UI 2.3 Suggestions thread

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

UI 2.3 Suggestions thread

Post by Aizamk »

Hello everyone, as very few of you might know, I am the lead developer of the large team that brought you the Spectator UI Mod for AoE3, striving to make your experience as a caster/viewer as engaging as possible. This project took several years to arrive at its current state, requiring countless hours of research and development, the creation of cutting edge techniques, and the enlistment of numerous volunteers and freelancers to assist with polishing the product.

It's been a few years since the last official update to the UI mod. The product has consistently shown high sales over the years despite a challenging economic climate and high market volatility, so the team has so far been content to just sit back and enjoy their hard-earned monetary gains.

However, in view of the growing number of alternatives to the Spectator UI Mod for AoE3 that have been developed and released by rival teams over time, it has come to our attention that in order to stay well ahead of the competition, it has become a must to update our product in accordance with the ever-increasing standards of quality that the consumers of 2018 have come to expect from those highly paid professionals who continue to work on developing for this hugely popular and thriving game.

You know it's a tough industry to work in when the most scathing reviews come from foreign critics who barely even play the game.

Anyway, I am pleased to officially announce that the team will finally be resuming development.

Now for the unimportant stuff. As the lead developer, I thought it might be good to start a discussion on what people might like to see in UI 2.3, for its tentative release some time this year. Post any suggestions, bugs you noticed in UI 2.2 (actually 2.1) etc.
oranges.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player

Re: UI 2.3 Suggestions thread

Post by Aizamk »

Completed:
Current release:

UI 2.3 Alpha0.1 (17/02/19)
Changes from 2.2

1) UI will now attempt to fix itself twice, once after 15 seconds and again after 40 seconds
(applicable if a spectator started the game with maximized UI then switched to minimized UI in-game)
2) Added unit tactic viewer - to avoid cluttering the UI, only applies to select important units and buildings such as shrines, factories, wonders, firepits etc. Displays in bottom right display when a unit is selected.
3) Added delay to auto game end to allow time to process end-game things (not tested in MP)
4) Added resource income option to top graphic - now toggles between Eco Unit Pop, Recalculated Eco Pop, Resource Income. Current implementation very sensitive to jumps from e.g. crates, treasures, trading posts.
5) Removed buggy viewlock functionality, to replace with autocameraman in future
oranges.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

Add another 'view' where it shows the combination of 'techs being researched, techs already researched and shipments sent'. This will be useful to see for example, player A sends 700w and then spends it on these techs or this person is researching vet huss, he may be sending 5 huss as next card and seeing how these factors relate to each other.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

have an extra pop up window near to the option for the recalculated eco, where it shows current gather rate for food sources. This would be useful for longer games judging states of eco for example: Player A is on mills with both tech up grades and refrigeration so mill is gather rate (per vill, no need for total food/sec for all gathering vills) is 1.5 food/sec, however player B is fishing with just gill nets but has rendering plant and the fish market cards so his boats gather at 1.8 food/sec.
The UI would show a hunt icon then a number, wood, coin, mill, plantation, fish, whale (as these are variable and the other income sources in the game are static)

*note numbers quoted are for example and are not correct
India guyshir
Skirmisher
Donator 01
ESO: guyshir

Post by guyshir »

some of the infinite shipments come only once in the shipment sent tab, but which have been continuously shipped. (talking about treaty)
example:
1 HC comes only once while the player has shipped multiple times.
while,
10 musk for port is shown all the times it is send, so is with 10 rod for spain.

I am not sure what happens to infinite 300 crate tho.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player

Post by Aizamk »

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:Add another 'view' where it shows the combination of 'techs being researched, techs already researched and shipments sent'

Possible, though may take a lot of time to do.

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:current gather rate for food sources

The option to show resources per second is already present in UI 2.1 via the console command resincome(), though I am working on getting this info into the top bar as an extra option (unseparated for total resources only). Adding an extra drag-and-droppable UI to do this is unfortunately not possible.

guyshir wrote:1 HC comes only once while the player has shipped multiple times.

That's because that card is unique to treaty patch so there is no hardcoded logic to deal with that infinite shipment. Currently the focus is on RE and EP fixes only.
oranges.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Add a counter for resource loss due to vill idle time?
Image Image Image
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player

Post by Aizamk »

Garja wrote:Add a counter for resource loss due to vill idle time?

There isn't really an objective way of determining this - how do you know if a villager would have been gathering a fast resource like food, or a slower resource like wood, for example.
oranges.
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Maybe just having a Villager second counter for idle time then ? Seems an intersting feature.
By the way, happy to see you back developing this awesome UI ! :flowers:
India guyshir
Skirmisher
Donator 01
ESO: guyshir

Post by guyshir »

Aizamk wrote:

That's because that card is unique to treaty patch so there is no hardcoded logic to deal with that infinite shipment. Currently the focus is on RE and EP fixes only.

