August Update – Build # 100.13.16662.0

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Re: August Update – Build # 100.13.16662.0

Post by callentournies »

Preface: sea bypasses aoe3’s entire dynamic balance/good gameplay mechanism which is natural res are good and farming is bad. So since walls which normally you don’t secure any map for yum natural res, you actually do on the water, get them faster, and then half of it is infinite, so walls break game design.

Apart from positioning/pathing and small fb walls (kaiserklein Russia) full walls are only a problem because aoe3 late game isn’t balanced.* you don’t want games to be decided in the civ selection micro.

*EXCEPT even so full walling is still mostly bad. mostly the most problematic aspect is it forces the game into late game no matter what (optimal play being to boom with map too) and players don’t want to be forced into late game, it’s boring. And then walls are actually NECESSARY late game so it becomes even MORE BORING, so they make mistakes.

Increase the cost of mills and shit across the board and delete schooners. Keep schooners and make whales finite.

So we’re back to the most reasonable case of are small walls at fb and etc. a problem and if so, what to do, and to me, it’s probably take another 500 hp off palisades. If the other blayer has a force that’s that much more sizable they should be able to brute force it down without losing so much. Only if they have more, decently more. Very precise line I’ve drawn. I don’t like nerfing build speed because quick walling is good for the game.

With bastion I like skirmy wirmies idea which is to give mortars/artillery a bonus vs walls specifically or something @Skirmisher what is it
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

This is imo better done in aoe2. Cheap and fragile palisades, finite water res and fish traps to avoid fishing boats from becoming entirely useless. I have no idea how devs came up with the idea to make whales infinite resources. It's far from a straight forward decision.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

callentournies wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 03:06
Preface: sea bypasses aoe3’s entire dynamic balance/good gameplay mechanism which is natural res are good and farming is bad. So since walls which normally you don’t secure any map for yum natural res, you actually do on the water, get them faster, and then half of it is infinite, so walls break game design.

Apart from positioning/pathing and small fb walls (kaiserklein Russia) full walls are only a problem because aoe3 late game isn’t balanced.* you don’t want games to be decided in the civ selection micro.

*EXCEPT even so full walling is still mostly bad. mostly the most problematic aspect is it forces the game into late game no matter what (optimal play being to boom with map too) and players don’t want to be forced into late game, it’s boring. And then walls are actually NECESSARY late game so it becomes even MORE BORING, so they make mistakes.

Increase the cost of mills and shit across the board and delete schooners. Keep schooners and make whales finite.

So we’re back to the most reasonable case of are small walls at fb and etc. a problem and if so, what to do, and to me, it’s probably take another 500 hp off palisades. If the other blayer has a force that’s that much more sizable they should be able to brute force it down without losing so much. Only if they have more, decently more. Very precise line I’ve drawn. I don’t like nerfing build speed because quick walling is good for the game.

With bastion I like skirmy wirmies idea which is to give mortars/artillery a bonus vs walls specifically or something @Skirmisher what is it
It's pretty well known issue. Finite whales makes sense and I'm surprised it didn't have a shot as a change in 15yr of game. More expensive mills is a delicate change because it risks to further kill the game before mill transition (ideally you want civs to balle on natural res and then also continue on mills/plants). A way to change mills would be to make it more similar to African civs (and aoe2 in general) with each mill workable by only 5 vills and cost halved. This essentially means that the macro is slightly more intensive, the income per mill is less, the switch can be more gradual and that players need more room to fit in their eco, which ultimately is more exposed.
Image Image Image
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

Garja wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 13:40
callentournies wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 03:06

It's pretty well known issue. Finite whales makes sense and I'm surprised it didn't have a shot as a change in 15yr of game. More expensive mills is a delicate change because it risks to further kill the game before mill transition (ideally you want civs to balle on natural res and then also continue on mills/plants). A way to change mills would be to make it more similar to African civs (and aoe2 in general) with each mill workable by only 5 vills and cost halved. This essentially means that the macro is slightly more intensive, the income per mill is less, the switch can be more gradual and that players need more room to fit in their eco, which ultimately is more exposed.
I can already hear the treaty players screaming cause they have to build double the mills.
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
Earth DayanG
Musketeer

Post by DayanG »

duckzilla wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 06:00
This is imo better done in aoe2. Cheap and fragile palisades, finite water res and fish traps to avoid fishing boats from becoming entirely useless. I have no idea how devs came up with the idea to make whales infinite resources. It's far from a straight forward decision.
You have to fight on the sea until the last second 🙂
Mexico District_10
Crossbow

Post by District_10 »

gibson wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 00:30
Garja wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 21:01
Stealth ability: All units (but not buildings) will reveal a stealthed enemy if the enemy is within 2 range of it
Eh. What's the point of stealth melee units then. Come on this is just stupid.
Because stealth is moronic and shouldn't be in the game to begin with
Well, this is an old Mechanic of game, so why change it?
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon
ESO: EliteRifleman
Clan: SpNz

Post by EliteRifleman »

August Update – Build # 100.13.17302.0
Fixed Lenape Warrior name not updating when researching Legendary Native Warriors
Fixed incorrect string claiming TEAM 2 priestess card sends 3 Priestess
[Maps] Updated the amount of wood that Lakota gets for nomad spawns
Cost of blockhouse wagon from Russian consulate changed to 250 export as intended
Age 2 "3 healers" card now increased to 4 healers for Lakota and Haudenesaunee

