ESOC Premier League S3 - PLAYOFFS!! [Won by the Blockhouse Boomers]

United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

ESOC Premier League S3 - PLAYOFFS!! [Won by the Blockhouse Boomers]

Post by Cometk »

— Match Schedule — EPL3 Standings — Event Discord — ECL1 Standings — Tourney Schedule —

Image Image Image

Maps: Manchuria / Colorado / Pampas Sierras / Florida / Dakota / Korea / Punjab

Boomers will lock civilizations first in Game 2.

Hudson Bay BIGs (16) vs Blockhouse Boomers (19)

Mitoe (0) vs Kaiserklein (7)
Kaister (4) vs iamturk (3)
TheNameDaniel (6) vs LukasL (1)
minimoult21 (3) vs 4yk1n (4)
Don Artie (3) vs Rohbrot (4)

BIGs Substitutes: Ageofkiller, Optimus
BOOM Substitutes: I want a baby with Garja

Round deadline is Sunday, October 24th, 23:59 GMT.

— Match Schedule — EPL3 Standings — Event Discord — ECL1 Standings — Tourney Schedule —
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: ESOC Premier League S3 - PLAYOFFS!!

Post by gibson »

Gonna be close
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

gibson wrote:Gonna be close
With Garjonians not taking it.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Dodgy Don
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

chris1089 wrote:
With Garjonians losing it
:nwc:
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

Finally a logo was made for blockhouse boomers lmao just realised it's nice though
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

Challenger_Marco wrote:
chris1089 wrote:
With Garjonians losing it
I can assure you that the Garjonians will not lose a single playoff game in this season of EPL and ECL
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

This years EPL felt quite a bit underwhelming tbh. Lot less hype, no discussions, viewer numbers also from what I have seen were bit on the lower side. No callen predictions, no #trg predictions. Cometk's roasts were also missing. They haven't even posted the prize pool yet. This is strictly my personal view and observation. I think the main issue was with the auction. EPL was still ok. ECL was a total fraud. CMC was simply lacklustre even with good names in the roster. Same can be said for MDS. Boomers turned out to be paper tigers due to a single mistake. I still think playoffs can go either way but Boomers should have slight edge. Tit or Somppu will be a thorn in their side but I think they should go with Somppu instead of tit.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Well in a nutshell no event schedule = no hype
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

i got a job so aoe3 got a lot worse just faxts
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

also casting games in ep was just a lot better. de sux balls.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
No Flag turnuva
Crossbow

Post by turnuva »

Cringe Map Maker wrote:let me know when microsoft publishes some of your maps
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

can't choose betwee mitoe and rohbrot, my heart is torn
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Retired Contributor

turnuva wrote:The event is going on great tbh, one of the few tournament in eso-c history which doesn't include any drama, casting could be organized better at first but since marco took it over, it's going well aswell. And DE obs system isn't as useful as EP let's not forget that.
It should be humiliating right?
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Welcome back folks for another edition of Cometk's UNBIASED Predictions

Hudson Bay BIGs

At the start of the season, I would've easily ranked the BIGs as the worst team for the second year running. I definitely thought the American core of the team (yes, Daniel and Don are Americans too) was total dogshit compared to the rest of the field, lacking a sequential order for each player in terms of strength as they're all quite similar, and none of them I'd have ranked in the top 10. Even now, I still wouldn't rank anybody on their team in the top 10 besides Mitoe. Despite this, however, they ripped the competition to shreds. If I had written unbiased team rankings following the Auction, then I would've forewarned about the immense synergy that these guys can have that might augment their lack of on-paper strength. And I think that's a lot of what was at play this season, the transformative power these players have in cooperating to produce inventive and incisive strategies to rack up wins, as well as their fraternal energy bolstering each other. I would've placed Daniel barely at the edge of the top 20, but he went bananas in Weeks 1 and 2. Don also finished 9-6 which is better than I would've estimated of him. Mini and Kaister ended with positive league stage results, sharing Slot 2 and 3 opponents. And Mitoe set the pace with a strong record in the Slot 1 position. Not a single player went negative, which is crazy when you think about it. That's an intimidating fact, and should again reiterate just how much the team that works together is the team that wins together.

