How to Nerf Brits?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.

How to Nerf the British??

-100f crates
5%
-100w +100c crates
10%
-100w +100f crates
4%
Increase manor cost by 5 wood
15%
Increase manor build time by 5 seconds (20s to 25s)
11%
Decrease effect of VC from -35% Cheaper to -30% cheaper
5%
They are fine as they are
19%
They need a buff
5%
Garja
17%
Nerf Dutch instead
11%

Total votes: 111

Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

How to Nerf Brits?

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

The British have continuously been in the S tier for civ strength since DE came out. This is mainly due to the EP9 change that all civs should have their optimum crate start (other civs have since had their crates nerfed). The British currently start with 300f and 300w crates, which is less than other civs, allowing the british to get an early TP and manor, double manor or market + manor increasing the age 1 eco of the civ. The British currently age up in a fast time to age 2 and always have time to get a decent manor boom off in most match ups, even having enough time against the slightly slower age up time the russians now have. With a decent age up time to age 2, good tempo and eco the British are in good shape to compete with every other civ but what i find very strong about the civ is the easy musk/huss macro and not having to produce additional housing for military population space. Thoughts below? After mexico got smashed with the nerf hammer last patch im unsure if the balance team want to bring all the civs up British strength or try and pull in all the civs to a solid A tier civ like Iro, french, Germany, india etc...
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Re: How to Nerf Brits?

Post by Hazza54321 »

Dont really think they warrant a nerf. Theyre strong but also hard to play and have clear weaknesses (slow age to 3, need alot of natural res, shit vs musks). Theyre hard to micro macro and deserve to be rewarded as such.
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

Maybe -50f since every other civ is copping something like this. Last time I was active I ended up playing a bit of france vs brit and you lose your mid-map TP virtually every single game at like 6 minutes and there's nothing you can do just because of the typical age 2 time disparity.
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

Kawapasaka wrote:Maybe -50f since every other civ is copping something like this. Last time I was active I ended up playing a bit of france vs brit and you lose your mid-map TP virtually every single game at like 6 minutes and there's nothing you can do just because of the typical age 2 time disparity.
that could be a start indeed, every time I play brits and age one vill earlier I find it so much better as it snowballs with earlier manors/700w. Tho I also agree with hazza as it is imo the hardest civ to play overall

No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Post by Cleters »

I'm biased on that one but I think they shouldn't touch anything at all about all the pre-DE civs, because there's always the risk to stay on a shit point after they stop support. We all know that game is impossible to balance because it depends on mus. They could always put back random crates but the bad ones were such a pain to start with.

I feel like people are always asking to nerf the civs they think are the bests. Like France at the start of DE even if it wasn't really needed. Then nerf the next one, then the next one... until France will be good again, then nerf it :P
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

ngl but brit is not the hardest civ to play for me
Image Image
Greece LazarosVas
Dragoon
Clan: GMDS

Post by LazarosVas »

a -100w +100c or -100f +100c would do.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Nobody touches the main squeeze
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon
ESO: EliteRifleman
Clan: SpNz

Post by EliteRifleman »

It would be nice if they nerf them a bit, I'm tired of ranking and everyone playing with Brits, Japan, Russia and Dutch.
No Flag a forum ghost
Musketeer

Post by a forum ghost »

I not gonna pretend like I am a high level player, I'm far from it. (About 1600 on ladder, never really played older versions of the game so I don't know about those ranks)

But on my level, British is the biggest noob crutch out there. I know a bunch of accounts that are 1500-1600 by just spamming houses and musks on age 2.
They are a worst crutch than Otto because they actually have decent eco, Otto sorta of just die naturally after some failed jans push due to weak eco, British can continue going on, so you can keep sucking, solely z moving musketeers and still win sometimes.

Maybe is different at a higher level, where you cannot win a game without knowing what longbows and dragoons are. But that's just how it works on my level.

Plus, I still play against the extreme AI from time to time (That's how noob I am), and there are only 2 civs on the game which I can outgather the AI: Brits and Swedes. (Can't do with Dutch, can't do it with Japanese)

I guess that means something considering the Extreme AI have a handicap.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

I'd do nothing that change their versatility, so this excludes all nerf to their starting crates. Being able to go either 3 manors, TP+manor or market+manor is just great from a diversity point of view.
If they need a nerf, a slight nerf to their manor cost and building time to keep their boom in check should be quite enough.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

I feel that such a boomy civ shouldn't age up so fast and can be as aggressive as any other rush civs. They do have weaknesses, but we can do some more balance changes.
Bad against musks? Why don't set the 500g 9 cherokee shipment to 10? 120*10-500=700, that's proper.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Give brit exiled prince imo
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

Ha, ya right.

