Spain MU List

India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Spain MU List

Post by Challenger_Marco »

So I started to love DE Spain & playing them on ranked ladder but i don't have fulll knowledge of each MUs since i don't play them much.
I only know to Std Spain ff (forward tower/def ) ,piro ff (with halbs one also) ,Spain FI (with variations) ,ATP Spain FF.

I kinda wanted to do this as homework but realised it will take insane amount of time ,needing to play vs 15 other civs 2-3 times to get atleast some clear idea.Also think this will serve as a good input to new players & ppl wanting to get.

I know Spain as become popular and a lot of ppl are playing it & also sure not everyone would have faced other 15 civs yet so in combination of input from everyone i think this would be a very great information !

So please help me in completing & guiding me in this & thank you :flowers:

Vs Incas:
Spain counters Inca so this one should be easy because rods,pikes counter chimmus and skrims /lancers doing dps to his inf mass ,to clean his buildings get artillery & u win.
->Xbow/pikes Semi FI .
->If you play in age 3 send SG first then have a good mass of skrims/rods +lancers & push with 2 falcs.

G's thoughts:
Aggro FF or FI. Aggro FF is to use the tech advantage and don't give them time to age or start outplaying with raids, etc. FI is because you get so much stuff for free that you don't risk to get outplayed and also you threat to get a decisive tech advantage they can't match. Also Inca has hard time punishing it as you just turn the FI into FF if they go aggro. Most of times you can hold even with the semi FI and a a bit of walling.

Vs Spain:
In Spain mirror it's more about timing...be sure to macro perfectly and hit age 3 asap ,rushing doesn't work hence ff is better & it all comes down to who does better in age 3.
->Std Spain tower ff either aggro or defensive depending on situation can send Spanish Gold if you see his/made him do tower at base else send military shipments like 5 4 lancers/2 falcs.You will be making skrims from rax get dogs from explorer and a mix of skrims lancers rods & with micro decides the game.
->Fi might be viable if opponent isn't going full aggro FF.

Vs Brits:
One of the hardest mu for spain ,the brits eco always make their civ to have a lot of units so i think it's hard even if you somehow reached even age 3.Never do age 2 vs brits thats sucide.
->Xbow/pikes Semi FI ,I think this can work great because vs musks u get xbows to scare them off and ofc you need some walls so as to pro xbows falcs & some pikes to def it ,if you get to age 4 i think you can good chance ,eg from Soldier vs Garja game.

G's Thoughts:
Brits don't seem too hard for Spain on DE (and they weren't impossible on EP imo). I think you can even do colonial builds and be just fine. You don't have ups for your musks but you have better shipment rate so you easily get 7+6 rods after 700w 5v 700g 600w, while 2 raxing and eventually you can add unction missionaries. Musk semi FF is ok (especially now with 9 xbow age up it's basically impossible for Brits to break the fb if you send 7 rods in transition). FF for musk+lancers is probably fine. Eco FF with all possible variations is ok. ATP semi FF is ok. FI, semi FI, semi semi FI is also ok. Honestly can do w/e vs Brits and you should never be in a terrible spot.

Vs Azzy:
->FF should be safe for the most part. Can always do 15v --> 18v FF so it's hard to punish. Then you have a lot of stuff in age3. If Aztecs are more passive you might be able to go industrial.

Vs Russia:
This should be an easiest mu for spain ,another hard counter for russia so std ff into skrims +rods/lancers can also do SG.
->Std spain FF.
->Piro ff.

G's thoughts:
It depends on what Russia is doing. Standard rush is super easy to counter with either basic FF or even musk start + huss + unit shipment timing. Russia should either go mass ruskets with stagecoach or some sort of FF themselves, in which case Spain doesn't have a clear win but probably still has the upper hand until it gets to late game.

Vs China:
I think is a hard one if you go ff vs ff but if you pull out Indus stuff or revolt you might have chance.

G's Thoughts:
Both FF and FI work I think. I assume you can't break China with aggro FF (not sure tho, maybe musk+2falc+lancers puts enough pressure to give decisive advantage in the follow up) so FI might be the default strat.