Blockhouse Boomers

I'm happy to see the Boomers here. It's a nice turnaround from last season and I'm glad to see the redemption storyline playing out. Going into the season I would've definitely ranked the Kaiser-turk-Lukas trio as the most intimidating 3-slot core. I was actually a bit surprised by Prinz's choice to pick up Kaiser, at least while the bidding was going on. It was a little nerve-wracking seeing that much placed on the Slot 1 player at the point in time where he had already spent the most of any other manager. It was also somewhat of a gamble considering Kaiser had still yet to play Mitoe for their semi-finals series in the Legacy Tournament, and his performance there might be an important barometer for his continuing skill level after his hiatus following the Global Champs. This core delivered though, with Kaiser not missing a beat, punching through the competition comme EPL Season 2, and turk and Lukas holding fast, each going a point positive for the team. This set the team quite far ahead, with the fortuitous results provided by Slot 5'ers Somppu and Rohbrot sealing the deal for their Playoffs qualification.

Mitoe (3) vs Kaiserklein (4)

This feels super obvious, but yeah, the past half-dozen Kaiser vs Mitoe showings have seemed to yield this exact result of Kaiser narrowly edging Mitoe out in a close series. Both of these players have had strong seasons, making a clear line in the skill-level sand, separating themselves from the other Slot 1 players Knusch and Samwise. Looking at Mitoe's tournament history throughout DE, it's kind of a reminder that he hasn't, in fact, fallen off? but still in my head it feels like there were a few months where Mitoe's AoE3-playing vitality had been sapped, I dunno. Whatever schizophrenic hallucinations I may've suffered, Mikey has been sure to drag me back to reality with an extremely stellar run in the Global Championship and a great series with Kaiser in the Legacy Tournament. Kaiser as well, despite taking a break for a while after some shaky performances in the Global Champs, has proved again for the nth time that he's near untouchable in the top-level space, winning the Legacy tournament and finishing the EPL3 league stage having won every match in the Slot 1 position.

I can really see this match going either way. I'd give it like ~50% on Kaiser 4-3, ~40% on Mitoe 4-3, and >~10% on Kaiser 5-2. I don't think Kaiser's 11-4 league stage results are a fluke, and he has close to the same tenacity he had in EPL2. But Mitoe is his only true foil at the moment, and that will make for another crazy series.

Kaister (4) vs iamturk (3)

Kai is a charismatic cat, and I feel his exuberance is definitely an aspect in some of his AoE3 success. From his origins as a Lakota lamer he's developed an ice-pick playstyle that works really well at piercing through particular players but sometimes falls flat vs others. I think over the past year especially, he's shaped himself into a well-enough threat that most players know going up against him won't be a breeze, even when they might normally be the clear favorite. He had great showings in the Challenge Cup and Global Championship, the latter of which he almost reached the Semis of after a final bout series with Knusch. I've been on the kaister bandwagon for years now, and it's been a rocky ride but this year has paid off with Kai seeing the plunder of years-long effort.

Despite his techniques of pristine execution, turk has a lot of idiosyncrasies in his style of play that make him both a dynamic threat and sometimes a fool of his own desire. What I mean by this is that turk, while having a markedly high level of mechanical skill, often chooses to mirror his opponent in their errantry when they choose to do non-standard builds. This leads him to make strange decisions that can pan out really well sometimes, or leave him floundering like a fish out of water in others. I remember a game on EP where in an India mirror on Arizona he did a colonial Gurkha-Zamb Agra Fort build into an FI. Like what the fuck is that shit. Anyway, it's just a small part of what makes me such a big fan of his. And anyway anyway, unfortunately, I think his style gets kind of picked apart by Kai's.

The last two times these players have met, turk has gone 2-4 (Bo7) and 2-3 (Pa5) vs Kai, and Kai has been racking up a lot of credibility in the meantime. I would still rate turk clearly within the top 10, and Kai outside of that range. But here are the instances where Kai's novel skillset comes into play that make him multiply tenfold in size. Fair edge his way.

TheNameDaniel (3) vs LukasL (4)

Daniel's had an extremely hot debut season playing in the EPL. He literally retired his first two opponents, and despite fumbling the pension bag in his Week 3 series, I think a 10-5 league stage finish is hard to scoff at in a 4-team format. Honestly, I chalk up his loss to Rohbrot last week as being too busy with other responsibilities to get a handle on the match when it was come-time-to-play. I guess you could say the same was true for his Week 2 victory vs baus, where baus was running on fumings after having been stacked with unending difficult series'. But I'd still point to the caliber of play Daniel displayed there, which was remarkably dialed in and precise. Stepping down from the managerial stand and onto the player's plate, Daniel has clearly showed this season he's picked up a lot from his players in the way of smashing through the competition.

