Let’s try to get AoE3 to the redbull!

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Re: Let’s try to get AoE3 to the redbull!

Post by Kaiserklein »

LazarosVas wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:51
Kaiserklein wrote:
19 May 2022, 12:11
Well it's been a year and a half that aoe3 is just getting ruined. At the end of the day we basically only have amateur tourneys, no top players left, and ridiculously small viewership on twitch. Not sure why redbull would waste tens of thousands of bucks in this game.
Because it is such an awesome idea to spend 50K in a game made in 1997 with no playerbase (Dont come at me about the vietnam bs)
What bs? If some vietnamese channel can get 1-2 millions of views on an aoe1 youtube video, with such a huge tourney redbull can maybe reach 5 millions per video or something? And that alone is an income of money. Not to mention what they'll get from twitch. Or the redbull advertisement itself which will be viewed by all these people and is definitely the main reason why they organize this to begin with.
What's the best an aoe3 tourney video has ever reached? A couple hundreds of thousands if I'm optimistic? We're talking about at least 10 times less viewers here. No need to be a genius to understand it's not interesting for redbull.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Kaiserklein wrote:
19 May 2022, 22:09
LazarosVas wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:51
Kaiserklein wrote:
19 May 2022, 12:11
Well it's been a year and a half that aoe3 is just getting ruined. At the end of the day we basically only have amateur tourneys, no top players left, and ridiculously small viewership on twitch. Not sure why redbull would waste tens of thousands of bucks in this game.
Because it is such an awesome idea to spend 50K in a game made in 1997 with no playerbase (Dont come at me about the vietnam bs)
What bs? If some vietnamese channel can get 1-2 millions of views on an aoe1 youtube video, with such a huge tourney redbull can maybe reach 5 millions per video or something? And that alone is an income of money. Not to mention what they'll get from twitch. Or the redbull advertisement itself which will be viewed by all these people and is definitely the main reason why they organize this to begin with.
What's the best an aoe3 tourney video has ever reached? A couple hundreds of thousands if I'm optimistic? We're talking about at least 10 times less viewers here. No need to be a genius to understand it's not interesting for redbull.
We are talking about Redbull here! In many cases, they have no trouble burning money if they get at least some exposure in return. They decide to sponsor aoe1, aoe2 & aoe4.
It wouldn't have cost them too much to sponsor aoe3 too. It's part of the family, popular or not.

Redbull even goes so far as to buy up whole racks and shelves in stores just so their cans get to be seen, despite being way overpriced most of the time. They could have followed the same logic and procedure for aoe3.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

How is aoe1 a massive esport in Vietnam when according to esports earnings it had 3 events for 1k total dollars in 2021 and exactly 0 this year? Having one YouTube video with 1 million views means literally nothing, even aoe3 has a few, although they aren’t tournaments. Obviously these red bull videos aren’t gonna get 5 million views, or a million,most won’t even get close to 100k. According to steam charts the original aoe has like 600 players average. This doesn’t count people launching outside of steam obviously, which there are probably some, but still I highly doubt the player base is anywhere near the size of aoe3. Also the point of these tourneys for redbull has nothing to do with direct profit, but rather cementing themselves into an emerging market that many think is gonna get much bigger so they can better market themselves. They do not give a single shit about revenue dollars from twitch streams or YouTube, this is entirely about marketing. The only logical reason for them to include aoe and not aoe3 is if they specifically are trying to take a bigger market share in Vietnam, outside of that I don’t think there’s anything aoe has on aoe3. Realistically when they were making these decisions whoever they consulted probably just told them aoe3 blows and is small( probably someone with some sort of aoe2 background) and that’s why it wasn’t included.
Australia robo
ESOC Media Team
ESO: robo_boro
Clan: sQad

Post by robo »

gibson wrote:
19 May 2022, 22:44
How is aoe1 a massive esport in Vietnam when according to esports earnings it had 3 events for 1k total dollars in 2021 and exactly 0 this year?
Most of the Vietnamese events are not tracked outside of Vietnam, as no one seems to want to update/provide those records. It is an ongoing problem for Liquipedia as well, as we ould like to track these tournaments, but struggle to find any information that is English & accessible, or any community members who can translate and provide info.
gibson wrote:
Having one YouTube video with 1 million views means literally nothing, even aoe3 has a few, although they aren’t tournaments. Obviously these red bull videos aren’t gonna get 5 million views, or a million,most won’t even get close to 100k. According to steam charts the original aoe has like 600 players average. This doesn’t count people launching outside of steam obviously, which there are probably some, but still I highly doubt the player base is anywhere near the size of aoe3. Also the point of these tourneys for redbull has nothing to do with direct profit, but rather cementing themselves into an emerging market that many think is gonna get much bigger so they can better market themselves. They do not give a single shit about revenue dollars from twitch streams or YouTube, this is entirely about marketing. The only logical reason for them to include aoe and not aoe3 is if they specifically are trying to take a bigger market share in Vietnam, outside of that I don’t think there’s anything aoe has on aoe3. Realistically when they were making these decisions whoever they consulted probably just told them aoe3 blows and is small( probably someone with some sort of aoe2 background) and that’s why it wasn’t included.
The vast majority of players play on the original CD version using local platforms similar to GameRanger and Voobly, but Vietnamese specific, and there are far more of them than there are players of AoE2+3+4.
They also get large viewerships on their live streams on Facebook & YouTube.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

For comparison, the best AoE2 player--Viper--only had 190,000 followers on Twitch while he was still streaming on that platform.

