Current civ tier list

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
User avatar
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
Posts: 544
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by kevinitalien »

rukisrecord wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 09:02
basically, this game’s civ that can make multiple tcs is so op
all civs can make multiple tcs
Image
Image
Image Image
Great Britain Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
Posts: 7945
Joined: May 4, 2015
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by Hazza54321 »

wooosh
User avatar
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
Posts: 335
Joined: Nov 19, 2019
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by Jets »

Brits doesn't need a tc to make vills, op civ?
User avatar
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon
Posts: 303
Joined: Jan 24, 2021
ESO: EliteRifleman
Clan: SpNz

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by EliteRifleman »

Hey guys, i update the tier list with malta and italy!

Example

Image

https://tiermaker.com/create/age-of-emp ... lc-1132134
Image
Image
User avatar
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
Posts: 9435
Joined: Feb 11, 2015
ESO: Garja

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by Garja »

isnt malta considered superior to italy atm?
Image Image Image
User avatar
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon
Posts: 303
Joined: Jan 24, 2021
ESO: EliteRifleman
Clan: SpNz

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by EliteRifleman »

Garja wrote:
18 May 2022, 23:59
isnt malta considered superior to italy atm?
It's just an example, I have no idea how to make a tier list atm xD
Image
Image
User avatar
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
Posts: 9435
Joined: Feb 11, 2015
ESO: Garja

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by Garja »

oh nvm didnt get the point of the post. Everything looked random, that's why :uglylol:
Image Image Image
User avatar
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
Posts: 8162
Joined: Feb 26, 2015
ESO: [VOC] Bram
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Garja wrote:
18 May 2022, 23:59
isnt malta considered superior to italy atm?
Malta is very weak right now.
User avatar
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
Posts: 13449
Joined: May 4, 2015
Location: USA

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by gibson »

Italy definitely beats malta 1v1, malta feels not that great overall although I don't think many games have been played that arent mirrors or vs Italy. No skirms and meh eco.
User avatar
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
Posts: 335
Joined: Nov 19, 2019
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by Jets »

EliteRifleman wrote:
18 May 2022, 23:56
Hey guys, i update the tier list with malta and italy!

Example

Image

https://tiermaker.com/create/age-of-emp ... lc-1132134
I'm pretty sure sweden and spain should switch places, going caro+leather cannons counters the spanish ff easily, 5leather>2falcs, after that, it's just a matter of unit mass, which is always swe favored.
User avatar
Great Britain chris1089
ESOC Community Team
Posts: 2642
Joined: Feb 11, 2017
ESO: chris1089

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by chris1089 »

Jets wrote:
19 May 2022, 22:59
EliteRifleman wrote:
18 May 2022, 23:56
Hey guys, i update the tier list with malta and italy!

Example

Image

https://tiermaker.com/create/age-of-emp ... lc-1132134
I'm pretty sure sweden and spain should switch places, going caro+leather cannons counters the spanish ff easily, 5leather>2falcs, after that, it's just a matter of unit mass, which is always swe favored.
You've got the wrong end of the stick there.
Firstly, it's a tier list - so a specific matchup between two civs doesn't mean they should change place. Secondly, he's just put that in as a sample, it's already stated above that that wasn't supposed to be accurate.
User avatar
Germany Kartoffel Joe
Dragoon
Posts: 258
Joined: Feb 19, 2021
ESO: Kartoffel Joe

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by Kartoffel Joe »

EliteRifleman wrote:
19 May 2022, 01:11
Garja wrote:
18 May 2022, 23:59
isnt malta considered superior to italy atm?
It's just an example, I have no idea how to make a tier list atm xD
@Jets
User avatar
Canada hayasaka
Crossbow
Posts: 16
Joined: Jul 19, 2016
ESO: Hayasaka

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by hayasaka »

What pros think about sweden?