Lukas has also had a decent run this season, finishing 8-7 in matches against Ezad, Aizamk, and minimoult. I'd say that's really good. Keeping it unbiased, before the season started I'd have said Lukas definitely suffered a fall from grace in the months prior. Getting clocked by Mr. Calendar in R1 of Kaiser's Legacy Tourney and taking some hard losses in the ESOC Challenge Cup are what defined this decline. But I think this was actually a good thing for Lukas. I think trying to grasp at the coat-tails of the top brass of AoE3 competition didn't suit him, and getting picked up for 21- and some coins by Prinz fared really well for the Boomers. He's been holding fast in slot 3, and I think that's exactly where he should be.

Daniel impressed me a lot this season. If he didn't falter vs Rohbrot last week, then my knee-jerk placement for this match would've been a 4-3 victory for Daniel. After last week though, and given Lukas' more consistent performance vs more consistent players, I'd say Lukas is quite likely to 4-3 or 5-2 this. I think 4-3 Lukas is the most probable result of these options.

minimoult21 vs 4yk1n

Tit has had a rough season so far, dropping scores that I'd say are punching well below his weight. I don't rate his talent as standout, but he's certainly on the edge of the top 10 and so to finish the League Stage with a 4-11 record is quite underwhelming. However, I think it's important to mention that sometimes the stark results don't account for the reality underlying them. For example, I feel his 1-4 result in his series vs Lavendar was a bit fluky, considering the closeness of Game 5 and that I'd say Lavendar was coming in hot at the start of the season, easily a player I'd rate within the top 10. It does make it hard for me to favor Tit in a series, but I don't think he's any less for a rough league stage, and underestimating him here could be fatal.

Minimoult has been milking shit like I'd been hoping he would. Despite some inactivity over the past few months and a shut-out series in the Legacy tournament, Mini has improved significantly since DE's inception a year ago. Towards the end of EP I think I'd have estimated him as a mid-to-high level Lt. Col., above my level for sure but still only just entering the Colonel range where I'd say top-level status starts to be legitimized. It was some months ago I got the chance to watch his FPV after some inactivity of my own, and his level of play impressed me a lot. I'd easily say he shot up to PR38 Brigadier level. And even though in this season he technically lost in his series' vs Aiz and Lukas, he still ended the league stage with an 8-7 record after a convincing victory, taking down the blossoming talent Lavendar. Having close matches with and winning vs players of this rank very clearly show how tenacious mini has become.

Unfortunately at the time of writing this I have been made aware some of the results of this match, so I can't give truly unbiased predictions for the series.

Don Artie (5) vs Rohbrot (2)

I'll admit, I'm a bit light on Rohbrot lore since the beginning of DE. I'm just going off memory here, but I believe this is Rohbrot's first tournament showing since iNcog's Empire Cup #2. I don't know what have been his ongoings or impact on the meta since that last event, and so I'm kind of in the dark as to if he's improved at all since I last saw or faced him. His style was obnoxious when I played against him personally and was something I matched into quite poorly, so if we were to have a play-all-5 I hazard he'd win it, no doubt take one with Spain at least once and probably knocking me off my rocker thereafter. I was a bit dubious on Rohbrot's proficiency going into Week 3, but his games really emphasized how well he can utilize his mastery of Spain to punish any little suboptimizations his opponents make in countering his strategies. I'm still skeptical of his general ability, but if he can pull out a victory vs a hot player who smashed other really talented players, then it can't be underrated his capacity to wield his M.O. like a bludgeon with no hesitation.

Don has had a handsome season, winning against two players I'd consider peripheral to the top 10 in September and Tit, and only actually dropping a series to Yukietty, who'd I'd have placed more around low Top 20 (below where I'd rank Don, ironically). Exiting the league stage with a 9-6 is solid, especially carrying that performance over into the last week. Don is mechanically decent, but where I think he really shines through is in his intelligence of play and willingness to utilize everything possible to win. I think this makes him a particularly difficult opponent for Rohbrot, as he'll essentially do what Rohbrot does but with a more acute spacial sense for the strategical field of opportunity. Don has more adaptability, and from what limited POV I have witnessed, a more solid backdrop of mechanical skill.

Don's scouting tendencies might serve to hurt him in this week's match. I think that lackluster scouting can be fatal against Rohbrot's Spain, which he knows how to leverage well to punish small mistakes. Countering the Spain takes quite some precision, but outside that, I'm not really sure Don should struggle in the other 5 games. I can see him losing a game to Spain and maybe losing another game somewhere else. The play-all-7 format is going to be a challenge for Rohbrot. That gives his Spain significantly less surface area. Imho, granting Rohbrot 2 victories here is being charitable. I'm inclined to give Don the 6-1, but I somewhat underestimated Rohbrot in the week prior, and so it's not at all impossible for him to pull the right levers to clinch a victory.