Brits are the hardest macro and micro civ (extremely manual) in the game. They get shit on by automatic macro and automatic micro civs. They donā€™t even have a single unit that can kill halbs.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young childā€™s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher
ESO: DrAzTiK

Post by draztik »

I also find britts very strong ( at least again spain) especially because you cannot even destroy manor with falcs..
Yes britts need food and map control but on DE most of map have plenty of it. They can also reach age 3 with a good defense at a good timing if running out at of food (or not..) , no need exiled prince lol. when reaching age III, no need food anymore, mass falc ftw.
India Realife_Brahmin
Skirmisher
ESO: Realife_Brahmin

Post by Realife_Brahmin »

I don't like how British have top tier musks and their goons still get buffed from an Age 2 Cavalry HP card but France and Spain do not. (Only Hand Cav HP). They should change it to only Hand Cav HP upgrade card in Age 2.

I don't think -50 food crate start can nearly compensate for lamely populating the whole map by individual colonies of manor created vills. I guess Manor building creation time should be increased enough to respect the vill training times of other civs.
Germany Joe
Dragoon

Post by Joe »

draztik wrote:I also find britts very strong ( at least again spain) especially because you cannot even destroy manor with falcs..
Yes britts need food and map control but on DE most of map have plenty of it. They can also reach age 3 with a good defense at a good timing if running out at of food (or not..) , no need exiled prince lol. when reaching age III, no need food anymore, mass falc ftw.
buff Falcs :lol:
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

It's been years brits deserve a real nerf. The civ has almost no weaknesses, it's fast, has a huge eco, great upgrades, good water, etc. And now they also have a hundred hunts in base. Plus it's really easy to play unlike what people like to pretend.
I'm not even much of a brit player yet I win almost all my brit games. Meanwhile I lose to people 5-10 PR lower when they're playing the civ. It's kinda obscene. Even if you don't know what you're doing, you can usually just mass units and be fine

Their only real weakness is the 10 iq noob musk civs like japan and india, or former sweden. But I'm not sure if that's really a brit weakness or just these civs having flawed design themselves.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

They don't warrant a nerf and not because they're hard to play (they're not) but because their strenghts are nothing really abusable. Good eco and good units are legit bonuses. Most other civs have sharper and more abusable bonuses that usually dictate how the game goes, especially vs brits.
Brits are very resource reliant civ, so even tho they age up earlier than most civs they still can't be the agressor in most MUs.
Just as an example, Lakota don't age as quick as Brits and definetely have worse eco, however they can still drop a war hut mid map, have multiple good unit shipments and don't need houses. This warrants them map control and can dictate the game.

Also just like all euro civs, most of their units are doomed vs other more specialized units (e.g. brit vs india once India has sent both camel ups) and need more eco to spam more units just to compete.
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Half the games as brits you can age at like 3:50-55 and drop your tower and rax middle map, that's definitely mapcontrol. Sure it's not as fast as sioux usually, but that's just because sioux has easily one of the fastest rushes out here. And they won't have the follow up brits have.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

hmm 15v age up is not that common, is it?
Also you drop a fb, then what? It's not true Brit has great/better follow up in that type of game. The manor mechanic doesn't work that well when houses are added gradually because it takes some time for each vill to compensate the 35w cost.
Imo Brits only feel unfair for those civs like Fre and Ger which pretty much suffer from the same problems but have less eco and usually don't age as fast (Germans tho have some other sharper mechanics imo).
Image Image Image
No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Post by Cleters »

Found some stats I sended to a friend once :

The first one was a version of ep, it's on the forum somewhere, the second is from an age of empire site, if I remind well it's automatically calculating for lobbies on nilla.
On both stats, even if one of the most picked civ, brits also has the worst winrate at all. And on that ep version, it was by a lot apparently, only 42% winrate vs 47% for the second worst.

The only things that change to brit from the 2005 brit version is :

+2 los for lb
and... that's it.

There's 2 other things, but that's about every civ : tp from 250 to 200 that allow one house + tp without idle time or treasure and fixed crates.

That's why I don't really understand why the civ would need a nerf now and not 10 years ago, maybe we should bring some stats at high lvl about winrate if that exist.
Attachments
stats.png
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

These stats are so irrelevant lol. Civs like brits and france are probably the most played at lower level so obviously they'll have shitty winrates. Also who cares about stats on no hunt maps when nowadays you always spawn with a ton of hunts?
Garja wrote:hmm 15v age up is not that common, is it?
Also you drop a fb, then what? It's not true Brit has great/better follow up in that type of game. The manor mechanic doesn't work that well when houses are added gradually because it takes some time for each vill to compensate the 35w cost.
Imo Brits only feel unfair for those civs like Fre and Ger which pretty much suffer from the same problems but have less eco and usually don't age as fast (Germans tho have some other sharper mechanics imo).
If you go double manor and get like 60f or some livestock you can pretty much age a vil early everytime.
Well it's "gradually" because you're making units, but at the same time you age earlier and get stuff like 700w earlier (which gives you xp for your next shipment earlier as well) so in fact you end up easily having a better eco than most civs even though you aged sub 4 min and aren't even greeding.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Garja wrote:hmm 15v age up is not that common, is it?
it's very common, kaiser said it right.
what is less common is aging at 3:25 which you can do if you get really lucky i.e. sheep + food treasures.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Korea South Miyawaki Sakura
Dragoon
ESO: April

Post by Miyawaki Sakura »

Brits is one of the worst civ.
Trust me