Units Can Turn Into Gates

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher
ESO: onfiregun17

Units Can Turn Into Gates

Post by onfiregun17 »

If you put the following bit of code into your user.con file in the "Startup" folder, apparently it lets you transform most units into gates. Have you ever wanted to turn your explorer, villagers, or musketeers into gates? Well now's your chance! Enjoy!
spoiler

Code: Select all

map ("g", "game", "uiTransformSelectedUnit(\"CWallGate\")")
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: Units Can Turn Into Gates

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Subliminal messaging from BIll Gates I presume
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Plandemic
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

if you can do this within enemy base area I might want to do it.

Hilarious but just kiding...

ya know in RE if you made a wall but did not build it, you can upgrade the segment into a gate, and a gate will form with zero HP?
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

This doesn't seem to work? @onfiregun17
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher

Post by onfiregun17 »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:if you can do this within enemy base area I might want to do it.
It might actually be viable to transform some units into gates while in someone's base, as it could protect falc, etc.
ya know in RE if you made a wall but did not build it, you can upgrade the segment into a gate, and a gate will form with zero HP?
Yeah that's still an issue in DE as well. If you don't finish building the wall segment and transform it into a gate it's a zero HP unit that you spent 50 wood on but the enemy can still walk through.
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher

Post by onfiregun17 »

Mitoe wrote:This doesn't seem to work? @onfiregun17
Weird, I just tried it on two computers both online and in single player and it's still working for me. Maybe it's because I added the user.con file in "%userprofile%\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Startup\" instead of the Steam directory? Here's a screenshot of me turning my explorer and 2 vills into gates.
20201031202133_1.jpg
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

onfiregun17 wrote:
Weird, I just tried it on two computers both online and in single player and it's still working for me. Maybe it's because I added the user.con file in "%userprofile%\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Startup\" instead of the Steam directory? Here's a screenshot of me turning my explorer and 2 vills into gates.
20201031202133_1.jpg
I did the same thing but can't seem to reproduce this bug. Is the code correct?

Edit: that also doesn't seem to be the correct filepath. For me it's <user>/Games/Age of Empires 3 DE/Startup. Yours seems to be possibly for the old game or maybe you just wrote it incorrectly?

Edit2: a user.con file also doesn't even work for me, but user.cfg does work (not for this bug, was testing +nointrocinematics)
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

:hmm: ok I changed the hotkey to "n" and now it seems to work, but you kinda have to button mash it?
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher

Post by onfiregun17 »

Mitoe wrote:
onfiregun17 wrote:
20201031202133_1.jpg
I did the same thing but can't seem to reproduce this bug. Is the code correct?

Edit: that also doesn't seem to be the correct filepath. For me it's <user>/Games/Age of Empires 3 DE/Startup. Yours seems to be possibly for the old game or maybe you just wrote it incorrectly?

Edit2: a user.con file also doesn't even work for me, but user.cfg does work (not for this bug, was testing +nointrocinematics)
Yeah looks like I wrote the directory path for legacy by accident, it should've been "%userprofile%\Games\Age of Empires 3 DE\string of numbers\Startup". But I also tested with the Startup folder in "Steam\steamapps\common\AoE3DE\Startup" and was still able to reproduce it. Not sure why you can't... Are you units not too close to anything else, you have 50 wood for the gate, and you're pressing G?

edit: just saw your other post, it seems like you just have hotkey conflicts. this game doesn't handle those well :P
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

Ah, the obstruction is why it doesn't work. Nvm. I just never moved any of my units.
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher

Post by onfiregun17 »

@Mitoe yeah that would also do it. Glad to see someone else can reproduce this. Was worried for a second that I somehow ported moesbar over into DE but it only worked for me
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

onfiregun17 wrote:@Mitoe yeah that would also do it. Glad to see someone else can reproduce this. Was worried for a second that I somehow ported moesbar over into DE but it only worked for me
Test if it works in multiplayer?
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher

Post by onfiregun17 »

Mitoe wrote:
onfiregun17 wrote:@Mitoe yeah that would also do it. Glad to see someone else can reproduce this. Was worried for a second that I somehow ported moesbar over into DE but it only worked for me
Test if it works in multiplayer?
Already tested that it works in multiplayer. I actually discovered this when I accidentally turned my explorer into a gate during a 2v2 earlier. :hehe:
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

Ah. That sounds tragic, haha
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

onfiregun17 wrote:
howlingwolfpaw wrote:if you can do this within enemy base area I might want to do it.
It might actually be viable to transform some units into gates while in someone's base, as it could protect falc, etc.
Yeah that's still an issue in DE as well. If you don't finish building the wall segment and transform it into a gate it's a zero HP unit that you spent 50 wood on but the enemy can still walk through.

oh i never realized people could still walk through them, I thought it would just take 1 hit to kill. Obviously not much use to this either way.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Imagine you’re about to raid 20 enemy villagers on a mine but then they all turn into gates
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

There should be a feature on ESOC where when a bunch of people are posting in one thread you can force them to post in another one instead, preferably one that is more interesting.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I'm not sure what to do with this information.
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Post by japanesegeneral »

I am not if it is a bug, i am more convinced it is a hack (probably not a useful one). Why did you try this @onfiregun17?
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

I mean its more of a mod, someone upload this into the mod browser.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Can you do the same thing to turn your explorer into a different unit ? That may quickly become a problem...
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:Can you do the same thing to turn your explorer into a different unit ? That may quickly become a problem...
Two explorers fighting.

suddenly one turns into ninja.

sneak assasination
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

It's not a bug, just Microsoft prepares use for the next update, where you will be able to use... god power!!!
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

japanesegeneral wrote:I am not if it is a bug, i am more convinced it is a hack (probably not a useful one). Why did you try this @onfiregun17?
Either way it shouldn't be possible to just add a line of code and change unit behaviour.

If you can do that (which btw sounds quite lame), I'm afraid you can do more... I'll add this to my next update of the bug list
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..