The nerf to tea export is reverted.
Howdah

Post by callentournies »

why when I hover over saloon it doesn't say crabats are in there, then my opponent builds only crabats from the saloon????????????????????????
If I were a petal
Display. Fetch
Things scream.
United States of America minimoult21
Dragoon
ESO: minimoult21

Post by minimoult21 »

I think USA doesn't benefit from outlaws. They always get their 3 regardless of the map

Edit: you can go to the map preview though in the game menu and it will tell you the outlaws for the map.
minimoult21 represents a relative unknown.
Howdah

Post by callentournies »

the craziest thing about crabgots is not that devs put a unit in the game which is OP but that they put a unit in the game self described as "performs well against all units"

at that point the thinking is out the window, splattered, and evaporated into the atmosphere
If I were a petal
Display. Fetch
Things scream.
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: I Date My Cousin

Post by kaister »

"Crabats are outlaws that perform the role of improved Dragoons. They have more hit points, ranged resistance, slightly higher melee attack, and deal almost twice the ranged attack of Dragoons, but their range is lower, and they lack ranged attack multipliers against cavalry and Shock Infantry. Instead, Crabats have higher melee multipliers against these units, but in exchange, they lack multipliers against artillery in melee and ranged combat."

Glad to see we have age 2 units to fill the improved dragoon role, instead of being required to go age 3 to make units which fill the dragoon role
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

callentournies wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 23:58
the craziest thing about crabgots is not that devs put a unit in the game which is OP but that they put a unit in the game self described as "performs well against all units"

at that point the thinking is out the window, splattered, and evaporated into the atmosphere
i think they tried to make a goon-musket hybrid which, unsurprisingly, is basically a 2 pop ashi on steroids
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Tbf looking at the stats crabats are not that exciting. The promotions is what maybe makes it a problematic unit.
Image Image Image
Howdah

Post by callentournies »

Garja wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 01:46
Tbf looking at the stats crabats are not that exciting. The promotions is what maybe makes it a problematic unit.
Promotions are stats
If I were a petal
Display. Fetch
Things scream.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

MOBA abilities give stats
mad cuz bad
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon
ESO: EliteRifleman
Clan: SpNz

Post by EliteRifleman »

August Update – Build # 100.13.17792.0
Fixed an issue where Tengri natives weren't functional on Large Manchuria
Fixed HC sounds being stopped when exiting deck builder on return to HC screen
Fixed Canadian Loyalists card not displaying its cost after being sent once
Earth DayanG
Musketeer

Post by DayanG »

Is a change in deck management planned (in the distant and distant future)? Example possible to rename a deck or change the arrangement of the decks using two arrows to make the decks go up or down? It sounds silly but for those who play both team and 1v1 and have for example 6 team decks and 12 1v1 decks in a precise order and need to create more decks it is a bit frustrating to copy the decks every time to scale the arrangement of the team decks and 1v1. Also when will it be possible to add matches played in the ladders? I mean what the esoc ladders were like, civilization used, match time, players, various match stats etc.
No Flag Ev0lution
Crossbow

Post by Ev0lution »

Glad to see they're still touching up the Royal Houses, I think they're mostly in a good state. Some random thoughts on Oldenburg:
as long as they're making some of the techs cheaper, can Hunting Expedition receive a discount? I know this was thought to be too strong in the KotM beta, so it was increased from 175f 175w to 300f 300w, but that seems too expensive for a tech that has barely a bigger impact than Placer Mines. Decreasing the price to 250f 250w or 225f 225w would be nice. I also think it would be fun to have it give double the effect to Royal Huntsmen, as extra incentive to pick them up.
Speaking of Royal Huntsmen, it's weird to me they gather at the same rate as a normal vil. Yeah, their combat stats are slightly better, but they have the same hp and much more limited features (iirc just hunts, berries, and treasures. no buildings, crates, or other res). I also know this was in the Beta but since reverted, but I still think it should be slightly faster. Maybe 1.1x the base rate of a normal vil, equivalent to a Pilgrim.
Also, when you upgrade your Huntsmen to Hunters (can't gather but get stronger in combat) they still train individually even tho they're no longer vils. Not Batch Training severely limits their potential to mass which is a big discouragement to use them.
I think these changes would make Oldenburg more enjoyable and rewarding to use.
Brazil DNLgibraltar
Skirmisher

Post by DNLgibraltar »

DayanG wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 13:41
Is a change in deck management planned (in the distant and distant future)? Example possible to rename a deck or change the arrangement of the decks using two arrows to make the decks go up or down? It sounds silly but for those who play both team and 1v1 and have for example 6 team decks and 12 1v1 decks in a precise order and need to create more decks it is a bit frustrating to copy the decks every time to scale the arrangement of the team decks and 1v1. Also when will it be possible to add matches played in the ladders? I mean what the esoc ladders were like, civilization used, match time, players, various match stats etc.
I've noticed our devs add new stuff mostly by time and not relevance.
It's obvious they implement things we suggest but I do think some of those things come really late.

I'm 110% sure rearranging decks will come out, but unless there are mobs by Discord and forums asking for it, it will remain in their notebook waiting their turn to be worked on.