How would you design the Italians, ESOC?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Denmark jonasnee
Crossbow
ESO: jose96

Re: How would you design the Italians, ESOC?

Post by jonasnee »

i am not sure why people think Italy is coming soon, i definitely would not expect them as a solo faction if they were to come.

that said for Italy, archaic really, unique unit ideas:

Pavis crossbow

Latin swordsman

mounted crossbowman

italian knight (melee cav)

Galleass (replaces galleon)

unique economic bonus: merchants

merchants can only gather resources, about 25% better than normal villagers, limited availability similar to settlerwagons.
Earth DayanG
Musketeer

Post by DayanG »

I always wonder if the developers read these threads or if they have someone in charge of doing it, otherwise we always discuss in vain
Earth DayanG
Musketeer

Post by DayanG »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:
Jets wrote: Please no more multi-cards age up.
I was more thinking along the lines of each age up option offering different kind of buffs.
Venezia : cheaper and faster training warships and cannons.
Papal states : increase xp trickle for church, can train cheaper Swiss pikes
Genova : buff to xbows and pikes, improved trading route.
Something light but that would make age up choice a real strategic decision rather than something where there is just a clearly better option because you can just count the vills second.
Do you mean with the bonus cards you receive from the pass as USA or as the age pass itself?
Earth DayanG
Musketeer

Post by DayanG »

However, I throw mine under the aspect of a unity Italy before its true unification. I start by saying that in my opinion it must be a versatile civilization with more strategic outlets. The passage of age, to be coherent with European design, must have the normal passage with the political. As infantry: crossbowman, pikeman, musketeer and bersagliere (skirmisher of 3 ages), as hussar and dragon cavalry (or carabiniere to make it cool and unique), as falconet artillery, colubrina, horse artillery, mortar and firecracker (instead of cannons heavy in factories and expeditions a less op version of the Italian mercenary cannon could be used. Sea as I said is not much to me but I would say that they should have a unique unit also for the navy. To make the civilization unique compared to the others I would say that a different mercenary mechanism could be added in the sense I invent a pact name with the pontiff: training of Swiss pikemen enabled in the saloon or in the barracks (usable in 4 ages at a cost of 1000 for example), Genoese archaic infantry: crossbowman Genoese crossbowman and increases the damage points and slightly the attack or range and more points damage to the pikeman but the units are slightly more expensive (usable in 2 ages at a cost of 400 or 500 wood), something closer to the period of Italian unification such as the Savoy Kingdom and therefore in case the Bersaglieri unlock or upgrade the skirmishers in Bersaglieri with higher damage points and in case faster movement speed (I'm saying random statistics just to give an idea, card usable in 3 ages at the cost of 500 wood and 300 denier always for example. Then the normal mercenary expeditions type in 3 ages 10 Jaeger or 9 black knights (for the Italo-Prussian alliance), French cuirassiers or French troops (for the aid / alliance against the Austrians in the wars of independence), in 4 ages helmets is Italian mercenary cannons (I don't remember the name). As vills the settlers and architect who builds quickly and through a new building produces money, trainable for up to 5 and does 5 damage. I specify that this is only how I see the design of this civilization that we honestly do not even know if it could come out in the future.
Denmark jonasnee
Crossbow

Post by jonasnee »

DayanG wrote:I always wonder if the developers read these threads or if they have someone in charge of doing it, otherwise we always discuss in vain
i know they read the official forums, they have even made comments about faction ideas they have seen.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Why don't we take this a step further and imagine what a world made by Italians would look like?
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

DayanG wrote:
Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:
Jets wrote: Please no more multi-cards age up.
I was more thinking along the lines of each age up option offering different kind of buffs.
Venezia : cheaper and faster training warships and cannons.
Papal states : increase xp trickle for church, can train cheaper Swiss pikes
Genova : buff to xbows and pikes, improved trading route.
Something light but that would make age up choice a real strategic decision rather than something where there is just a clearly better option because you can just count the vills second.
Do you mean with the bonus cards you receive from the pass as USA or as the age pass itself?
Could be either honestly as far as I'm concerned, but i doubt bonus card will receive much support here ;).
In a traditional european civ style it could look like :
Age 2 : The Cardinal : Church xp trickle+100%. age 2 Swiss pikes can be trained from church.
The Genovese merchant : grants 2 xbows+2 pikes. Trade route yields +10%.
And so on.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

I could think of the same politicians being available every age, but being from different countries.

