Spreadsheets are cool

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Great Britain Donye
Musketeer
ESO: Pink Charr

Spreadsheets are cool

Post by Donye »

Hey guys,

So before I go and reinvent the wheel, I ask the question: Does anybody have a sheets/excel doc with villager income per second and card impact that can be dynamically adjusted based on user needs?

Very vague and probably poorly worded question I know.

I've been really enjoying Portugal land (Thanks to a certain @deleted_user5 ) and currently I 10/10 age 1 and don't send cards until age 2. However I would love to understand the impact of not doing this particular strat via numbers and would love to see the wiggle room around it.

I appreciate there are a lot of variables here, further complicated by civ nuances (eg, 10/10, japanese/china chopping wood, india full wood vills, dutch coin, russia batches, crate starts etc) so my framework will be built around ports.

I'm not asking for an answer like "Don''t play Ports land" or "Just do xyz it's meta" I'm curious to understand the impact and degress of variance. I'm a data analyst IRL and love this kinda stuff so I'm really interested in understanding the figures and interacting with them dynamically with stress tests to see how they react in order to maximise performance.

If no one has anything handy (no matter how bastardised) then I will put something together myself, but thought there was no harm in asking anyway :D (Yes I understand any figures will be "best case scenario" and petri dish esque, I'm not interested in absolutes but more the relational variances)

/passionate rant about spreadsheets and data.

Thanks,

Pink Charr
Canada Cocaine
Lancer
ESO: Cow God

Re: Spreadsheets are cool

Post by Cocaine »

Hi! I will legit want the same excel spread sheet. As you may know me from my recent post about sending trickles instead of villigers cards.. And the infamous "cocaine economic theory which tried to prove that mills and plantations gather faster than hunts and mines in age 3-4 after sending ALL the eco cards)" of the year 2015 I think. I would love this spread sheet so I can do my own theoretical studies

Im solely looking for French civ data. I dont play any other civ
A little Cocaine never hurt nobody!

Great Britain thomasgreen6
Lancer
ESO: Thomasgreen6

Post by thomasgreen6 »

There used to be a spreadsheet around that told you the gather rates of everything (boats etc included). I'll try to find it but no promises, although I did find the recs of every WCG game when people said that they didn't exist anymore...
'I'm gonna win this and I'm just gonna enjoy it' - Tibia 2k18

http://www.Twitch.tv/thomasgreen6
Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

thomasgreen6 wrote:There used to be a spreadsheet around that told you the gather rates of everything (boats etc included). I'll try to find it but no promises, although I did find the recs of every WCG game when people said that they didn't exist anymore...
Thomas in you I trust. Find them for me please. I will paypal you 5$ canadian I swear to jesus.

European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

thomasgreen6 wrote:There used to be a spreadsheet around that told you the gather rates of everything (boats etc included). I'll try to find it but no promises, although I did find the recs of every WCG game when people said that they didn't exist anymore...
What where? People say they don't exist anymore because they used to be available on the official website for quite a long time (every game, every WCG year, etc.), then it got taken down along with the replays hosted on it.
If you found a private forum or blog where some person archived them personally.. well that is cool then :smile:
Immer her damit! As the germans say :flowers:
Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

Bro no offense but how hard was it to just google this? Legit. I just googled it and got these. Next time just use that brain please.

https://wiki.eso-community.net/Gathering_Rates

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/for ... 32509,0,10

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/for ... 36830,0,10

Great Britain Donye
Musketeer

Post by Donye »

Cocaine wrote:Bro no offense but how hard was it to just google this? Legit. I just googled it and got these. Next time just use that brain please.

Who were you talking to with this btw? Lots of useful data though that I can build in
Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

Donye wrote:
Cocaine wrote:Bro no offense but how hard was it to just google this? Legit. I just googled it and got these. Next time just use that brain please.

Who were you talking to with this btw? Lots of useful data though that I can build in

Legit all of you. Glad I can help :)

Great Britain Donye
Musketeer

Post by Donye »

Cocaine wrote:
Donye wrote:

Legit all of you. Glad I can help :)
I mean, I was planning on googling the gather rates myself, just thought I'd ask if anyone had any infrastructure set up before I went and created it myself.