Meanwhile, Chim Se (arguably the best AoE1 player of all time) has 1,300,000 followers on Facebook Gaming. I think he gets close to 100k viewers on his streams sometimes.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

my highschool grocery store job boss said redbull is a gateway drug.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

aaryngend wrote:
19 May 2022, 22:26
We are talking about Redbull here! In many cases, they have no trouble burning money if they get at least some exposure in return. They decide to sponsor aoe1, aoe2 & aoe4.
It wouldn't have cost them too much to sponsor aoe3 too. It's part of the family, popular or not.

Redbull even goes so far as to buy up whole racks and shelves in stores just so their cans get to be seen, despite being way overpriced most of the time. They could have followed the same logic and procedure for aoe3.
Yeah, we're talking about Redbull. They probably know what they're doing
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

gibson wrote:
Obviously these red bull videos aren’t gonna get 5 million views, or a million,most won’t even get close to 100k.
If the best aoe1 player can get 100k viewers simultaneously on twitch (tbf I didn't know that either), I think getting several millions of views on vods would be pretty easy.

gibson wrote:
Also the point of these tourneys for redbull has nothing to do with direct profit, but rather cementing themselves into an emerging market that many think is gonna get much bigger so they can better market themselves. They do not give a single shit about revenue dollars from twitch streams or YouTube, this is entirely about marketing.
I think growing their youtube / twitch channel is part of their plan to gain exposure. The revenue is just a bonus

gibson wrote:
Realistically when they were making these decisions whoever they consulted probably just told them aoe3 blows and is small( probably someone with some sort of aoe2 background) and that’s why it wasn’t included.
Maybe they just realized the biggest aoe3 streams get 200 viewers on twitch at best, and that the competitive scene is dead
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I think that Red Bull did no market research at all and will host an aoe3 event if we ask them nicely.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Im genuinely confused why AOE1 is so popular in vietnam and not AOE2 seeing as they came out pretty quickly after one another and run on the same specs.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Also the quality of this cast that has 500k views is astonishing.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Yea that Facebook guy has 9k viewers, which is more than double aoe2+4 on twitch. Makes sense I guess for them to get stuff.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

I don't believe all of them to be legitimate human fans. A good deal has to be due to viewbotting.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

Riotcoke wrote:
20 May 2022, 12:35
Im genuinely confused why AOE1 is so popular in vietnam and not AOE2 seeing as they came out pretty quickly after one another and run on the same specs.
I think on some level its the same with Korea and SC1, something about that ridiculous near insane click fest micro ( no rally point, manual farm reseed and even has a micro trick to get more food) that gathers attention
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Riotcoke wrote:
20 May 2022, 12:40
Yeah that is strange even for 2016... Maybe they invited some top player with bad microphone to cast, like it was with Blackstar in AOE 3.
Australia PatrickLFC
Musketeer

Post by PatrickLFC »

LazarosVas wrote:
20 May 2022, 13:42
These guys are simply retards to still be playing aoe 1 in 2022 and even have fans at that.
I mean we are playing Aoe3 in 2022, can't really throw stones
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Making fun of people because of what they enjoy is the sign of a weak minded individual( unless it’s treaty)
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Riotcoke wrote:
20 May 2022, 12:35
From what I understand, computer shops basically pirated AoE1 and put it on every single computer they sold. So pretty much everyone in the country who owned a computer had access to AoE1, but not AoE2. So the majority of computer-savvy people grew up playing AoE1.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

should try to do that for aoe3 tbh
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Squamiger wrote:
20 May 2022, 16:44
should try to do that for aoe3 tbh
That's probably a great way to revive an old game actually. Make it available for free on every PC. Then sell DLCs...
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Colombia hellhammer99
Crossbow
ESO: hellhammer99

Post by hellhammer99 »

Riotcoke wrote:

Can't wait to watch Assyrian-Shang Wars, with only Chariots... :dry:
The balance of the 1.0 ver is horrible.
Brazil DNLgibraltar
Skirmisher

Post by DNLgibraltar »

Aoe3 could have been the opening matches at least.

Smh
Uzbekistan Timurid
Skirmisher
ESO: Trained Spahi

Post by Timurid »

Riotcoke wrote:

utter rubbish!
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Riotcoke wrote:

They live in a lo-fi world, so a lo-fi production doesn't look lo-fi
Canada SongOfStorm
Crossbow

Post by SongOfStorm »

Masmorra's interview with Will McCahill came out. Mostly focused on Aoe 2 and 4, but there's a section near the end where he asks why AoE 3 isn't in Red Bull.
The link is to the timestamp for AoE 3, it's about 2-4 minutes long. I'll let Will talk for himself.

The full interview itself is interesting, talks about Worlds Edge, the Vietnam community for AoE:RoR, the Definitive Editions and more. So worth a listen for sure!