Age 2
The Condottiero: enables unique unit Genoese Crossbow
The French Cardinal: ships 4 musketeers and an arsenal wagon
The Austrian Duke: each future shipment is accompanied with 2/3/4 Uhlans (auto-upgrade)
The Spanish Prince: church wagon + increased church xp trickle + additional build limit for churches
The Ottoman Engineer: ships two military wagons

Age 3:
The Condottiero: Carabinieri (dragoon unit) and musketeers attack 10% faster and heal automatically
The French Cardinal: ships 2 cuirassiers and a covered wagon
The Austrian Duke: ships a Pumhart von Steyr mortar
The Spanish Prince: church wagon + churches gain a gold trickle + additional build limit for churches
The Ottoman Engineer: buildings have +20% hp, villagers construct buildings 25% faster

and so on.

boy, the Spanish built lots of churches in Rome and squandered all their gold on renaissance art. Need to sell all these sexy indulgences - classic Spanish move. Taking the Spanish Prince age-up four times would make factories out of your 5 churches.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

duckzilla wrote:The Austrian Duke: ships a Pumhart von Steyr mortar
rof.jpg
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

harcha wrote:
rof.jpg
lol this is totally workable within aoe3 mechanics (just have a fixed gun that goes off for massive damage every 2-3 min), but it would make for the most annoying civ ever designed in aoe3 history, please dont give the devs any ideas
Denmark jonasnee
Crossbow

Post by jonasnee »

harcha wrote:
rof.jpg
for artillery of the day that wasn't really bad.

most cannons and guns etc in the game are a factor of 7-10 times faster firing than they would be real life. a good musketeer by like the fortress age could fire 3-4 times a minute depending on exact system.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

jonasnee wrote:
harcha wrote:
rof.jpg
for artillery of the day that wasn't really bad.

most cannons and guns etc in the game are a factor of 7-10 times faster firing than they would be real life. a good musketeer by like the fortress age could fire 3-4 times a minute depending on exact system.
Game goes from about 1500 to about 1850 in 25 min, so that's one year every 6 seconds of in game time. Those musks need six months to reload !
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

If the devs didn't went for making late period civs like USA and USM, having archaic civs would be more fun. Like having crossbow cavalry running around, sniping hussars/lancers, instead a double-barrel-caravin armed american revolutionarie on horse, or a subsaharian mercenarie armed with a gatling gun on a camel.
Knights and swords are something quite irrelevant now, it's even pointed in the campaign itself, when Sahin says that "You and your pathetic knights are relics from the past".
Brazil DNLgibraltar
Skirmisher

Post by DNLgibraltar »

hellhammer99 wrote:Italians were planned back in 2005 and some stuff can be found at the game files, and yes the gen crossbow could be their unique archer, odly enough, was given to the aoe 2 Italians as the UU.
They could get that city state system that was planned though (Genoa, Milan, Sicily, etc..)
But I think before Italians, other civs could get a bigger priority (Persians, Siamese, Polish).
I think most of the italians were absorbed by Port and Spanish mid development. I read somewhere they were meant to bea little "archaic"
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Why is it already 2022 and I still cannot torment my Italian villagers with ananas pizza?
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Earth DayanG
Musketeer

Post by DayanG »

duckzilla wrote: ↑
15 Jan 2022, 11:00
Why is it already 2022 and I still cannot torment my Italian villagers with ananas pizza?
The answer is simple