Some beginner qestions

Switzerland Julian
Crossbow
ESO: Azagio

Some beginner qestions

Post by Julian »

Hello

While I am new here, I am not really new in aoe3. Played it a lot as a kid but was always very bad/played for fun. Now with the Definitive Edition coming I want to actually improve. Played quite a bit during the last 1-2 weeks, mostly Russia and china. Managed to get PR20 with Russia but no success at all with china. I am playing on the normal patch rn but will change once I am a bit better. So I have a couple questions:

- In one of the china ff guides there is the following sentence: "Set 5 villagers to gather food, 1 to gather crates". Why is that efficient? Wont it take much longer to gather the food for vill production. Also the lone vill will have to gather 200 woods from crates to build a village. Wont this supply block me?
- In another china guide its advised to build 2 villages in age1. Is my assumption correct that I can only do this against defensive civs? Cause I dont really see the value in having 2 villages so early besides getting +1 villager from refugee card.

For Russia:
- I pretty much always early pressure with 5 cossacks + 5 musks asap. Worked pretty good so far but now a lot of my opponents that want to ff just ignore the pressure. If I walk into his town to kill/idle his vills I take too much damage from his tc and the attack was useless. If I mass first and then attack it may be already too late and he will arrive in age3. How do I play this correctly?

Also are these questions in the right place here? Dont wanna spam the forum
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Re: Some beginner qestions

Post by voigt1240 »

What has worked for me is watching replays of better players
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Julian wrote:
For Russia:
- I pretty much always early pressure with 5 cossacks + 5 musks asap. Worked pretty good so far but now a lot of my opponents that want to ff just ignore the pressure. If I walk into his town to kill/idle his vills I take too much damage from his tc and the attack was useless. If I mass first and then attack it may be already too late and he will arrive in age3. How do I play this correctly?
Well the early pressure will never straight win u the game but its main purpose is to idle ur oponent and keep him busy while killing some vills in best case. Behind that early pressure u have to decide what ur matchplan is which is ofc highly depending on which civ ur playing against
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Julian wrote:- In one of the china ff guides there is the following sentence: "Set 5 villagers to gather food, 1 to gather crates". Why is that efficient? Wont it take much longer to gather the food for vill production. Also the lone vill will have to gather 200 woods from crates to build a village. Wont this supply block me?
- In another china guide its advised to build 2 villages in age1. Is my assumption correct that I can only do this against defensive civs? Cause I dont really see the value in having 2 villages so early besides getting +1 villager from refugee card.
All vili on crate for queuting you first vili (after 6 sec) then 1 vili on crate. After than, you need to gather 100w for 2 villages / 1village 1 tp. I am not expert with china but 2 villages seem more defensive than 1 village 1 tp because you can't always hold your tp, where you can use your village as wall.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

chronique wrote:
Julian wrote:- In one of the china ff guides there is the following sentence: "Set 5 villagers to gather food, 1 to gather crates". Why is that efficient? Wont it take much longer to gather the food for vill production. Also the lone vill will have to gather 200 woods from crates to build a village. Wont this supply block me?
All vili on crate for queuting you first vili (after 6 sec) then 1 vili on crate. After than, you need to gather 100w for 2 villages / 1village 1 tp. I am not expert with china but 2 villages seem more defensive than 1 village 1 tp because you can't always hold your tp, where you can use your village as wall.
China pro?!?!
Spain pain train is real
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

China was my first true main civ, back to 2008 ^^.
Switzerland Julian
Crossbow
ESO: Azagio

Post by Julian »

chronique wrote:
So after 100f I put the sole crate collector to wood and build the village with one of the hunting vills?
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

chronique wrote:China was my first true main civ, back to 2008^^.
Why are you saying intentionally or not that u are an old man in all ur posts^^
Ur not an old man :biggrin:
Spain pain train is real
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

Julian wrote:So after 100f I put the sole crate collector to wood and build the village with one of the hunting vills?
Gather 100f, then gather 200w (for the tp) then 1 vili on crate (but at this point, that no matter so much), 4 hunt and others on wood for gathering 100w.

If you want 2 villages, you don't realy need your 200w so fast.
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

I thinks overall the best/easiest way to go (with all civs) is to kill the closest hunt immediately (with 2-3 vills) and then just put one vill on each crate, and then shiftclick them to tc or to the ressource they shall gather next. There may be approaches that are 0.01% more efficient for specific civs, but overall I find that approach works very well. You can quickly build your tp that way (if your civ needs it).
Image Image
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01

Post by amiggo1999 »

Anyways, this isn't a big issue, and not what's holding you on 2nd lt level. Just need more game knowledge and probably improve mechanics (and fix your macro as small d would say ofc :D)
Image Image
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

amiggo1999 wrote:Anyways, this isn't a big issue, and not what's holding you on 2nd lt level. Just need more game knowledge and probably improve mechanics (and fix your macro as small d would say ofc :D)
Improve your skillz! :kinggreen:
Spain pain train is real
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

amiggo1999 wrote:I thinks overall the best/easiest way to go (with all civs) is to kill the closest hunt immediately (with 2-3 vills) and then just put one vill on each crate, and then shiftclick them to tc or to the ressource they shall gather next. There may be approaches that are 0.01% more efficient for specific civs, but overall I find that approach works very well. You can quickly build your tp that way (if your civ needs it).
Fun fact i don't like it with native civ because of shit vili animation . With iro i gather 100f and then kill the deer (i have the feeling that i loose 1 sec when i don't do that lol).
Rohbrot wrote:
I almost can be your dad :P
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

LoL, not even close :kinggreen:
Spain pain train is real
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01

Post by amiggo1999 »

chronique wrote:
amiggo1999 wrote:I thinks overall the best/easiest way to go (with all civs) is to kill the closest hunt immediately (with 2-3 vills) and then just put one vill on each crate, and then shiftclick them to tc or to the ressource they shall gather next. There may be approaches that are 0.01% more efficient for specific civs, but overall I find that approach works very well. You can quickly build your tp that way (if your civ needs it).
Fun fact i don't like it with native civ because of shit vili animation . With iro i gather 100f and then kill the deer (i have the feeling that i loose 1 sec when i don't do that lol).
Rohbrot wrote:
I almost can be your dad :P
You won't lose time if you retask them after killing deer immediately. I more fear that if I don't directly kill a hunt, that if I kill them after gathering crates I will backherd them. While this shouldn't happen in normal scenarios (where you already gave shift-click commands), it will happen if your vills stand idle for a few secs after gathering crates.
Image Image