Worst Cards in AOE 3 right now - and how would you fix them

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Germany AndiAOE
Skirmisher
ESO: mk8by8bcity

Worst Cards in AOE 3 right now - and how would you fix them

Post by AndiAOE »

Hey guys,
I thought about what currently the worst cards are and possible ways to "fix" them. I collected my thoughts in a Video ;). I also attach the script at the bottom, if you prefer to read. What is in your opinion the worst card in the game right now and how would you fix it?
Spoiler
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Re: Worst Cards in AOE 3 right now - and how would you fix them

Post by dicktator_ »

10 is good in treaty.

6 isn't a good card and probably wouldn't appear in any serious deck, but I don't think it deserves top 10 worst. Raiding with dragoon units is pretty common in teamgames.

The rest seem like good choices, although I have never used or seen #5 so I'm clueless there. For #4 Sepoy Resistance can be a fun strat in nr20 but yea that ronin card just seems horrible.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

Excellent list. Absolutely all terrible cards that need to be viable.

I hope the devs start combining 5-6 of them into one, to bring them up to par with DLC cards.

Perhaps “Dutch Allies” for Japan. Converts all existing villagers into expats — envoys that can gather all res (including hunts and mine more and have 400 hp), which can passively heal units like manors with a free cons church upgrade, and all newly constructed expats will cost 60c, and gives expats a charged ranged ability w/bonus vs vills and they can promote. Put this card in age 1 and have it also grant 2 expats upon arrival.

Nerf shrine gather rate 2% to offset.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
United States of America Vladimatt
Crossbow
ESO: FourthMusketeer

Post by Vladimatt »

#3 is interesting, it used to have an undocumented side effect that the 'Warrior' community plaza unit no longer bled hitpoints, sometimes I ran it on aztecs in teamgames to get 6 additional non-pop units in my army, not sure why they took that effect out.

#2 I think should have an additional effect where nearby allied units also get a small attack speed boost for a few seconds once your explorer goes down, this makes it sort of an equalizer card and fits the theme of your general fighting with your army.
ImageImageImage
Germany KaanHoca
Crossbow
ESO: KaanHoca
GameRanger ID: 9460097

Post by KaanHoca »

"Leather Soldiers":
-is a card which used to be played in treaty, where the wood->gold trade card of mexicans had an ratio of 1,5 (now its 1,25, which is really bad tbh, but "balanced" for treaty I guess"), where you could play most of the games w/o needing to gather coin again, but if you should go out of coin you could just switch back to your homecity card buffed wood gather rate again.

-Mexico with the Age III, IV federal card for wood has an faster wood gather rate than coin on haciendas, even with all upgrades. (+55%)

-In general there are many reasons to go for wood in the early game for mexico if you want to boom (haciendas, upgrades), even could be called wood heavy, so being able to take a use out of the homecity cards like [Exotic Hardwoods] and an potential +55% gatherrate for wood from the federal upgrades, makes it an viable card on maps with incredible amount of wood such as the custom map "Black Forest-Forest Nothing"
imgur.com/a/7KPXbBR
Germany KaanHoca
Crossbow
ESO: KaanHoca
GameRanger ID: 9460097

Post by KaanHoca »

also you are saying, that 99% of cases its bad to turn economic units into millitary units, which I wouldn't agree.
If I would have the option to recover easiely from all-in (not economic revolts) I would always consider an revolt, to make my vills into millitary units.
That's because the scenarios where I use revolts, are the build orders which are way too greedy than normal builds, to get an economic advantage out of it,
but if *my enemy does mass against me in the meantime* to punish me for it, I can just revolt so instead of losing all of my economy for nothing I would maybe get half of the enemys army despite never investing into millitary.
imgur.com/a/7KPXbBR