Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Re: Jerom_ vs SirCallen

Post by BrookG »

gibson wrote:Damn I knew I shouldn't have let callen take my place

This is where I won, well played though
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

Poor KTRA1N. were the games close?
Jerom won with EP Dutch
Error 404: Signature not found
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Damn Callen it looked like you had already accepted the loss in game two from the very beginning :(
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

GGs the better player won which is the function of tournaments. All hail things which do their job in earnest.

It was largely a failure of civ pick by me. I had a build prepared on Alaska with Port which should have done well regardless of the civ he chose. I got greedy and assumed Brit vs China was an auto win. Diarouga's VC FF build has seriously never lost me that MU to players better than Jerom and I. The addition of some boats might give china the edge there. I cannot adapt to anything. Ah, well.

Game 2 was a build that was supposed to be used vs dutch by Brit in which it does 3x better than with Sioux. Ideally it would have been with Nootka on Alaska but still with Manchupe on Mendo it does well. But since I had mistakenly chosen Brit on Alaska due to Jerom's great China pick I just went with Sioux for the surprise factor. Really had nothing planned for it. I would have won without the wall and gate micro. Better player wins, ez. The hunts were very unfortunate -- felt like we were both missing one. I'm not sure who that assists in that scenario. Ah, well.

G1 was supposed to be either Brit vs Dutch or Port vs Anything. I fucked that up and was forced to do this awkward build in g2 which I just hoped the surprise factor would abuse his rustiness. I should have played straight up. Ah, well.

I even had a build prepared for China vs Dutch in G3. I prepared a lot for this series lol. Ah, well.

I got swept when I was at my peak mechanically and Jerom hadn't played the game for two weeks. Quite frankly, it wasn't even close. Ah, well.

inb4 sircallen isn't good, brit are just op
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

So here's what my plan was:
I was on vacation. While lying there on the beach I got this vision of a new china strat. I figured with the new fishing boats, the dock card for asian civs is much and much better (50w fishing boats and a free dock). With china, instead of doing the slow thing with 2 villages and then the 3 villager card, you can do the dock card, get a free dock, use 100w for 2 vills. You're down in vills early on, but then you can make 3-4 fishing boats in transition and you actually age faster because you don't chop the 100w. Overall, it results in a faster age up with more vills, as I tested later on.

Anyhow, I thought this made a nice brits bait. The entire problem I had in figuring out a strat is that I think brits are OP, or at least I struggle against them. I just didn't want to risk playing Dutch vs British as I think that's a very hard match up personally (I know quite a few people disagree with this though, regardless I do struggle in this mu myself). I thought to myself, what if I bait out brits in game 1 with an offer callen can't deny and then in game 2 I get a lot more wiggle room in picking civs. Game 3 was on Tibet, which would make india a great pick against brits.

So I just wanted to do a bit of a weird strat. Do the dock thing as china, and actually sorta outscale a VC brit player with china's great shipments (note how I was even on eco which means you're ahead as china). Callen's raids kinda made me throw almost but it worked out. Brits out of the way made me so much happier.

Game 2 I just went with dutch. Didnt think Callen would play any of the civs I'd scare. Weird strat by callen, coulda worked but fortunately I learned dutch in an environment where those strats where the norm (2010 meta EleGiggle).

Nice games. I also trademarked that china strat, diarouga shouldn't steal it.
Brazil Kickass_OP
Lancer
ESO: Kickass

Post by Kickass_OP »

Nooo Collen
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

The truth is, I failed Callen in our prep for this series. Was too tunnel-visioned on one or two particular counter-strats rather than solid picks for the maps in general. Failed even harder in coaching him during the series—I probably did more harm than good, especially in G2. :sad:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

deleted_user wrote:GGs the better player won which is the function of tournaments. All hail things which do their job in earnest.

It was largely a failure of civ pick by me. I had a build prepared on Alaska with Port which should have done well regardless of the civ he chose. I got greedy and assumed Brit vs China was an auto win. Diarouga's VC FF build has seriously never lost me that MU to players better than Jerom and I. The addition of some boats might give china the edge there. I cannot adapt to anything. Ah, well.

Game 2 was a build that was supposed to be used vs dutch by Brit in which it does 3x better than with Sioux. Ideally it would have been with Nootka on Alaska but still with Manchupe on Mendo it does well.
But since I had mistakenly chosen Brit on Alaska due to Jerom's great China pick I just went with Sioux for the surprise factor. Really had nothing planned for it. I would have won without the wall and gate micro. Better player wins, ez. The hunts were very unfortunate -- felt like we were both missing one. I'm not sure who that assists in that scenario. Ah, well.

