Official AoE4 First Impressions Thread

General forum about Age of Empires 4.
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Re: Official AoE4 First Impressions Thread

Post by Zutazuta »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
WickedCossack wrote:Caved in and purchased it before the hotkey fix, though only for the singleplayer action. Anyone else done the campaign and what do you think of it or only ultra competitive multiplayer action on ESOC?

I'm up to mission 6/7 on Normandy and the unlockable videos are very well done, excellent addition. The actual mission design itself though ... they keep giving me large armies and re-inforcements every map where I just a-move for 90% of the mission. Where's the "here's 3 villagers, go create your village and make what you want to make"' design? I suppose since they are tryig to recreate history the only significant things to focus on are large battles ... but still, anyone who's done the other 3 campaigns know if this changes?
Normandy is the introduction to the campaign. The later missions are much harder. I'm stuck on a French mission for now.
What difficulty are you playing on? I just started and don’t know what to put it at.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Zutazuta wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:
WickedCossack wrote:Caved in and purchased it before the hotkey fix, though only for the singleplayer action. Anyone else done the campaign and what do you think of it or only ultra competitive multiplayer action on ESOC?

I'm up to mission 6/7 on Normandy and the unlockable videos are very well done, excellent addition. The actual mission design itself though ... they keep giving me large armies and re-inforcements every map where I just a-move for 90% of the mission. Where's the "here's 3 villagers, go create your village and make what you want to make"' design? I suppose since they are tryig to recreate history the only significant things to focus on are large battles ... but still, anyone who's done the other 3 campaigns know if this changes?
Normandy is the introduction to the campaign. The later missions are much harder. I'm stuck on a French mission for now.
What difficulty are you playing on? I just started and don’t know what to put it at.
I'm playing on Hard (the hardest difficulty) and it sorta lives up to expectations, however the AI is really, really bad.

GiantGrantGames, a large SC2 campaign speedrunner/challenge youtuber, made a very good review video. He is not too negative, but he describes the AI as the worst AI he has ever seen.

You can beat every single army with a handful of archers if you're patient enough. The AI doesn't gather resources but instead just spawns units at appropriate times. The campaign and the story are fun, but not difficult to beat at all once you figure out the AI.
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Post by don_artie »

I went 5-0 in eng-fre against drongo, but I think against stronger opponents it should just always be a french win. You have some things you can do as english tho and if you're not playing against the top players it's definitly winnable. Overall best strat is wait for france to get nerfed. maybe you get something out of this @Cleters
No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Post by Cleters »

Thx man, I'll watch this ! :)
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I finally found the time to play some aoe4. I love what they did with the campaigns. It's quite genius.
France duke mustache
Crossbow
ESO: duke mustache

Post by duke mustache »

Hi. Two stupid questions here.
- To save time, how do you get your villagers into the TC to bring them out on the other side on another resource? On AOE 3 no problem, but every time I try on AOE4 villagers mess out and stay at the feet of the TC.
- For micro, How do you see the remaining life of the units to know which one shoot ? Alt does not work on AOE4.

Thank you

Good game everyone.
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

duke mustache wrote:Hi. Two stupid questions here.
- To save time, how do you get your villagers into the TC to bring them out on the other side on another resource? On AOE 3 no problem, but every time I try on AOE4 villagers mess out and stay at the feet of the TC.
- For micro, How do you see the remaining life of the units to know which one shoot ? Alt does not work on AOE4.

Thank you

Good game everyone.
For the 2nd one, you can enable hp bars on settings

France duke mustache
Crossbow

Post by duke mustache »

thank you it looks like i didn't read well the setting ^^
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

duke mustache wrote:Hi. Two stupid questions here.

Thank you

Good game everyone.
@don_artie had a video on how to make vills hop in

India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Man that is top level feature usage wow ,that video deserves so many views imo
:nwc:
France duke mustache
Crossbow

Post by duke mustache »

thank you ! Don looks like the new encyclopedia here!
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Seeing no one using the TC Hop out micro yet it cosst 3 apm but i don't think many know about it ,The top 8 are going to play without knowing this??? Currently watched Hera and hes walking vills all around the TC KEK , don is 1 step ahead in meta micro in aoe4 huge potential
:nwc:
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

So who are the strongest players people here met on Quicksearch 1v1?
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

Victor_swe
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Zutazuta wrote:Victor_swe
I asked about players you met. Victor_Swe is an exalted deity, not a mere player.
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

FAX
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

My first impressions:

finished Norman campaign and Moscow campaign. I love what they've done with these videos between missions. The missions themselves are mostly average, but part of the problem is that I'm probably not the right audience for casual campaign games. I must say that the Moscow campaign had many missions that were significantly more interesting and challenging than the Norman missions. After these 2 campaigns I found myself wishing to finally start playing some PvP games.

As a PvP game I find this game to have a lot of potential. There are definitely interesting strategies to be discovered (I decided I want to discover most of this stuff on my own so I'm not watching any videos or reading things about it). The sad thing is that I'm really annoyed by the polish of the game. In the beta I figured these would be easy changes, but they hardly made any progress from beta to release. The lack of customizable hotkeys is really sad, the hitboxes got quite a bit worse imo, the overall interface is lacking in many regards (I don't really mind the general UI or style, but there's tons of little things that aren't working properly). It's such a shame, because the game is probably a 10/10 otherwise.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Pretty much entirely agree ^
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

yurashic wrote:AOE 4 is currently number 20 on twitch by viewer count (more than New World and Blizzard games).
weird flex
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon
ESO: EliteRifleman
Clan: SpNz

Post by EliteRifleman »

pecelot wrote:
yurashic wrote:AOE 4 is currently number 20 on twitch by viewer count (more than New World and Blizzard games).
weird flex
5u9mc2.jpg
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

what's “the balanded”
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon
ESO: EliteRifleman
Clan: SpNz

Post by EliteRifleman »

pecelot wrote:what's “the balanded”
I wanted to see if you guys were paying attention (?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

oof
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Artillery is so extremely boring to me and I hate how I'm forced to make a shitton otherwise just lose.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Yeah the pringles meta needs to end asap