Saved me a click though, ta
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

The heavengames pages are outdated, use the wiki one. I also have the spreadsheet Thomas is talking about but it's also outdated.

Btw, the wiki page is for RE, not DE.
Great Britain Donye
Musketeer

Post by Donye »

edeholland wrote:The heavengames pages are outdated, use the wiki one. I also have the spreadsheet Thomas is talking about but it's also outdated.

This is very useful context, thank you!
Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

edeholland wrote:The heavengames pages are outdated, use the wiki one. I also have the spreadsheet Thomas is talking about but it's also outdated.

I legit never goin on DE. Re is where I’ll die.

Lancer

Post by thomasgreen6 »

aaryngend wrote:
What where? People say they don't exist anymore because they used to be available on the official website for quite a long time (every game, every WCG year, etc.), then it got taken down along with the replays hosted on it.
If you found a private forum or blog where some person archived them personally.. well that is cool then :smile:
Immer her damit! As the germans say :flowers:
Hi @aaryngend I posted them on here in January 2019. Hope this helps! - Immer her damit!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16363

Lancer

Post by thomasgreen6 »

Cocaine wrote:
Thomas in you I trust. Find them for me please. I will paypal you 5$ canadian I swear to jesus.
Looks like Ede has already answered your question. No need to offer me $5 :)

No Flag Yossua
Crossbow
ESO: Fischer

Post by Yossua »

Nice info! thx!

Do you know if the same exists for upgrades of military units?
Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

I would assume that it would exist on the wiki eso page.. BUT.. If it doesnt then you can make your own maybe. Doing one for military units would be more time consuming since there is just so much more units.. and so many more upgrades. (cards arsenal yolo)

Plus you got to consider attack styles = Range hand arti.. Anti ship.. Anti building. Siedge.. Not to mention bonuses such as light infrantry vs dragoons.. Or dragoons vs cav type of thing SOOO THAT BEING SAID I can most certainly guarantee there is no such spread sheet yet lol you can be the first.

Germany AndiAOE
Skirmisher
ESO: mk8by8bcity

Post by AndiAOE »

If someone does some spreadsheets tell me please :D otherwise i would do it at some point.
Great Britain Donye
Musketeer

Post by Donye »

AndiAOE wrote:If someone does some spreadsheets tell me please :D otherwise i would do it at some point.
I'm going to be putting something together. No ETA as it depends on my work schedule. (We're rammed atm) So last thing I wanna do when staring at spreadsheets all day is to come home and stare at a spreadsheet haha.

I'm going to be tinkering with it here and there. Saying that, I couldn't sleep last night so I began to work on it then. Will keep you posted.
Great Britain Donye
Musketeer

Post by Donye »

So a wee little update, this is the kinda idea that I'm going for.

General concept as you will hopefully see, is that I want to see the impact of various starts, cards and timings with Ports. I've not tested any of the figures (I've not built all the table calcs yet) The below are what I would like to test:
  • -- 10/10 TP Start
    -- 10/10 Market Hunting Dogs
    -- 15/16/w/e Port can age normally with
    -- 15/16/w/e Port can age normally with TP start, chop wood
    -- 15/16/w/e Port can age normally with Market Start Hunting dogs
    -- Plus more
Main understanding I'm looking for is timing to hit Age 2, Exp and Cards available and resources gathered.

I will add in Cards (eg Furrirer, eco theory) that can affect gather rates and timings too.

Potential future improvements:
  • -- Expand to Age 2 to include impact of Politicians (I'm particularly interested in 2settler 2 cow vs 500 food vs 400 wood)
    -- Expand to other civs
I am building a Source table so I can keep an eye on wikis/reference my figures if and when they change. I will build tables for Cards, Market Upgrades, Politicians, Civ Vill costs and resources if I decide to expand it to other Civs.

Obviously I have not factored in treasures, vill idle time, walking distance, human error, exploring FOW for TP placement, and more. As I said, I just wanted to see the relative impact that different vill, card and building starts have.

