Which Tournament Idea Are You Exiceted About the Most?

Random Map
16%
Random Matchup
66%
Neither
14%
Other (please share)
5%

Total votes: 44

No Flag ovi12
Jaeger

11 Nov 2018, 02:34

We all know that the some of the most fun games happen when players are forced to adapt in uncomfortable situations and when miracles are pulled off from impossibly doomed positions. Here are a couple tournament ideas that aim to bring these situations about more often. What do you think?

Random Map
Players select their civs first, and then the map is revealed. Either from a small subset known in advance or not.

Random Matchups
Players submit a list of 5 or 7 civs they would like to play in the series. Each game, the civs are randomly selected from those pools. The pools can be made public or not.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag umeu
Gendarme

11 Nov 2018, 02:45

both combined, imo. with limited amount of players. 16 max. 4 groups round robin. like Euro Cup.

oh actually, i didn't mean random mu's, I meant blind mu's. But random mu's can be fun too. But random mu + random map is probably too much.
Kiribati SirCallen
Gendarme
ESO: KTRAlN

11 Nov 2018, 03:02

Smurf Tournament
thank god for threads
and good screws
No Flag ovi12
Jaeger

11 Nov 2018, 03:12

umeu wrote:both combined, imo. with limited amount of players. 16 max. 4 groups round robin. like Euro Cup.

oh actually, i didn't mean random mu's, I meant blind mu's. But random mu's can be fun too. But random mu + random map is probably too much.

Isn't random matchup on random map the same as blind matchup on random map?
No Flag ovi12
Jaeger

11 Nov 2018, 03:13

Sorry, have to say it: One vote for "Neither" from Garja :P
No Flag umeu
Gendarme

11 Nov 2018, 03:16

ovi12 wrote:
umeu wrote:both combined, imo. with limited amount of players. 16 max. 4 groups round robin. like Euro Cup.

Isn't random matchup on random map the same as blind matchup on random map?

no, blind mu's means you don't know the other person's civ, but you can pick your own. Random mu's means you also don't know your own civ.
Canada dansil92
Crossbow
ESO: dansil92

11 Nov 2018, 03:18

I like random maps, but it would probably need to be arranged so both players are comfortable with the civ matchup and not just counterpicked otherwise it could be a bit unfair. Only worry is that everyone would just avoid niche civs like germany or ottoman and just play a lot of Dutch and India mirrors
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

11 Nov 2018, 13:11

Random MU may not be very interesting because some players will say "oh what is the point of playing this MU against this opponent on this map its autolose" and refuse to play or play without tryharding
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic
France bwinner1
Lancer
ESO: bwinner

11 Nov 2018, 13:31

I would love to see random MU, I don't think people will cry about it if they know from start this is the rule of the tourney (+it has to be a small tourney, maybe a one day one).
The smurf tourney as an invitationnal could be great aswell.
Armenia Sargsyan
Howdah
ESO: Sargsyan
GameRanger ID: 2106182

11 Nov 2018, 13:41

Id rather like to see random esoc map tournament
Germany supernapoleon
Dragoon
ESO: Supernapoleon

11 Nov 2018, 13:57

Teams play against each other. For every 1v1 match one player feom each team is random selected. The team with the most 1v1 wins, advances.
"I'M SOOOOOO GOOD AT THE GAME"
Hazza wrote: "I mad u win cos u get carried all game and have to lame every game"
Germany Oliveza
Musketeer
ESO: Oliveza

11 Nov 2018, 16:09

A Tournament, where no HC-Shipmets are allowed.
Fucking Edurdo man! :dry:
Switzerland ChewSick
Skirmisher
ESO: chusik

11 Nov 2018, 16:22

Oliveza wrote:A Tournament, where no HC-Shipmets are allowed.

aoe2 reloaded :D
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888

11 Nov 2018, 16:26

ChewSick wrote:
Oliveza wrote:A Tournament, where no HC-Shipmets are allowed.

aoe2 reloaded :D

Just add drop-off points and farm that have limited food
Whiteboards are remarkable
Not living in Ede
--- h2o Rip ---

Jan Siegel wrote:What PR is @XeeleeFlower?
CometK wrote:pr21, but her brother is pr36 (goodspeed)
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

11 Nov 2018, 17:48

Random Mirror HUEBR™ already had 3 sucessfull editions, is a great format.

A third person right before each game will pick a random civ (using random.org or similar site), then players will mirror that civ in "esoc maps". You cant prepare before hand (only preparing all mirrors) and its random map, so you still have to adapt for the map on the fly.
United States of America charlemango
Crossbow
ESO: 2ndLastKnight

11 Nov 2018, 18:44

World Cup: each country (or region, if not enough players) fields a team. Starting with the lowest ELO player, each country sends one player for a 1v1 match. Loser of the match is eliminated, winner stays on. Team that has all of their players eliminated loses. Winning team advances to next round in knockout format.
European Union Interjection
Dragoon
Donator 03
ESO: Interjection

11 Nov 2018, 21:22

I do really like the idea of a World Cup in general
France kami_ryu
Retired Contributor
ESO: kami_ryu & incognoto
Location: Denver, CO, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

11 Nov 2018, 21:34

France would win the world cup
seed & germination
Germany aligator92
Lancer
ESO: aligator92

11 Nov 2018, 21:42

lemmings121 wrote:Random Mirror HUEBR™ already had 3 sucessfull editions, is a great format.
A third person right before each game will pick a random civ (using random.org or similar site), then players will mirror that civ in "esoc maps". You cant prepare before hand (only preparing all mirrors) and its random map, so you still have to adapt for the map on the fly.

At first I liked this idea but now I fear that it will lead to an incredibly stale tournamant. I think that there will be no big adaptations to maps. Because you will still not go water in a french mirror, even if you play on indonesia. So I feel like this would just lead to super repetetive games
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

11 Nov 2018, 22:33

Am I insane for just wanting more standard solid gameplay? Fair/interesting match ups with good players using good strategies? The game won't get more interesting by just making everything weird/random, as the magic of the game to me is discovering how one normally should play.

"When life give you incompetence, participate in the betting" - Jerom, winner of autumn betting, 2016
"but wer eyiu playig a gainst someone as magnificent as jerom? thats wha ti thogutb jerom is a beaaitful human being"- Mr_Bramboy
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

11 Nov 2018, 22:51

aligator92 wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:Random Mirror HUEBR™ already had 3 sucessfull editions, is a great format.

At first I liked this idea but now I fear that it will lead to an incredibly stale tournamant. I think that there will be no big adaptations to maps. Because you will still not go water in a french mirror, even if you play on indonesia. So I feel like this would just lead to super repetetive games

Yeah, maybe true. We did that with only 8 players, so not that many games. Also, since its random, its not like everyone picking fre and getting mirrored, its some weird mirrors that we dont see often.

Definitely not a idea for a main event, but nice for a single weekend.
No Flag ovi12
Jaeger

12 Nov 2018, 00:57

momuuu wrote:Am I insane for just wanting more standard solid gameplay? Fair/interesting match ups with good players using good strategies? The game won't get more interesting by just making everything weird/random, as the magic of the game to me is discovering how one normally should play.

I don't see how random matchups will detract from that. I think it actually adds to it, since we will get to explore the things to do in weird situations/matchups. It's not like starvation or anything.
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

12 Nov 2018, 02:30

Starve 2 baby
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
No Flag ovi12
Jaeger

12 Nov 2018, 03:15

forgrin wrote:Starve 2 baby