was trying to learn them but for me its quite difficult to improve their economy :D
whats the main build rn?
keep watching the sky :smile:
User avatar
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
Posts: 335
Joined: Nov 19, 2019
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by Jets »

Kartoffel Joe wrote:
20 May 2022, 09:47
@Jets
my-image (1).png
my-image (1).png (477.54 KiB) Viewed 703 times
hayasaka wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 08:33
What pros think about sweden?

was trying to learn them but for me its quite difficult to improve their economy :D
whats the main build rn?
Not a pro, but 1600-1700 player, from my experience vs them, going leather+caro semi ff into upgrading the leather cannons it's more than effective to counter any falc FF with euro civs. Other than that, you can't think of sweden as an overflowing eco civ, since their bonus is quite map reliant, you can play the counter game tho, with leather being a cheap and fast artillery, and hakkapellit countering anything that has rr, caroleans are just the vanilla unit for them, don't spam them, you have other unique units, also caroleans are not the most efficient unit, just the support unit(if you think about it, all musks are just there to do general dmg) to your speciallized units. Play the counter game, idk the main build, but you can read most civ strats with just checking their deck.

Edit: Hausa a tier lower maybe, I could say lowest A tier if you know how to profit from their unique units and tp control.
User avatar
Germany Kartoffel Joe
Dragoon
Posts: 258
Joined: Feb 19, 2021
ESO: Kartoffel Joe

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by Kartoffel Joe »

:hmm:
Attachments
my-image.png
my-image.png (481.94 KiB) Viewed 637 times
User avatar
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
Posts: 335
Joined: Nov 19, 2019
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by Jets »

how is usa A tier? their are literally weak to any cav and early pressure, they have an FF weaker than spain and can only boom with 4 TCs, other than that they are trash on most maps. I've seen widgie's video too, is there anything sleepy about usa nowadays? the outlaws?
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher
Posts: 163
Joined: Aug 31, 2017
ESO: DrAzTiK
Location: France

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by draztik »

Spain also cannot be considered S or A as many people do because :
- spain still can't rush age 2 or even play age 2 decently. (logisitician has been destroy and the last recent patch is useless)
- spain is very weak against age 2 rush and musketers oriented civs
- spain can't boom seriously ( spanish gold nerfed)
- spain need some map control
- spain is sensitive to raids
- the standard way to play spain need a ton of micro/macro/ special ajustements in comparaison to other civs .(that is why I never play spain in a standard way and that is why only a few players play spain even at top level)
- spain si quite predictable. (similar to russians)
- spain units scale very bad .
- spain do not have even a single amazing/strong/polyvalent unit
- in team, spain is bad
User avatar
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
Posts: 9435
Joined: Feb 11, 2015
ESO: Garja

Re: Current civ tier list

  • Quote

Post by Garja »

Tbf half of those are moot points or simply false.
Spain isn't a rush civ but can rush about as good as french or germans if needed.
I'd say it's less weak than French against rushes because of tower, dogs and higher shipment rate (French has cdbs to defend rushes and that's pretty much it).
Spain units do not scale bad on DE because they all pretty much have card upgrades. Dragoons and skirms are now cardable. Lancers are still very cardable. Xbows are cardable and have a guard upgrade too. Unction is nerfed but it's still good in lategame.
Spain only very strong unit is the lancer and yes, it's not polyvalent. However they do have all unit types and even an extra one (rods) which is quite useful in skirm/goon wars. Also having lancers is definetely better than being Dutch or Ports and only have hussars.

That said, I think Spain is A tier pretty much on the level of Fre, Germans and the similars. Definetely a bit harder to play than those civs.
Image Image Image
France ophisouroboros
Crossbow
Posts: 4
Joined: Mar 12, 2022
ESO: [Cosa] Ophis_Ourobo

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by ophisouroboros »

My tier list would probably be like that considering how 3v3 ranked game is played actually.