G1 was supposed to be either Brit vs Dutch or Port vs Anything. I fucked that up and was forced to do this awkward build in g2 which I just hoped the surprise factor would abuse his rustiness. I should have played straight up. Ah, well.

I even had a build prepared for China vs Dutch in G3. I prepared a lot for this series lol. Ah, well.

I got swept when I was at my peak mechanically and Jerom hadn't played the game for two weeks. Quite frankly, it wasn't even close. Ah, well.

inb4 sircallen isn't good, brit are just op

It was part of the plan, bait Brits vs China with a secret build order. Don't actually think I'd have picked Dutch that easily as people always focus so much on me being a dutch player (and they tend to forget this game is ezpz and any civ can be played easily) so I don't pick them that much for reasons you explained nicely. I actually think this China build order just straight up beats brits like that or that it's at least much better than the normal china strat. I don't know if that sioux strat could work. You did play well mechanically though, those hussar raids almost killed me in particular.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I was on vacation also. Outside was too cold to even start my car. I no-lifed AoE and never left my apartment for 3 days to prepare. Got swept. Is how it goes. Life ain't fair -- some are better at AoE than others. What a detriment that is to me and my inability to separate personal contentment from a vidya.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I wish I would have just played straight up. I think it could have been a better series, maybe the best of the whole tournament. I could feel my heart in my tongue. It was a very unfortunate case of nerves as well.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

deleted_user wrote:I was on vacation also. Outside was too cold to even start my car. I no-lifed AoE and never left my apartment for 3 days to prepare. Got swept. Is how it goes. Life ain't fair -- some are better at AoE than others. What a detriment that is to me and my inability to separate personal contentment from a vidya.

aoe is a game of experience buddy, notice how many top players don't even play much and are still better than we are. I've been playing this game for as long as I remember, it makes literally every single thing go better, from micro to macro to build orders to decision making to army movement. Just everything.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Maybe this will motivate me to not spend time on vidya :chinese:
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

To be honest I don't understand what either of you are talking about in these last few comments, haha.

EDIT: Never mind. Misread something.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

You need to have a very high iq to understand these tournament strategies.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Sioux pretty good pick on Mendocino.
Image Image Image
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

so @BrookG somehow eliminated both Gibson and SirCallen without even starting AoE?
Mighty! :ohmy:
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

in a danker timeline they'd have both remembered to sign up, gotten placed on opposite sides of the bracket, and met in the finals.
duck
:mds:
imo
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Vinyanenya wrote:in a danker timeline they'd have both remembered to sign up, gotten placed on opposite sides of the bracket, and met in the finals.

I honest to god don't think I ever saw the announcement. I wouldn't even know where the announcement would be. Also theres a lot of great guys in it, probably better than callen and me even.
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

There was indeed never any announcement. The sign up thingy simply showed up on the top ona random day. I am quite surprised by how many people actually signed up :D
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

aligator92 wrote:There was indeed never any announcement. The sign up thingy simply showed up on the top ona random day. I am quite surprised by how many people actually signed up :D

I actually had 2 weeks where my internet did not work for desktop at all, I actually suspect I was only browsing through my phone and couldn't see it that way. That'd explain things. Anyways, this is what friends are for @BrookG :love:

Also I find it cool to see how all players nowadays are preparing and mind gaming eachother in these sort of series. That native brits rush for example just sounds amazing.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

It was announced, but only as a small part of an unrelated newspost.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

Vinyanenya wrote:in a danker timeline they'd have both remembered to sign up, gotten placed on opposite sides of the bracket, and met in the finals.

I would prefere to play any of the round I need to pass now vs jerom or callen than vs my real opponents tbh... I have a former 2k6 colonel allowed somehow to play 2nd chance despite not playing main event, then Butifle smurfing on iamturk, then mongobillone and then final vs whoever (probably another Butifle's smurf hidden somewhere). I barely have more hope for this than for the main event^^
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

bwinner1 wrote:

I would prefere to play any of the round I need to pass now vs jerom or callen than vs my real opponents tbh... I have a former 2k6 colonel allowed somehow to play 2nd chance despite not playing main event, then Butifle smurfing on iamturk, then mongobillone and then final vs whoever (probably another Butifle's smurf hidden somewhere). I barely have more hope for this than for the main event^^

If you have evidence of smurfing then send it my way
duck
:mds:
imo