Anyhoo, feedback welcome and please be patient as I'm just tinkering this along in my spare time.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Wait don't ports start with 7 vills ?
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Great Britain Donye
Musketeer

Post by Donye »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:Wait don't ports start with 7 vills ?
hahahaha probably an oversight from me. It was late T_T
Germany AndiAOE
Skirmisher
ESO: mk8by8bcity

Post by AndiAOE »

Donye wrote:So a wee little update, this is the kinda idea that I'm going for.

General concept as you will hopefully see, is that I want to see the impact of various starts, cards and timings with Ports. I've not tested any of the figures (I've not built all the table calcs yet) The below are what I would like to test:
  • -- 10/10 TP Start
    -- Plus more
Main understanding I'm looking for is timing to hit Age 2, Exp and Cards available and resources gathered.

I will add in Cards (eg Furrirer, eco theory) that can affect gather rates and timings too.

• -- Expand to Age 2 to include impact of Politicians (I'm particularly interested in 2settler 2 cow vs 500 food vs 400 wood)
    -- Expand to other civs
I am building a Source table so I can keep an eye on wikis/reference my figures if and when they change. I will build tables for Cards, Market Upgrades, Politicians, Civ Vill costs and resources if I decide to expand it to other Civs.

Obviously I have not factored in treasures, vill idle time, walking distance, human error, exploring FOW for TP placement, and more. As I said, I just wanted to see the relative impact that different vill, card and building starts have.

Anyhoo, feedback welcome and please be patient as I'm just tinkering this along in my spare time.
Nice! I am really interested if you continue to work on it :).

I have a video with a different, but similar Approach as well. Can give you the Spreadsheet to it, too just message me privately (I need to clean that one up first, it s filled with notes etc :D). So i want to do a follow up with the exact same questions you are asking. Would probably use your sheet as a base and give credit to you obviously :). I also can put in the stats for other civs.
Great Britain Donye
Musketeer

Post by Donye »

AndiAOE wrote:
Donye wrote:So a wee little update, this is the kinda idea that I'm going for.

• -- 10/10 TP Start
    -- Plus more

-- Expand to other civs

Nice! I am really interested if you continue to work on it :).

I have a video with a different, but similar Approach as well. Can give you the Spreadsheet to it, too just message me privately (I need to clean that one up first, it s filled with notes etc :D). So i want to do a follow up with the exact same questions you are asking. Would probably use your sheet as a base and give credit to you obviously :). I also can put in the stats for other civs.
Ooof, amazing. I watched your video and there is plenty of overlap! I love the visuals comparing other Civs as well and you did the most important thing which was clearly define your methodology.

I would be very interested in the sheet you currently have, I also don't mind working collaboratively with you on this. After all, two heads are better than one! I'll drop you a pm.
Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

I made my own sheet for FRENCH cours gather rates. Specifically each resource per second and the card/market bonuses. But what I did was disregard gameplay and just focus solely on gather rates given the different market and card upgrades. I will clean it up this coming week and post it here. But ultimately what I learnt is that gathering from plantations early game after a few card upgrades is the same as mines and better since there is no idle time between looking and walking for mines. AND gathering on mills is the same as hunts after 3 mill upgrade cards.. and the bonus is that you dont have to walk for hunts. AS FRENCH.

Great Britain Donye
Musketeer

Post by Donye »

Cocaine wrote:I made my own sheet for FRENCH cours gather rates. Specifically each resource per second and the card/market bonuses. But what I did was disregard gameplay and just focus solely on gather rates given the different market and card upgrades. I will clean it up this coming week and post it here. But ultimately what I learnt is that gathering from plantations early game after a few card upgrades is the same as mines and better since there is no idle time between looking and walking for mines. AND gathering on mills is the same as hunts after 3 mill upgrade cards.. and the bonus is that you dont have to walk for hunts. AS FRENCH.
Sounds good chief thank you.

And of course, happy to share my work once it's in a usable format. I will be working with the wonderful Andi too so won't be able to take all credit