European politics

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Re: European politics

Post by duckzilla »

fei123456 wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 15:54
Our media said "hundreds of Germans tear down Ukraine flags in front of Russian consulate in Berlin, and put flowers on destroyed Russian tanks to remember Russian soldiers died in Ukraine". What the hell is it? (I know it's a 99% fake news)
Over the weekend, a kind of memorial was constructed in front of the Russian embassy in Berlin. It consists of a destroyed Russian T-72 tank that was hauled there from Ukraine. Of course Russia didn't like this very public reminder of its relative lack of success in the current conflict. Therefore, they seem to have sent their German* henchman to put flowers on the tanks to try to change the message of the memorial and get some media attention by provoking Ukrainians who "defend" the memorial and its original message.

*There is quite a large number, maybe in the low single digit millions, of Germans with close ties to Russia. They can largely be split into two groups: members/supporters of the old communist dictatorship in Eastern Germany and so-called "Russlanddeutsche". The latter are usually the descendents of Germans who moved to Russia in the 18th/19th century, being invited by the Russian empress of German origin Catherine the Great. Over the course of the 20th century, the Russians with German origin were first harassed for being of German origin during WW1 and then deported to Sibiria/Kazakhstan by Stalin during WW2. In the 1980s/1990s, laws were implemented in Germany that grant their descendents German citizenship and, hence, large numbers of them moved to Germany, becoming what we know as Russlanddeutsche today.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 04:13
Dolan wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 11:53
fightinfrenchman wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 22:36
Do you think that's what people mean when they say Nazi today?
No, the meaning of nazi has been turned into some cartoonish version of the actual historical thing. People just quickly check some surface resemblance points and declare: yep, it's nazi.

they support solving problems through violence ☑️
they are racists ☑️
they hold radical views and are allied with religious extremists who want to control people's lives ☑️

Yep, they are fascists (or nazi, whatever sounds more ominous).
I feel like you're omitting something for some reason
No, three points always cover every possible case
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fei123456 wrote:
Our media said "hundreds of Germans tear down Ukraine flags in front of Russian consulate in Berlin, and put flowers on destroyed Russian tanks to remember Russian soldiers died in Ukraine". What the hell is it? (I know it's a 99% fake news)
I've seen a lot of Germans online saying "Why are we sending money to Ukraine and cutting relations with Russia, it's not in our interest". It's a sort of "not in my backyard" attitude, they think this war is not their problem and want cheap gas again.
And there are some politicians who support the same position. Apparently, the reason why Scholz was so hesitant to send tanks to Ukraine wasn't because he's from a leftwing party and he has ideological problems with supporting a war. The real reason is that his party is very divided on this issue and half of the social-democrats do not want to send weapons to Ukraine.
So this doesn't seem to be only a fringe attitude in Germany, but in some ways it goes deeper, but we don't see those who doubt the government's official position manifest themselves in large numbers. We only see the fringe ones associated with pro-Russian elements.

My impression is that Germany lived through a few decades of material comfort and this brutal disconnection from Russian gas provoked a shock and high inflation, something they haven't experienced before. So there might be some resentment that their way of life is disappearing and there's no other outlet for collective pride. Previously, the economy was their "pride and joy" as Americans say, now what else is there if some of their megacorps are packing up and moving elsewhere (like BASF) due to increased gas prices
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

Nazism generally means racism+dictatorship+invasion. But this word is abused these days and means nothing now.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 18:49
fei123456 wrote:
I've seen a lot of Germans online saying "Why are we sending money to Ukraine and cutting relations with Russia, it's not in our interest". It's a sort of "not in my backyard" attitude, they think this war is not their problem and want cheap gas again.
And there are some politicians who support the same position. Apparently, the reason why Scholz was so hesitant to send tanks to Ukraine wasn't because he's from a leftwing party and he has ideological problems with supporting a war. The real reason is that his party is very divided on this issue and half of the social-democrats do not want to send weapons to Ukraine.
So this doesn't seem to be only a fringe attitude in Germany, but in some ways it goes deeper, but we don't see those who doubt the government's official position manifest themselves in large numbers. We only see the fringe ones associated with pro-Russian elements.

My impression is that Germany lived through a few decades of material comfort and this brutal disconnection from Russian gas provoked a shock and high inflation, something they haven't experienced before. So there might be some resentment that their way of life is disappearing and there's no other outlet for collective pride. Previously, the economy was their "pride and joy" as Americans say, now what else is there if some of their megacorps are packing up and moving elsewhere (like BASF) due to increased gas prices
berlin should just roll out the red carpet for putin already
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Horsemen wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 14:04
Dolan wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 18:49
fei123456 wrote:

Yeah idk it's weird, I've seen a similar attitude in Italy, where there are these kinds of leftist pacifists who protested against Italy sending weapons to Ukraine, they said this could not lead to peace but more war.
It's like they're so blinded by ideology and by living in a comfy pacified society for decades, they think if Ukraine was disarmed this would stop the war, the Russians would just pull back, impressed by their harmlessness.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

There is this fallacy in the left where people start with the idea that the things people base their identities on are generally a bit arbitrary and that it doesn't really matter for an individual which flag is flying on a building. People should just drop their old identity, embrace the new, e.g. Russian, one and keep living their lives as before. This is often accompanied with a kind of racism that, in the given case, assumes that life is equally good/bad in Ukraine or Russia.

