The African Royals

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Re: The African Royals

Post by dansil92 »

because the game is being maintained rather continuously and the DLC isn't linked to a disc, my assumption would be that steam will just update your game so the content is available for online play, you just won't be able to access it without shelling out a few bucks
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Seems ez enough that if you get matched with someone who doesn't have the dlc, you simply don't lay on the dlc map. Or maybe there will be an option to toggle on and off like there was playing on tad with people who didn't have twc. Or maybe they'll let everyone play in the new maps.
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

Jerimuno wrote:seeing as how they handled USA what makes you believe people who don't have the dlc won't be able to play against people who do?
I never had USA and could play against it just fine, it should be the same with african civs
yeah but we have new map and new native, i guess it will depend if the dlc contains only the 2 civs or if it contains the set, if it is the set i don't know what will happen, or maybe in the qs it does there will simply be no African map
Image Image
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

damn some people can never be satisfied
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Anyway, they added a new mechanic for pretty much every aspect of the civs. So there is a lot of new interesting stuff and that is definetely a good thing. On the other hand, new civs are so different from the old ones that it looks like a different game alltogether. It already happened with TAD civs and it is being repeated again. Imo tourneys and such should mostly operate a distinction between expansions.
Image Image Image
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

kevinitalien wrote:
Jerimuno wrote:seeing as how they handled USA what makes you believe people who don't have the dlc won't be able to play against people who do?
I never had USA and could play against it just fine, it should be the same with african civs
yeah but we have new map and new native, i guess it will depend if the dlc contains only the 2 civs or if it contains the set, if it is the set i don't know what will happen, or maybe in the qs it does there will simply be no African map
I reckon they will put 2-3 African maps on qs map pool which will be available to everyone.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

unless Mansa Musa himself funds this, there's no way they'd include anything for free
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I mean, everything in the USA dlc could be gotten for free
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

gibson wrote:I mean, everything in the USA dlc could be gotten for free
that'd be a good deal if it's not like double the price or sth
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Garja wrote:Anyway, they added a new mechanic for pretty much every aspect of the civs. So there is a lot of new interesting stuff and that is definetely a good thing. On the other hand, new civs are so different from the old ones that it looks like a different game alltogether. It already happened with TAD civs and it is being repeated again. Imo tourneys and such should mostly operate a distinction between expansions.
Agreed 100% :D

This feels more like an expansion than USA did, so guess there's that.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Slovenia Javon
Musketeer

Post by Javon »

InsectPoison wrote:damn some people can never be satisfied
If they split the community it's honestly dumb, even now for some high level players the search times are long enough.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Javon wrote:
InsectPoison wrote:damn some people can never be satisfied
If they split the community it's honestly dumb, even now for some high level players the search times are long enough.
They didn't split the community with the USA DLC. :?:
Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Slovenia Javon
Musketeer

Post by Javon »

Yes and hopefully they do the same this time. It's only the new maps and minor civs that should be available for everyone. With USA they didn't add either of those two things.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Each dlc on the original game split the community, as did EP, and yet here we are today
United States of America Dolphincup
Musketeer
ESO: Dolphincup

Post by Dolphincup »

back when TWC and TAD were released there were software limitations that prevented integration between expansion and non-expansion owners. Those limitations don't exist any more so there's no reason why people w/o the expansion won't be able to play with people who have the expansion.

As for splitting the community by separating tournaments by african/non-african players, that's just silly. tournaments can always have bans for OP civs, but as long as player interaction is meaningful, it's not going to be a "different game." 88% of the game will play exactly the same as it did before. Splitting the community is never a good idea.

Things that make DE a different game are things that change the game-play in nearly 100% of the matches, like more hunts, 100 TC build XP, unstandardized TC build limits, and the constant presence of a civ that has resource-collecting buildings.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Anyone who is serious about the game will buy the DLC anyway.
Mongolia badger_prince
Musketeer
ESO: badger_prince

Post by badger_prince »

If I am not mistaken in aoe2DE you can (multi)play against all dlc content, you just can't use it yourself.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

You could also play TAD with TAD people who didn't have TWC.
Garja wrote:
Australia PatrickLFC
Musketeer

Post by PatrickLFC »

Aizamk wrote:Finally two new civs to figure out now that USA is solved
New tame elifent is called "Aiz", expecting a strategy built around these!
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

Man if people think Mams were unkillable, we are going to go back to units that have 2 armours baby
Attachments
index.png
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

helln00 wrote:Man if people think Mams were unkillable, we are going to go back to units that have 2 armours baby
You mean forward. One type of armour only has always been an abomination.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

on a serious note, 20% double armor is more killable than 40% ranged armor
Image Image Image
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

i don't really get the point of 2 armors. just bump up that HP stat and take away armors at that point. siege resist doesn't really matter on cavalry, right?
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

harcha wrote:i don't really get the point of 2 armors. just bump up that HP stat and take away armors at that point. siege resist doesn't really matter on cavalry, right?
actually the falc is not that bad against the goons but yeah vs hand cav..., maybe this unit is the only answer against artillery for this civ, that would explain (or maybe it's just random xD)
Oh its maybe for resist the fort and warships ? xD
Image Image
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

so far it seems to be melee and range resist, so maybe to make them strong against everything but still countered by cannons?