Help vs Otto FI

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
No Flag Abell2029_
Crossbow
ESO: Abell

Help vs Otto FI

Post by Abell2029_ »

Hello, First time here. I would like to get some advice on how to deal with Otto going FI. They just spam TCs and sit in base with forts and upgraded Towers meanwhile getting free villagers. I try to raid but most of the time i cant even find their villagers. I don't even know how they are getting resources with no hunts in base. Then they will just spam Great bombards and its pretty much over. Seems like every Otto guy i have played does the same thing. Also they will sometimes make Cav archers and just run my villagers around the map and it just buys them more time. What should i do in a situation like this? I mostly play France, Spain and Hauds. I am 1580 elo currently if that means anything. Thanks and i look forward to your comments.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Re: Help vs Otto FI

Post by chris1089 »

For Haud you can probably fi yourself and win with light cannon?
French I normally sit back, take map control and try to mass goon and culv if necessary. Just don't waste units under TCS, and use whatever military advantage you have to push him off resources where you can. Can stay age 3 and mass artillery (need mortar card to end game usually) or sometimes go age 4 yourself.

Spain I'd imagine you can do normal greedy FF stuff with some poking and booming.
France louis293
Musketeer
ESO: obelix293

Post by louis293 »

i have seen rohbrot on his stream raping otto turtle with a spain revolt with mortar unction and huss
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

You need a deck with Advanced Artillery in it. Fortress mortar destroy him easily. Petards may work too, but it's risky. For Haud you go FI light cannon and tomahawk.
3TC boom in fortress age isn't the solution. If Ottoman just do standard play, you may win with better eco and map control; but he can revolt. No way you can hold a revolt with 70+ minutemen and 5+ bombards with fortress age units.
No Flag caladbolg
Crossbow

Post by caladbolg »

A little skeptical about the artillery suggestions. Even if you kill 2 TCs with mortars or light cannons you've invested more than their 1000 wood, and they've probably already gotten ~10 villagers from them by the time you kill them off. Then you're left with an artillery focused army vs. the mercenary cav civ.

I think spamming ranged cav and idling the hell out of him can put you at enough of an advantage that you'll inevitably win. 20 goons trades pretty efficiently vs. 5 jans under TC fire.

OP can add me (DE name: Caladbolg) and try some things out... I'm also about 1600 elo right now.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

Well these Ottoman lamers will always have a stronghold and 3+ towers in his base. Goon raiding doesn't work.
Earth DayanG
Musketeer

Post by DayanG »

Wall him and see that then he will advance