Unfortunately, people actually don't drop identities and eagerly embrace new ones. It's just not how people are. Further, being conquered by Russia means becoming part of a country that doesn't offer you anything except for a quick death in the next human wave, while Ukraine offers long-term aligment to the West, human rights, personal freedom and economic success.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

way to complicated thinking here xD
there is a part of the left that entire shtick is to relentlessly shit on the "West", condeming military support to Ukraine is simply a natural extension of that.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I'd say both ideas are right. I've also noticed another thing. It's very popular among Med states (Greece, Italy, even Portugal) to sympathise with Russia, as people from this area have a tendency to judge a situation based on emotional connection.
So many Greeks support Russia because they think they're Orthodox brothers. There's this culture in Greece of sympathising with some people if they're like you: they like to party, eat a good meal, drink some and are bon viveurs in general.
And the image of Russians in Greece is that they like to drink and are heartful fellas just like them. The other rational stuff about institutions, laws, all that shit doesn't matter, it can be explained away. What matters is if they are Orthodox brothers and heartful party people like us. It's similar with Serbs.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Dolan wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 14:05
Horsemen wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 14:04
Show hidden quotes
Yeah idk it's weird, I've seen a similar attitude in Italy, where there are these kinds of leftist pacifists who protested against Italy sending weapons to Ukraine, they said this could not lead to peace but more war.
It's like they're so blinded by ideology and by living in a comfy pacified society for decades, they think if Ukraine was disarmed this would stop the war, the Russians would just pull back, impressed by their harmlessness.
Well disarming Ukraine would actually stop the war, except the Russians won't pull back, they would push forward in Ukraine.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 21:28
Dolan wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 14:05
Show hidden quotes
Well disarming Ukraine would actually stop the war, except the Russians won't pull back, they would push forward in Ukraine.
So disarming Russia would solve the situation
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Completely disarming any one side would stop/skip to the end of any war by definition.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Retired Contributor

Dolan wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 06:58
princeofcarthage wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 21:28
Show hidden quotes
So disarming Russia would solve the situation
Okay, wrong choice of words, what I meant was stopping the arms supply to ukraine by west would stop the war much faster. Despite the spectacular failure on battlefield by russia, war would have ended had it not been for the western arm supplies. So yes west in a way is responsible for prolonging the war than neccessary.
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

yeah and nuking russia would end the conflict even faster.
Retired Contributor

Not just war, pretty much the planet.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

duckzilla wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 14:23
There is this fallacy in the left where people start with the idea that the things people base their identities on are generally a bit arbitrary and that it doesn't really matter for an individual which flag is flying on a building. People should just drop their old identity, embrace the new, e.g. Russian, one and keep living their lives as before. This is often accompanied with a kind of racism that, in the given case, assumes that life is equally good/bad in Ukraine or Russia.

Unfortunately, people actually don't drop identities and eagerly embrace new ones. It's just not how people are. Further, being conquered by Russia means becoming part of a country that doesn't offer you anything except for a quick death in the next human wave, while Ukraine offers long-term aligment to the West, human rights, personal freedom and economic success.
I think this is generally true but there are also plenty of people on the right who are shilling for Putin especially in the US GOP
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Horsemen wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 14:30
duckzilla wrote:

I think this is generally true but there are also plenty of people on the right who are shilling for Putin especially in the US GOP
Why do you think that is
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 22:53
Horsemen wrote:
duckzilla wrote:

Why do you think that is
cus it ain't so that it ain't so
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Horsemen wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 22:52
fightinfrenchman wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 22:53
Show hidden quotes
Why do you think that is
how's the stonks trading thing going
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 14:54
Horsemen wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 22:52
Show hidden quotes
no money left, lost it all
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Horsemen wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 20:49
Dolan wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 14:54
Show hidden quotes
You can always start all over and become a potato farmer
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 09:09
Horsemen wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 20:49
Show hidden quotes
You can always start all over and become a potato farmer
you mean like messi? Not a bad idea at all
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

hi lads hows it going
Slovenia Javon
Musketeer

Post by Javon »

Horsemen wrote:
duckzilla wrote:

Basically party support for Ukraine is different from country to country, but there is usually a left/right divide in all countries. However, in some countries where foreign policy isn't a big topic (smaller countries), party support was decided by the mainstream European/Western decision to support Ukraine and denounce Russia in way that parties who were in government during the start of the war are the most fervent supporters of Ukraine, while opposition parties were less enthusiastic in their support for Ukraine or were even sympathetic to Russia's position. Usually though, European left wing parties are anti NATO and USA and instead (for reasons unbeknownst to me, besides ideology) favour Russia (which they see as successor to the USSR, even though modern day Russia isn't particularly socialist for the most part). In Slavic nations of Eastern Europe there is also the "Russians, the Slavic brothers" moment which is grounded in shaky Slavic brotherhood argument - pretty sure it's a relic of the communist propaganda of the past.

All this is playing out in Slovenia right now. We had a centre-right gov't in February 2022, but have since had elections and now have "centre"-left gov't. The centre-right parties were and still are huge supporters for the Ukrainian war effort, while the new gov't is dragging its' feet to the level that is still acceptable in the EU (so they won't be called out). The gov't consists of a far-left party The Left, a left-wing party Social Democrats and by far the largest party that is centre-left called the Freedom Movement. The first one party's platform is to exit NATO (but they are mostly quiet about this since entering gov't), while the second party's intelectuals and founders have said on multiple times things considered pro Russian (as in Russia was forced into this, we should stop all aid beside humanitarian reaching Ukraine, this is a proxy war between the US and Russia, ...). Thankfully the third party is the most pro-European of the three and keeps the other two in line. Still gov't is reluctant to send aid and condemn Russia by not passing resolutions to declare Russia a state backing terrorism put forward by opposition parties.

Slovenia is an inward looking state and as such foreign policy was decided by the mainstream and opposing views were presented by combination of anti western sentiment of some parties and to gain voters who are pro Russian.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Left parties in Western EU aren't pro Russia. We do have a Putin shill in NL but it's the right wing conspiracy guy who thinks Putin will save us from the lizards or something