AOE3DE doesn't break your PC if you use Linux. Here is how you set both up!

Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

AOE3DE doesn't break your PC if you use Linux. Here is how you set both up!

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

Hey guys,
As we are all aware, AOE3DE is pretty much unplayable on Windows, thanks to bugs which cause the game to delete crucial and personal data.

Ok, so what about Linux?
Thanks to the fact that programs on Linux run on lower privileges than on Windows, as well as the game running in the context of a small folder which simulates the Windows File System, it's virtually impossible for issues in the game to seep outside of the game itself. At worst you would need to Verify Game Integrity, which will fix any missing files and similar issues.

What do I need for playing AOE3DE on Linux?
Very little, actually! You will need:
-A USB stick, to install Linux.
-AOE3DE purchased on Steam.
And that's it!

How do I install Linux?
It's pretty simple, actually. For starters, you should choose which Distro(Distribution) of Linux you want.
For the purposes of this guide, I will assume you chose Linux Mint, as it's very easy to set up and beginner-friendly.
1. Download Linux Mint from the official website. I recommend the Cinnamon version personally, but if your PC is on the lower end, consider MATE.
Important note, Linux Mint is completely free of charge!
2. Using a program like Balena Etcher, burn the ISO file you downloaded onto the USB stick. It's advised to remove any files that are already on the USB.
3. After you are done with that, boot from the USB stick. Look up "*your PC's model* boot from USB" if you aren't sure how to do it. Generally it comes down to pressing a specific F key to select boot device.
4. Select to boot up Linux Mint, and you will be greeted with a simple Desktop with the option to install Linux Mint on the top left. You can use this opportunity to look around Linux Mint and get a feel for it before you install.
5. Click to install Linux Mint. The procedure itself should be very simple, all you need to do is to select some simple things like Language, your Username/Password etc.
6. One exception lies in whether or not you want to have both Windows and Linux on the same HDD/SSD, or have only Linux on it.
6.1. If you want the latter, just click to install Linux Mint on the selected drive. This will also delete all data on the drive. If you have multiple Drives, it's a good idea to move all important data to one drive and install Linux Mint on the other. Linux Mint can use all drives without issue, so you aren't obligated to have Windows to access the storage drive.
6.2. If you want to have both Linux Mint and Windows on the same drive, then I suggest following this simple dual-boot guide
7. It's a good idea to check "install third party programs" especially if you plan to use Mint regularly. If you haven't, it's not a problem as all the programs you would need are easily available through the Software Manager.
8. Once the installation is done, reboot the PC and boot into your shiny new Linux Mint!

Alright, I now have Linux Mint. How do I play AOE3DE?
1. First and foremost, run an update. It's always good to keep everything up to date, and assuming your connection is decent, it will be a brief process, taking at most 10 minutes(Often it's done for me in under a minute). Open the Start Menu, run the Update Manager, Install Updates.
Screenshot from 2020-10-30 19-50-05.png
2. Install Steam. Open the Software Manager, which is the Linux Mint equivalent of an App Store where everything is free and actually decent. Search for Steam, and install it!
Screenshot from 2020-10-30 19-53-21.png
3. Log onto Steam.
4. Install Proton via Steam, which is a program that lets us run AOE3DE. Go to Steam -> Settings -> Steam Play. You want the options to look like this, aiming to have the newest possible Proton version.
Screenshot from 2020-10-30 19-57-00.png
5. When you press OK, Proton will be installed. Once it's done, install AOE3DE.
6. Play!

What issues can I expect, running the game like this?
For the most part, none that you won't have using Windows. If you see a pop-up regarding a missing encoder, don't worry as the game will run with no issue. Just click Attempt to Run.

And that's pretty much it! Enjoy your fresh Linux Mint and smooth gameplay of Age of Empires 3: Definitive Edition!
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Re: AOE3DE doesn't break your PC if you use Linux. Here is how you set both up!

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Nice marketing for Linux ,is Linux any better than Windows? Good write up though anyways!
:nwc:
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon

Challenger_Marco wrote:Nice marketing for Linux ,is Linux any better than Windows? Good write up though anyways!
In many ways, it's better than Windows.
-Faster
-Lighter
-Completely free
-Much less possibility of catching a virus
-For the average user, everything has a Linux version, can run via Wine or has an equal, if not better, Linux-compatible alternative. And Steam games run easily thanks to Proton, for which you can easily check how well each game runs and if/how to fix it so it works nicely here
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

@ShinkuroYukinari It's not really "free" because it eats up my free time trying to install it. Also change your avatar
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon

fightinfrenchman wrote:Also change your avatar
Nah, I like this one :mrgreen:
Netherlands Vafurx
Crossbow
Donator 02

Post by Vafurx »

All these people who think the bug is a chance to sell Linux :ugly:
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Vafurx wrote:All these people who think the bug is a chance to sell Linux :ugly:
"Sell" Linux.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

ShinkuroYukinari wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:Also change your avatar
Nah, I like this one :mrgreen:
I didn't ask!
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands Vafurx
Crossbow
Donator 02

