garja wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
The sequence is evening, evening, evening, etc. So if yesterday's evening has passed you're in today's evening even if it's only morning. Hence next evening is tomorrow because todays' evening is the starting point.
So you basically just said what I said. The sequence here is friday, friday, friday. And since last week's friday has passed next friday is next week since this week's friday is the starting point.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Goodspeed wrote:
Thing is, in my xp Dutch people always say "volgende week zaterdag" in such cases, while in English it's very common in imply the "week" rather than explicitly state it, resulting in confusion. I personally don't agree with the decision to leave that word out, since it's not intuitive to infer it and it has vital meaning in the sentence. Cutting it out makes the sentence ambiguous at best, proven by people ITT having different interpretations and noting how they tend to mention the exact date to avoid confusion.
Did you read the article I shared? It says exactly what you are saying here.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I'm saying in my xp Dutch people don't actually say "volgende vrijdag" and mean "volgende week vrijdag". The article claims that they do, but I've never heard it.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Goodspeed wrote:I'm saying in my xp Dutch people don't actually say "volgende vrijdag" and mean "volgende week vrijdag". The article claims that they do, but I've never heard it.
Mr_Bramboy wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:Wait, next friday doesn't mean the closest friday, but the friday after that?
Yes, otherwise you would use aanstaande. However in my conversations the word aanstaande is hardly used, we just use volgende which would technically be wrong.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I just realized I often say "not this friday but friday next week" ("niet aanstaande vrijdag maar volgende week vrijdag")
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

RefluxSemantic wrote:I just realized I often say "not this friday but friday next week"
I just realized that's because 'friday next week' is still ambiguous on saturday and sunday
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:I'm saying in my xp Dutch people don't actually say "volgende vrijdag" and mean "volgende week vrijdag". The article claims that they do, but I've never heard it.
Mr_Bramboy wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:Wait, next friday doesn't mean the closest friday, but the friday after that?
Yes, otherwise you would use aanstaande. However in my conversations the word aanstaande is hardly used, we just use volgende which would technically be wrong.
Yeah, I still have never heard it; In any case it's very rare. In English it's normal.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

i keep checking this thread to see discussion about if ports is op, but I'm constantly being disappointed
Retired Contributor

dansil92 wrote:i keep checking this thread to see discussion about if ports is op, but I'm constantly being disappointed
If you are checking this thread to see discussion about ports being op then you are bound to get disappointed. You can find it out on Monday 6pm GMT on stream. This thread is just to announce that.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

thank you for your ever helpful contributions
Retired Contributor

Happy to help, as always.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

@Aussie_Drongo this still happening?
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Sweden Aussie_Drongo
Skirmisher
ESO: Darkalbino_

Post by Aussie_Drongo »

harcha wrote:@Aussie_Drongo this still happening?
Just gone live now :)