Only for 3v3 games of course

S tier = OP civilisation Dutch have one of the best eco of the game, very nice skirm in age 2 can rush or boom pretty effectively and have a good cav. Lakota dude are fucking good as always and with the last update have a pretty fine eco. italian dude have strong unit and the possibility to make a strong boom

A tier = civilisation can rush or boom pretty fine

B tier = japaneese should be in A tier but since its really easy to rush it and hardest to defend without good teamate i prefer place it in B tier the other can be as good as the A or S tier with good teamate but can be hard to play

D tier = well until now this civ have only one good point is the possibility to rush pretty hard in a one ALL-in but after that you will be erased of the earth.
Attachments
my-image.png
my-image.png (475.76 KiB) Viewed 459 times
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher
Posts: 163
Joined: Aug 31, 2017
ESO: DrAzTiK
Location: France

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by draztik »

Garja wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 17:44
Tbf half of those are moot points or simply false.
Spain isn't a rush civ but can rush about as good as french or germans if needed.
I'd say it's less weak than French against rushes because of tower, dogs and higher shipment rate (French has cdbs to defend rushes and that's pretty much it).
Spain units do not scale bad on DE because they all pretty much have card upgrades. Dragoons and skirms are now cardable. Lancers are still very cardable. Xbows are cardable and have a guard upgrade too. Unction is nerfed but it's still good in lategame.
Spain only very strong unit is the lancer and yes, it's not polyvalent. However they do have all unit types and even an extra one (rods) which is quite useful in skirm/goon wars. Also having lancers is definetely better than being Dutch or Ports and only have hussars.

That said, I think Spain is A tier pretty much on the level of Fre, Germans and the similars. Definetely a bit harder to play than those civs.


You have to play spain a bit. Try to rush age 2 with spain and you will see that it is nothing comparable with age 2 french or german. (witch don't have amazing age 2 rush also)

dogs and tower are not a miracle defense at all , especially against musketers oriented civs.

Card military upgrade are almost useless on units witch are not polyvalent, at least in 1vs1. And spain units are really not polyvalent at all. Rodos and lancers are only good for one thing each.
problem is also that lancers and rodo are melee units and the game reward more the ranged fight (coz of pathinding and lag)

also I forget to mention that spain is also very bad on no tp map and thanks God , it looks they have remove these no tp maps on quick searsh. And I remember you used to be a commited defender of no tp maps. lol, no better way to kill spain.

Because of you and some other, now we have a useless logistician (witch used to be nice to boom on water) and now poor booming options on land. (spanish gold cannot compete with britt manor boom, dutch banks etc..)
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
Posts: 1048
Joined: May 6, 2021
ESO: esuck

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by callentournies »

this reminds me when every player was asked to rank all the civs in team for the royal 2v2 tournament and I just used a random number generator because I have no idea and everything I've ever typed is monkeys
off topic is dead
User avatar
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
Posts: 9435
Joined: Feb 11, 2015
ESO: Garja

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by Garja »

draztik wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 18:40
Garja wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 17:44
Tbf half of those are moot points or simply false.
Spain isn't a rush civ but can rush about as good as french or germans if needed.
I'd say it's less weak than French against rushes because of tower, dogs and higher shipment rate (French has cdbs to defend rushes and that's pretty much it).
Spain units do not scale bad on DE because they all pretty much have card upgrades. Dragoons and skirms are now cardable. Lancers are still very cardable. Xbows are cardable and have a guard upgrade too. Unction is nerfed but it's still good in lategame.
Spain only very strong unit is the lancer and yes, it's not polyvalent. However they do have all unit types and even an extra one (rods) which is quite useful in skirm/goon wars. Also having lancers is definetely better than being Dutch or Ports and only have hussars.

That said, I think Spain is A tier pretty much on the level of Fre, Germans and the similars. Definetely a bit harder to play than those civs.


You have to play spain a bit. Try to rush age 2 with spain and you will see that it is nothing comparable with age 2 french or german. (witch don't have amazing age 2 rush also)

dogs and tower are not a miracle defense at all , especially against musketers oriented civs.