Post by Vafurx »

chris1089 wrote:
Vafurx wrote:All these people who think the bug is a chance to sell Linux :ugly:
"Sell" Linux.
Propagandize then. Suddenly the Linux promotion is everywhere: in the AoE discord, on the official forums and even here. As if Windows is the root cause of this problem. Re-installing your complete OS doesn't seem the most logical advice to me if you want to make this year's most bugged game playable.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Sorry but no one is gonna install Linux because of this stupid mistake on their side which will be fixed soon anyway.
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon

aaryngend wrote:Sorry but no one is gonna install Linux because of this stupid mistake on their side which will be fixed soon anyway.
We don't know when they will fix it and if they won't mess up something else in the process. It's good to play it safe and use an OS that is immune to these screw-ups, especially when the setup process is so simple.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

ShinkuroYukinari wrote:
aaryngend wrote:Sorry but no one is gonna install Linux because of this stupid mistake on their side which will be fixed soon anyway.
We don't know when they will fix it and if they won't mess up something else in the process. It's good to play it safe and use an OS that is immune to these screw-ups, especially when the setup process is so simple.
Not so simple and this is not like changing your GPU from Nvidia to AMD. A lot of things are just so different in Linux, people are creatures of habit.
This is not a little slipup, this is huge, they will make sure to fix this ASAP.
The whole product is useless if it fucks up the computers of people.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

chris1089 wrote:
"Sell" Linux.
It is a thing if you didnt know
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon

aaryngend wrote:
ShinkuroYukinari wrote:
Not so simple and this is not like changing your GPU from Nvidia to AMD. A lot of things are just so different in Linux, people are creatures of habit.
This is not a little slipup, this is huge, they will make sure to fix this ASAP.
The whole product is useless if it fucks up the computers of people.
This is why I suggested Linux Mint, as it was very much designed to give Windows users an easy transition to Linux.
Personally I got used to Linux within hours as a former Windows user, since the only thing a new user needs to know immediately are Software Manager and Update Manager, and there is an easily followable guide for pretty much anything nowadays, made by fellow Linux users who wanna help others out.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Nice of you, it's probably better indeed - I wouldn't know. But this is not an issue I want to or should have to fix myself, they are multi-billion company and those game developers should be professionals. They need to make that game work, not me, the dumb user who just wants to enjoy some dorky BOs.
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

Not gonna lie this made me try out linux, just because the screens of linux mint look so sleek, and finally made me do some research and understand, that these wierd "ubuntu" and other programms are just linux variants x)

Installing Linux was easy as fuck tbh, it is literally just --> download an ISO, burn it on an USB, plug it in and click install. (Just as described above).

Also the concept of having a portable OS/Computer on an USB is just ridiculously funny to me.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

the only problem with this now is that as far as I remember, Nvidia drivers for linux are less then optimal
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Who wants to bother with Linux just to play an extremely buggy game? Just wait for them to make it playable. The data loss is only the most critical of a bunch of critical issues, and it will all get fixed eventually.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

Well i mean i am not trying it for aoe but just because i am being curious. And yeah apparently nvidias drivers still are not optimal from what i read.
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

You forgot the part:
-When one update breaks your whole game search google for codes to copy paste in command lines. Download install configure 213 things and hope when next update come you dont need repeat whole process again.
-Prepare your unban request email which you will send to microsoft when they ban your account using not supported software causing them issues.
-Prepare for big breaks which accours when you dont find any codes to copy paste on forums after an update breaks the game.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

@Dsy ?
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon

scarm wrote:Not gonna lie this made me try out linux, just because the screens of linux mint look so sleek, and finally made me do some research and understand, that these wierd "ubuntu" and other programms are just linux variants x)

Installing Linux was easy as fuck tbh, it is literally just --> download an ISO, burn it on an USB, plug it in and click install. (Just as described above).

Also the concept of having a portable OS/Computer on an USB is just ridiculously funny to me.
Glad ya tried it out, and welcome to Linux!
Yea, it's actually surprisingly common among people who wanna feel secure when using a pc, or simply carry everything they need in a very simple package.
helln00 wrote:the only problem with this now is that as far as I remember, Nvidia drivers for linux are less then optimal
Nvidia Linux Graphics drivers are proprietary, only worked on by Nvidia itself, hence updates on it are slowed. For AMD, they are open-source and often built into Linux itself, making it easy to set it up. Not so much suboptimal from Nvidia, but simply slow on updates.
Dsy wrote:You forgot the part:
-When one update breaks your whole game search google for codes to copy paste in command lines. Download install configure 213 things and hope when next update come you dont need repeat whole process again.
-Prepare your unban request email which you will send to microsoft when they ban your account using not supported software causing them issues.
-Prepare for big breaks which accours when you dont find any codes to copy paste on forums after an update breaks the game.
-You can easily revert to an older Proton version in case an update messes things up, and if not the guides can usually be boiled down to copypasting 2-3 lines into terminal and you're set
-That pretty much only happens in cases when a game uses a Kernel-level anti-cheat, which is an intrusive piece of software that behaves like it owns the system to prevent cheats. Not to mention that Wine, the program Proton relies on, will soon receive updates to help out with these anticheats raising red flags when meeting Proton.
-Never happened to me, ever.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Linux : a true story.
https://xkcd.com/456/
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

@ShinkuroYukinari hey, can you tell me in which directory can I look for the save file on linux mint?
for reference on W10 it is saved in the following directory (where HARCHA is my user account name):
path.png
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Mongolia badger_prince
Musketeer
ESO: badger_prince

Post by badger_prince »

May depend on the distribution used, but:
Attachments
linux-steam-save example.png