"3 Settler Wagons" Shipment Discussion

New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

"3 Settler Wagons" Shipment Discussion

Post by zoom »

As a Germans player, if you had to choose, would you rather remove the 2 Uhlans from the shipment (making it 3SW), or exchange one Settler Wagon for a Settler (making it 2SW + 1S + 2U)?

I will be polling this in the near future, publically, but wish for the community to discuss the issue first, to help give voters as informed an opinion, as possible.

Right now, 3SW is about as consistent as if Discovery 2SW came with an Uhlan (definitely an intra-civ balance issue, meaning it's far too viable, compared to other shipments).

Personally, I'd rather remove the Uhlans, because I find the 3SW shipment every bit as defining of the civilization, as the Uhlans bonus, itself, and believe that altering the three Wagons would take away more from the player experience. Also, this would allow the player strategic choice (as opposed to the shipment being strictly superior), and maintain players the option not to screw with pre-existing builds.

The only advantage I see for 2SW+1S, is that it maintains absolute consistency outside of Mercenary shipments (ignoring Discovery age 2SW, of course) – although 3SW is a logical and sensible exception to make, given the distinctiveness of the shipment (of a unique unit), as well as the fact that it's currently a horrible inconsistency, being the civilization's only shipment to receive two bonuses.

Am I missing any advantages of 2SW+1S?

Please note that there is no risk of either change happening, with the release of EP7, if it proves unpopular. Still, for the sake of the question, assume that you must choose.

P.S: Only for Germans: We should add a Settler to all Discovery Age shipments (other than 2SW (because it already has it), and INFINITE and TEAM shipments (by default)). It would help balance 2SW, and remove a horribly ugly inconsistency, that's hiding in plain sight.

"Germans gets a "2 Settler Wagons" Discovery shipment. Effectively, this shipment has a bonus Settler, meaning that currently, every Germans Colonial, Fortress, and Industrial shipment comes with a bonus (except for 3SW which comes with 2, if you recall), but 2SW is the only Discovery shipment that does. From a consistency and design perspective, that is fucking atrocious. It is not a matter of inter-civilization balance – it's hideous and automatically disqualifies every other Discovery shipment from viability."

Thank you for your input!
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Re: "3 Settler Wagons" Shipment Discussion

Post by yemshi »

zoom wrote:
P.S. We should add a Settler to all Discovery Age shipments (other than 2SW (because it already has it), and INFINITE and TEAM shipments (by default)). It would help balance 2SW, and remove a horribly ugly inconsistency.

Thank you for your input!

Isn' that as ugly as it gets? A tremendously long list for... eco theory?
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

As was pointed out on the German Discussion thread, 3 SWs has a double bonus. I think nerfing this particular card is a positive move.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Is this assuming Uhlans get buffed back to 190 hp as if not 3sw on it's own is better

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

zoom wrote:P.S. We should add a Settler to all Discovery Age shipments (other than 2SW (because it already has it), and INFINITE and TEAM shipments (by default)). It would help balance 2SW, and remove a horribly ugly inconsistency.

So all civs get 4 vills instead of 3? What about France? Will they get 4 Cdb (=4.8 vills)? Or will their shipment become the worst vill shipment in the game?

I'm not really convinced. I would neither change the discovery age shipments nor the german colonial age shipment.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Riotcoke wrote:Is this assuming Uhlans get buffed back to 190 hp as if not 3sw on it's own is better
As is made clear in the OP, this is assuming only that you have to choose between the two options. At this time, it is far from certain that it will feature in EP7's release.
Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

Post by jgals »

its funny how the devs are so reticent to change something that no one would even care about like mantlet speed with the stated mission of "not changing the original game too much" but yet they implemented something so totally game breaking; nerfing the HP of an already paper thin cavalry unit that is expensive and costs 2 pop
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

i will not anwser so i wont become a zoiboy
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

jgals wrote:its funny how the devs are so reticent to change something that no one would even care about like mantlet speed with the stated mission of "not changing the original game too much" but yet they implemented something so totally game breaking; nerfing the HP of an already paper thin cavalry unit that is expensive and costs 2 pop

completely agree, bro
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

duckzilla wrote:
zoom wrote:P.S. We should add a Settler to all Discovery Age shipments (other than 2SW (because it already has it), and INFINITE and TEAM shipments (by default)). It would help balance 2SW, and remove a horribly ugly inconsistency.

