Connection Issue

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Connection Issue

Post by aligator92 »

So I started playing again in January but my multiplayer experience is absolutely awful currently because in more than half of my matches the game keeps freezing for several seconds to then catch up. Sometimes I lose connection entirely.
I used to be able to play on a pathetic village internet and now I have a 100/10 connection (not great, but much more than I had before) and it is somehow worse. I am on Wifi because Laptop but in the same room as the router and again, this is nothing new, I ahve been playing on wifi my entire life.
Did anyone experience similar issues and found a cause?
Italy Don Nameless
Skirmisher

Re: Connection Issue

Post by Don Nameless »

I have the same problems, I always play on the same connection but it seems like sometimes the game lags going into delay and then everything fast and exiting reconnecting and sometimes I don't even have a bit of delay. I notice that in the first situation the turtle comes out to all or almost all the players so I doubt it's really my connection but it seems to be more a server or game problem, after 1 long game or 2 games I restart the game otherwise it could start lagging next game this also happens for borrowed computers with excellent connections.
Italy Don Nameless
Skirmisher

Post by Don Nameless »

A nice patch dedicated to improving performance and bugs (especially those previously never fixed) would be needed
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

@aligator92 for online gaming it's not about the bandwidth/speed, but more so about latency and jitter. maybe your connection or somewhere upstream there is a bottleneck that causes these intermittent problems. or maybe there is a glitch in your router/pc or high EM interference causing wifi problems.

I would suggest using deduction. You can try going wired and see if that helps. You can try using your phone's hotspot, and if that still has the same issues try tethering. You can try and set a different ingame server (only works on lobby games).
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

harcha wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 07:39
@aligator92 for online gaming it's not about the bandwidth/speed, but more so about latency and jitter. maybe your connection or somewhere upstream there is a bottleneck that causes these intermittent problems. or maybe there is a glitch in your router/pc or high EM interference causing wifi problems.

I would suggest using deduction. You can try going wired and see if that helps. You can try using your phone's hotspot, and if that still has the same issues try tethering. You can try and set a different ingame server (only works on lobby games).
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try Ethernet and see if that improves it. The phone is unfortunately no solution for me as I dont have unlimited data.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

It's still a valid troubleshooting step as long as you don't have limit in the tens of megabytes.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.