Card military upgrade are almost useless on units witch are not polyvalent, at least in 1vs1. And spain units are really not polyvalent at all. Rodos and lancers are only good for one thing each.
problem is also that lancers and rodo are melee units and the game reward more the ranged fight (coz of pathinding and lag)

also I forget to mention that spain is also very bad on no tp map and thanks God , it looks they have remove these no tp maps on quick searsh. And I remember you used to be a commited defender of no tp maps. lol, no better way to kill spain.

Because of you and some other, now we have a useless logistician (witch used to be nice to boom on water) and now poor booming options on land. (spanish gold cannot compete with britt manor boom, dutch banks etc..)
Spain is probably my most played euro civ across all expansion and patches, so trust me.
I used to play age2 vs Germans with Spain and it's not bad at all. Even vs French you can start musks with a foward base and semi FF without the fast age because the time window isn't exactly exploitable. Vs musk civs in general you are totally fine just FFing. Musk harassment vs FF is extremely unefficient (both TC fire and mm get max value against euro musks and the complementing unit - huss - is hard countered by basically every Spain shipment).
With all EP and DE buffs it's also easier to defend Aztec rush as Spain in age2 than French and Germans. Again because of dogs, tower and rod shipments (rods are fairly effective to toss in vs Aztec age2).
On DE, Spanish card military upgrades are useful. Cav combat affect goons and the archaic infantry cards affect xbows. For skirms you have unction later on or simply lancer switch (4 unit combo is a more practical approach against skirm/goon civs than relying on unction imo).
No TP maps are a non argument, it's the same for all euro civs, plus basically it's not even a thing anymore with the new maps.
I never gave a shit about logistician btw. I always thought it was overrated so I never used it. I can do those exact same strats with just age2 crate cards.
I do think Spanish gold has been unecessarily nerfed. But at 300(?) coin it's still viable I think. Spanish gold was never able to compete with booming civs. It was just a way to give Spain a 1k c shipment and slightly buff their midgame eco. You still rely on other shipments but with Spanish gold don't have to always be aggressive.
Image Image Image
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher
Posts: 163
Joined: Aug 31, 2017
ESO: DrAzTiK
Location: France

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by draztik »

on no tp maps, spain has far less benefit starting with market in comparaison to most euros civs coz with spain you have less vills than french/germans/ports/britts/russians. (same for ottos) It goes without. Especially on no tp maps, you cannot send 5 vills (enven on tp maps, you cannot always do it)

Others things you say may be true in 2015 but is quite outdated considering the current way of playing. (aka strong semii FF with insane eco behind or 30 jans in base at 6:30 etc.. )
User avatar
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
Posts: 9435
Joined: Feb 11, 2015
ESO: Garja

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by Garja »

Actually it is rather the opposite. No TP hurts more French and Germans than Spain. Other civs don't usually build a TP so the argument is pointless. And to be fair, it is a pointless discussion anyway since there are very few non TP maps, and nat TPs give an xp trickle anyway, as well as the church.
You can pretty much always send 5v btw. I don't know what you mean with that.
Also I don't understand if the semi FF and the 30 jans in base at 6.30 is new or old stuff to you, because to me it's very old stuff, especially the jan rush.
Image Image Image
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
Posts: 1048
Joined: May 6, 2021
ESO: esuck

Re: Current civ tier list

  • Quote

Post by callentournies »

I think the prevailing takeaway from shifting meta over past 6 years is that xp is good. really, really good.
off topic is dead

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Which top 10 players do you wish to see listed?

All-time

Active last two weeks

Active last month

Supremacy

Treaty

Official

ESOC Patch

Treaty Patch

1v1 Elo

2v2 Elo

3v3 Elo

Power Rating

Which streams do you wish to see listed?

Twitch

Age of Empires III

Age of Empires IV