What I learned from climbing in team games

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

What I learned from climbing in team games

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

1. Everyone has their own strategy, and is hard to budge. You can either roll with it, do your own, or play with premades
2. People tend to be super toxic and prone to tilt. I don't understand why, but I had people ragequitting after I took their small treasure.
3. Premades are either garbage or godlike. No middle
4. It's more fun to play with premades, especially with voice. Nowadays I only play with premades, NGL
5. At some point you realize many players have their own style of play, and can counter it effectively. Some love the late game, some almost always rush, etc. You can use that to your advantage!
6. Same with civs. Players tend to shoehorn themselves into a singular playstyle with some civs, especially if they play Portugal.
7. When premading, it helps to either focus on one gameplay style, or having an all rounder to cover all situations. One is good at rushing, one is late game, one is good with anything
8. If it's COSA premades on the enemy team, just don't bother. Smurf account abusers and cheaters who always play the same thing. It's more fun to run your teeth against a chalkboard than deal with the same type of rush every single bloody time.
9. Have multiple civs to play, to enjoy the game more. Doing the same strat robotically over and over gets dull rather quickly.
10. Try to have fun. If you aren't, take a break.
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon

Re: What I learned from climbing in team games

A few things that I wanted to share from my climb to top 500, and at one point even top 400 in team!
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

Thanks for your post!

You can counter some players by knowing their playstyle. Did it happen vice versa? Did players counter you by knowing your playstyle?
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon

MCJim wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:10
Thanks for your post!

You can counter some players by knowing their playstyle. Did it happen vice versa? Did players counter you by knowing your playstyle?
While I can't remember any specific cases, I did notice players relying on Musketeers A LOT when facing me as I played Lakota in team games, which in my case was almost always a hyper-aggresive raiding/rushing playstyle. I'm talking 2 players in a 3v3 going Musketeer only. Sure was fun when I sent the card to swap my Axe Riders for Rifle Riders and won on the spot :mrgreen:
France ophisouroboros
Crossbow
ESO: [Cosa] Ophis_Ourobo

Post by ophisouroboros »

ShinkuroYukinari wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 15:04
8. If it's COSA premades on the enemy team, just don't bother. Smurf account abusers and cheaters who always play the same thing. It's more fun to run your teeth against a chalkboard than deal with the same type of rush every single bloody time.
Good afternoon dear Shinkuro Yukinari San. I am an admin of the COSA Clan since his creation and I'm sad to discover the way you think about us. The first of all none of our member ever cheated, we know each other and we spectate other game very often so I never see one of our members cheated, BUT if a day you come to me with a proof of one COSA member cheating I can assure you that I will personally kick him from our clan. Cheating is a disgusting way to play and destroy the game and the ladder.

About the Smurf since it appears that many people used them, we don't block our member to make a use of any surf account they would use. The fact that actually none of our member in my knowledge used one should be told. They could, but they never used one ^^ (You can't tell an account is a Smurf one when this account had more than 1 000 games played).

And finally our COSA clan is separate into two kinds of people half rusher and half boomer. If you don't like rusher part i'm feel sorry for you but its a part a evry RTS so can't do anything for that.
United States of America Vladimatt
Crossbow
ESO: FourthMusketeer

Post by Vladimatt »

I've said it before that I think the original ES devs balanced this game around 3v3 rather than 1v1, it's where you see the more diverse strategies and build orders emerge, you can pull off some interesting stuff that you can't do in 1v1. thanks for sharing!
ImageImageImage
European Union TranceGate
Musketeer

Post by TranceGate »

Vladimatt wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 18:25
I've said it before that I think the original ES devs balanced this game around 3v3 rather than 1v1, it's where you see the more diverse strategies and build orders emerge, you can pull off some interesting stuff that you can't do in 1v1. thanks for sharing!
I wish it were balanced for the teams, I see it more balanced in 1v1 than in teams where the more you go forward in time the more the civilizations you have taken are worth and the less the skills.
No Flag FellFresse
Crossbow

Post by FellFresse »

Vladimatt wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 18:25
Nilla was designed pretty sick. It had some balance issues but it was intended to quality RTS gameplay. It was about pace and skill, being able to secure map control and forcing fights from early on. Later on too many house civs came with clueless playstyle sitting in base and still getting more ressources.