Hudson Bay BIGs (15) vs Blockhouse Boomers (13)
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

Nice write up ,I think it will be close ,gonna come down to mitoe vs kaiser & don vs rohbrot ,prinz's team getting a 2nd chance into the playoffs feels like the stars were aligned this time again,if there is one shot at winning ,this is might bethe one for prinz ,any luck but to spice some things up i'm gonna go with Blockhouse Boomers winning it ,can't doubt rohbrot for a little of participation of tourney which makes him an underdog player & none sees it coming which makes judgement of the player harder ,would say rohbrot is in his prime form ,but the BIGs are scarier too in their prime but idk if don has the motivation to beat like he had vs kaiser ,daniel is just swinging his bat without much practice ,i don't see turk playing much ,it's like playing with high & lows and the score is a variable.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player

Post by princeofkabul »

Challenger_Marco wrote:Nice write up ,I think it will be close ,gonna come down to mitoe vs kaiser & don vs rohbrot ,prinz's team finally making it into the playoffs feels like the stars were aligned this time ,if there is one shot at winning ,this is the one for prinz ,any luck but to spice some things up i'm gonna go with Blockhouse Boomers winning it ,can't doubt rohbrot for a little of participation of tourney which makes him an underdog player & none sees it coming which makes judgement of the player harder ,would say rohbrot is in his prime form ,but the BIGs are scarier too in their prime but idk if don has the motivation to beat like he had vs kaiser ,daniel is just swinging his bat without much practice ,i don't see turk playing much ,it's like playing with high & lows and the score is a variable.

This is the 2nd time my team reaches the playoffs.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

princeofkabul wrote:
Challenger_Marco wrote:Nice write up ,I think it will be close ,gonna come down to mitoe vs kaiser & don vs rohbrot ,prinz's team finally making it into the playoffs feels like the stars were aligned this time ,if there is one shot at winning ,this is the one for prinz ,any luck but to spice some things up i'm gonna go with Blockhouse Boomers winning it ,can't doubt rohbrot for a little of participation of tourney which makes him an underdog player & none sees it coming which makes judgement of the player harder ,would say rohbrot is in his prime form ,but the BIGs are scarier too in their prime but idk if don has the motivation to beat like he had vs kaiser ,daniel is just swinging his bat without much practice ,i don't see turk playing much ,it's like playing with high & lows and the score is a variable.

This is the 2nd time my team reaches the playoffs.
Am sorry for that my EPL logs in brain couldn't remember it ,yes you are in playoffs 2nd time now and 1st time in EPL season 1 NN vs SKG ,let's go anyways
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: I Date My Cousin

Post by kaister »

Challenger_Marco wrote: Am sorry for that my EPL logs in brain couldn't remember it ,yes you are in playoffs 2nd time now and 1st time in EPL season 1 NN vs SKG ,let's go anyways
You sure SKG didnt make it last year? Iirc we made a run late in the season
Retired Contributor

Kaiser vs Mitoe should have been casted last imo, depending upon turk vs kaister vs result. As score stands 16-12 in boomers favor Kaister needs to 6-1 iamturk which is near impossible. Assuming a closer result say 4-3 for turk which puts the score at 13-15 and kaiser needing 5-2 to win would have made it more interesting and generated more hype imo.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

princeofcarthage wrote:Kaiser vs Mitoe should have been casted last imo, depending upon turk vs kaister vs result. As score stands 16-12 in boomers favor Kaister needs to 6-1 iamturk which is near impossible. Assuming a closer result say 4-3 for turk which puts the score at 13-15 and kaiser needing 5-2 to win would have made it more interesting and generated more hype imo.
Yeah you're right, we'll keep the results of live casted games in mind next time.
Retired Contributor

Thought it was casted from recs
Retired Contributor

@princeofkabul what do you think somppu minimoult result would have looked like
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player

Post by princeofkabul »

princeofcarthage wrote:@princeofkabul what do you think somppu minimoult result would have looked like
Probably not favourable for us. Somppu is kinda too busy to practise aoe 3.
Finland somp
Dragoon

Post by somp »

princeofcarthage wrote:@princeofkabul what do you think somppu minimoult result would have looked like
This is just zero-value wisdom after events. If we re-played the finals, our line up would be exactly the same. Lukas has been solid and one bad day changes nothing.

Our only question mark was whether I or Rohbrot plays but after he had an awesome series and also a lot of hours last 2 weeks, 'so also that choice was obvious and I told Prince to let him play.