This is a card on RE too. TP just added the cost to shipping hc and removed free uhlans. On RE it is 1 hc + 4 uhlans infinite.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Some infinite shipments show only once on the ui, some show accurately, not sure why
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France Kynesie
ESOC Pro Team
ESO: kynesie

Post by Kynesie »

View excluding each others isn t optimal. You always want to see shipment sent for example . An opportunity to see more information (information of different types) would be welcome.
Anything about lag ? i m not sure but seems UI obs game lag a lot more than normal game. Is it because there is 3 or 4 player instead of 2, UI maps or UI obs ? i m not sure , maybe a little bit of everything, but in tourney stream, i see a lot of players complain about lag :/
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

yea it seems to cause lag or maybe its recorded game
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player

Post by Aizamk »

guyshir wrote:
Aizamk wrote:

This is a card on RE too. TP just added the cost to shipping hc and removed free uhlans. On RE it is 1 hc + 4 uhlans infinite.

The UI detects infinite shipments by taking the difference of two checksums right before the shipment is sent and right after the shipment is sent. The checksum is based on units on the field. By removing the 4 uhlans, that checksum is changed and the code no longer recognizes it as the same card.

Kynesie wrote:Anything about lag ? i m not sure but seems UI obs game lag a lot more than normal game. Is it because there is 3 or 4 player instead of 2, UI maps or UI obs ? i m not sure , maybe a little bit of everything, but in tourney stream, i see a lot of players complain about lag :/

Any additional lag should depend entirely on the PCs of casters, as in the vast majority of situations, aside from a few initial calculations at the start of the game and something to detect when the game should end, nothing is run player-side.
oranges.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

UI somehow scales the replay speed so that it runs at a normal rate rather than based on how fast your computer processes.
mad cuz bad
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Ye vill seconds lost due to idle time
Image Image Image
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

Idk if seeing someone's view lock in real time is possible but that would be awesome. Also if you could toggle the fog of war for only 1 player/team at a time, that'd be neat. Thanks for all the hard work on this, it's already a great tool as is
De Funk
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player

Post by Aizamk »

Garja wrote:Ye vill seconds lost due to idle time

Would you count villagers walking across the map as idle?

Hidddy_ wrote:Idk if seeing someone's view lock in real time is possible but that would be awesome. Also if you could toggle the fog of war for only 1 player/team at a time, that'd be neat. Thanks for all the hard work on this, it's already a great tool as is

View locking someone would require a lot of calculations player side, so I will probably be avoiding that. However, I am attempting to implement an alternative feature.

Fog of war for only one team from the start of the game is possible, but making it toggle-able between teams has been shown to cause OOS.
oranges.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

I would say villagers walking accross the map is definitely idle, because it indicates that one player might have to walk very far (because he didn't herd) and the other player doesn't (because he did herd). Not sure if this statistic would be interesting though, since the numbers are going to be quite large and may eventually be meaningless.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Aizamk wrote:

I would, or at least I would be interested in knowing how many vs are lost due to walking time. Can be an interesting information in mirror scenarios for player'sefficiency but also a way to compare different civ efficiency (e.g. Japan with Brits).
However I'm not sure the 2 statistic should be mixed, nor if it is possible/practical to calculate walking time.
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Aizamk wrote:Fog of war for only one team from the start of the game is possible, but making it toggle-able between teams has been shown to cause OOS.

Wasn't this possible on your vanilla "obz" maps though ?
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player

Post by Aizamk »

Garja wrote:However I'm not sure the 2 statistic should be mixed, nor if it is possible/practical to calculate walking time.

I think there is a way to do it, but will have to test.

Kaiserklein wrote:
Aizamk wrote:Fog of war for only one team from the start of the game is possible, but making it toggle-able between teams has been shown to cause OOS.

Wasn't this possible on your vanilla "obz" maps though ?

Yes, and those would always go OOS at around 10-15 minutes.
oranges.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Hmm ok, that's weird I don't remember that ever happening to me, and I obsed a ton of games on nilla
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Garja wrote:
Aizamk wrote:

I would, or at least I would be interested in knowing how many vs are lost due to walking time. Can be an interesting information in mirror scenarios for player'sefficiency but also a way to compare different civ efficiency (e.g. Japan with Brits).
However I'm not sure the 2 statistic should be mixed, nor if it is possible/practical to calculate walking time.

I think it would be very interested for the exact reasons you say. I have been thinking for a long time to make some experiments where I try to herd very well and micro vills even on the 3rd, 4th, 5th hunt to see how many res we are missing out on by not herding those as close as possible.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Norway aqwer
Dragoon

Post by aqwer »

@Aizamk
Is there any way that I can use this UI for "Unknown" map, and after that I can regenerate the same map or tweek some things i.e crates, tps, or tile set etc.
#trainableSpahi