Mexico 11/10 6:30 trade monopoly

United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Mexico 11/10 6:30 trade monopoly

Post by musketeer925 »

I haven't seen this one before.

Why make any vils when you can just trade monopoly at 6:30, for free, and then send a factory?
Attachments
[SP] GideonAI[MX] vs musketeer925[BR] - Siberia.age3yrec
(5.33 MiB) Downloaded 97 times
Siberia
Siberia
Rules: Supremacy (1v1)
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Re: Mexico 11/10 6:30 trade monopoly

Post by callentournies »

recently I was scolded in twitch chat for using the word "gimmicky" to describe some Mexico gameplay.

@gibson what do you call a 4:07 revolt time, a 5:30 factory, and 6:20 trade monopoly?
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Not gimmicky(or if it is, than every civ is gimmicky). Gotta get your game knowledge down.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

"Its not a gimmick when I am using it"
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

musketeer925 wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022, 00:14
Why make any vils when you can just trade monopoly at 6:30, for free, and then send a factory?
@devs
I gotta say this is really lame desing, literally an extreme all-in with a backup plan, harass until you win, even if you don't damage your opponent, just hold your ground until your monopoly win is done.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Jets wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022, 01:03
28 Mar 2022, 00:14
@Development Team
you are aware that this just tags the ESOC development team, which has nothing to do with DE balance or development, right?
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

gibson wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022, 00:55
Not gimmicky(or if it is, than every civ is gimmicky). Gotta get your game knowledge down.
brb learning the seventeen revolts and cards each one has for the civ I didn't buy
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

damn this strat fucking sucks ass
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

28 Mar 2022, 01:05
28 Mar 2022, 00:55
brb learning the seventeen revolts and cards each one has for the civ I didn't buy
Gotta get your game knowledge down. Not really the games fault if you don't learn it.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

An anonymous source just sent me an interesting rec to post here
Attachments
[SP] whinydragon[RU] vs alligat0r filled m0at[MX] - California.age3yrec
(5.93 MiB) Downloaded 69 times
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

28 Mar 2022, 01:33
An anonymous source just sent me an interesting rec to post here
Thanks for the rec.

I think the build is definitely map dependent, seems like it would be difficult to execute on a map with more TPs like this. It involved sending an extra shipment of 3 TP wagons, where in my game Mexico sends 600 coin and is able to mass up fairly well with just the factory and shipments fueling it. Further, defending four TPs, vs just being able to camp between/on the two near my base felt like it makes them a lot more difficult to tear down (and he only needs to hold two of them).

I think I made the mistake of trying to engage the revolt mass too soon, trying to whittle it down. I was thinking that after revolt he wouldn't have enough eco to remass, so I'd be able to clean it up fairly quickly and then siege. I didn't know there was a factory in play until the game ended.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

I think once you realize he has picked that revo you just go no vill and should be able to win.
Image Image Image
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

i wonder how the meta for this game would be by now if there were 100k tournies in the style of WCG, so no civ restrictions
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

Squamiger wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022, 03:52
i wonder how the meta for this game would be by now if there were 100k tournies in the style of WCG, so no civ restrictions
A lame fest

France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

callentournies wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022, 00:23
recently I was scolded in twitch chat for using the word "gimmicky" to describe some Mexico gameplay.

@gibson what do you call a 4:07 revolt time, a 5:30 factory, and 6:20 trade monopoly?
I think "ridiculous" is suitable here?
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

A good competitive meta. People would be forced to come out of their comfort zones and practice for wide variety of builds and strategies. People right now throw the word lame everytime they see a strat which is considered less optimal or out of their comfort zones.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

princeofcarthage wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022, 13:15
A good competitive meta. People would be forced to come out of their comfort zones and practice for wide variety of builds and strategies. People right now throw the word lame everytime they see a strat which is considered less optimal or out of their comfort zones.
That has nothing to do with confort zone or builds variety. Truth is some of the broken stuff at the moment happens to be the strongest as well.

Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

I'd say the most gimmicky stuff is actually not the strongest atm. Some civs are maybe too strong but for the purpose of a tourney that's not a problem.
The main issue to me is that there is so much new stuff that there are still undiscovered/unknown gimmicky strat like this one. And that's not exactly competitive. If the game settle down a bit and people atleast aknowledge all possiblle options then it could be ok.
Image Image Image
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

anyway we have a fort which can garrison military units and which can be invisible, nothing shocks me anymore
Image Image
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

i feel like the issue is not necessarily the gimmickiness of the content, its the fact that we keep getting new content, which doesnt let any fixed meta develop. no one has really explored or learned the perfect counters to all the new civs in extreme detail yet because you can't keep up
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

which is not necessarily a bad thing. The game is meant to be played spontaneously and in an ever evolving fashion as opposed to writing a exam where you come prepared with stuff and execute it systematically. Getting new content helps meta from becoming stale and pushes players towards playing with more presence of mind and strategy rather than just button smashing.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

The common misconception that you can't have interesting and innovative strats without gimmicky or broken features... If you watch aiz play any "standard" civ, he'll still be able to surprise and entertain you. You don't need age 2 revolts or a 5 min factory / trade monopoly, units garrisoning in buildings, ranged snare or whatever dumb shit to have interesting plays. In fact it's pretty much the opposite, anyone can abuse this kind of stuff, and it usually makes for boring games.

I'm gonna be a dick, but I think it's usually people who don't understand the game who think these strats are interesting. Because hey it's just new content after all, it's gotta be refreshing. They don't see how bland the gameplay often is with these strats. It's just like when someone spams walls and so many viewers love it because it's "different", when in fact there's just very little interaction between players and it just makes for boring, passive games.

Besides it just makes it way harder, if not impossible, to reach a state of decent balance, if we get so many gimmicky features.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Kaiserklein wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022, 11:38
callentournies wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2022, 00:23

I think "ridiculous" is suitable here?
It definitely breaks some of the rules the game had set before(although every civ does that to a certain extent), so that’s probably more accurate although it kind of implies it’s good, which it’s not.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

I have no idea how strong that build is, I was just talking about the design. Just like Inca could be trash and I'd still think the unit garrison mechanic is ridiculous
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

The thing is though every civ breaks rules the game has set. Skirms in age 2, 2tcs in age 2, free training vils etc. These are all ridiculous by the same definition just it’s stuff everyone is used to so no one cares.