So all civs get 4 vills instead of 3? What about France? Will they get 4 Cdb (=4.8 vills)? Or will their shipment become the worst vill shipment in the game?

I'm not really convinced. I would neither change the discovery age shipments nor the german colonial age shipment.
No. Germans gets a "2 Settler Wagons" Discovery shipment. Effectively, this shipment has a bonus Settler, meaning that currently, every Germans Colonial, Fortress, and Industrial shipment comes with a bonus (except for 3SW which comes with 2, if you recall), but 2SW is the only Discovery shipment that does. From a consistency and design perspective, that is fucking atrocious. It is not a matter of inter-civilization balance – it's hideous and automatically disqualifies every other Discovery shipment from viability.

Also, whether anyone would change anything is irrelevant to this thread. I only want to know which change players would prefer, if they had to choose.

Updated OP; thanks!
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

jgals wrote:its funny how the devs are so reticent to change something that no one would even care about like mantlet speed with the stated mission of "not changing the original game too much" but yet they implemented something so totally game breaking; nerfing the HP of an already paper thin cavalry unit that is expensive and costs 2 pop
It is very funny that they were. They aren't, however. Please don't project others' decisions onto me!
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

zoom wrote:
They were. They aren't.

they weren't, they are
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Sargsyan wrote:
zoom wrote:
They were. They aren't.

they weren't, they are
Nonsense! What makes you say that – my consistently expressed desire to buff unviable features, over the past ten years?
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

GiBthedurrty wrote:i will not anwser and become a zoiboy
Although I'm not sure what that means: : (
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

zoom wrote:
Sargsyan wrote:
Show hidden quotes

they weren't, they are
Nonsense! What makes you say that – my consistently expressed desire to buff unviable features, over the past ten years?

i wish esoc existed 10 years ago
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

ESOC is irrelevant to my statement. I am talking about the game, you happy guy. Now stop embarrasing yourself.
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

3SW is prettier design wise but 2SW + 1S + 2U is better balance wise because removing both Uhlans completely turns the early cav balance vs other cav starting civs on its head. So as a german player I would prefer 2SW + 1S + 2U.

zoom wrote:[u]
P.S. We should add a Settler to all Discovery Age shipments (other than 2SW (because it already has it), and INFINITE and TEAM shipments (by default)). It would help balance 2SW, and remove a horribly ugly inconsistency, that's hiding in plain sight.

Are we talking german shipments here or all discovery shipments?
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Again, Germans. My bad. I did update the OP. Let me do it again in another attempt to be clearer. Thanks!
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

There isn't any inconsistency tbh. Germany just happens to get sw shipments which are stronger than vil shipments, both discovery 2 sw and colonial 3 sw. Then, discovery shipments don't have any free uhlans (2 sw included), and colonial shipments have 2 free uhlans (3 sw included). If you want to keep the consistency, well, you simply shouldn't touch the current 3 sw shipment.

Then again, at this point, I doubt consistency is really our main concern. As a german player, I'd rather have 2sw +1v + 2 uhlans than 3 sw + 0 uhlan. It's just never really worth trading 1v for 2 uhlans. I don't know if it would be enough of a nerf, would need testing.
It's definitely a smoother change than 3 sw + 0 uhlan though, because that one would change the way germany is played, most likely making 700w the preferred standard first shipment. Not getting the early 2 uhlans to harass your opponent, and then having 5 uhlans instead of 7, just makes the early colonial so much weaker, while having one less vil doesn't really matter early on. And if you're not starting with cav it's the same story, probably even worse when you go for a naked ff.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

-2 ulhans is clearly a more drastic change, while -1v is hust a shadow nerf.
Bith are impactful balance wise, just the vill one is less intrusive
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I am against all eco nerfs in EP
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

DID ZOI DELETE "ZOIBOYCHILL XD?"
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

what is that true ?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I like neither change but would pick -1v over -2 cav.
Maybe you can leave Germans alone if exiled prince is being nerfed further?
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

my posts are also deleted, such an atrocity towards our freedom of speech