Vs Fre:
One of the hardest MUs perhaps. The SG FF is fine, also classic eco FF with 8 pikes age up and early 2 falc is probably fine on some maps (like on NE you can hold tower with that and just contain French). The xbow stuff isn't super effective. Musk semi is probably fine (you go aggro to force Fre making musks themselves, then not having fast age up is not big deal with xbow age up + training units in transition). ATP strats probably fine, TP+schooner FF probably fine.

Vs Germany:
This mu is spain favoured,skrims rods just dunks germany along with lancers + 2 falcs.

G's Thoughts:
It's similar to French, except naked eco FF is maybe a bit worse because of the free ulhans in colonial (which make for a more annoying semi than a 5 huss one). Xbow/pikes FI feels more effective somehow.

Vs Japan:
This depends a bit on how good the opponent is. Standard FF with musk/falc/lancer is intuitively good
->Std ff into musks +lancers + 2 falcs.
->If he does club rush with ashsi prolly send CM and make some xbows.

Vs India:
->Not an easy MU for Spain. Even just mass sepoy in colonial can be tough for Spain FF, while SG eco FF gives time to India to age up. FI might be interesting but I'm not sure it's that great vs India.

Vs Lakota:
->Can do many things vs Sioux. Basic HI rush is probably fine if Sioux doesn't adapt well. Xbow/pike rush is probably ok (even if Sioux adapts well it's not granted win). Musk semi should be fine. FF should be fine. Just make sure to not die to Sioux units in the fortress age by picking bad fights. Shouldn't really try to attack unless it's some sort of very all in FF (which I don't think works in the end ). Fish boom FF or semi FF should be ok. ATP FF is probably ok if you get multiple TPs.

Vs Iro:
->Standard FF with SG should be fine, also other variations of FF (Don't aggro FF unless they try to rush). Xbow/pike FI is probably fine too but get a good defense in early age3.

Vs Dutch:
A good mu for spain i think std ff with skrims ,lancers ,rods works.
->Either aggressive FF with skirm+pike/rods+2 falcs + lancers or ATP or SG FFs. Going eco war vs Dutch isn't great imo becuase Dutch tend to outlast and always have the upper hand in the skirm war too but with ATP or SG you can fight long enough to get unction and occasionally lancer switch can win the game too. FI is an option too but I think Dutch can deal with that just fine (mostly going industrial themselves at some point).

Vs Ports:
->Spain nukes Ports ,traditional stuff should still be fine, but also xbow/pike FI.

Vs Swedes:
->Aggressive musk start or even 2 rax xbow should be ok. Musk semi should be ok. xbow/pike FI should be ok. Eco FF in base should be ok but then you risk to get outplayed as you move out on the map. ATP FF maybe better.
->Piro FF.

Vs Otto:
->Just FF and play safe, you should get the upper hand at some point. It's harder if Otto goes for some stagecoach semi. Vs 2rax jan all in now you don't even need CM anymore as you always age at 18/20 pop no problem with 8xbows. Might even skip the starting market in this MU just to speed up everything.

Glossary:

SG:Spanish gold ,a shipment in age 3.
Std ff:Aging with tower+200c to age 2 & aging with 4huss/8 pikes ,Note you can also age with xbows if he makes musks type units only & also became common sending SG in age 3.
Xbow/pike FI:Doing the same thing as std ff except you age with 8pikes/xbows to age 3 and to age 4 the guard ups for them.
MU:Match up

Credits:
Thanks to Garja ,Hazza ,diarouga,poisson,Flontier.
All these people in the list are very good at the game & well experienced ,pro players :flowers:

Any recordings/replays/vods posted will be helpful :flowers:
I will edit this post once more when info about the MUs are posted on this thread & keep it updated
:nwc:
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Re: Official Spain MU List

Post by lemmings121 »

I think you should ff into Spanish gold a lot more
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

lemmings121 wrote:I think you should ff into Spanish gold a lot more
Yeah i do that all time whenever possible just want to have a clear idea when clicking into MU.
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

I have a big spanish guide in developpement but idk if i have the motivation right now for it ^^
(piro ff is garbage most of the time)
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

chronique wrote:I have a big spanish guide in developpement but idk if i have the motivation right now for it ^^
(piro ff is garbage most of the time)
I can help you ,much interested !
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Vs Inca you should play agressively imo. Spanish gold or FI sound too greedy.

Vs Spain : piro ff is shit. I guess FI could work but it shouldn't work

Vs Aztecs : FI won't ever work lol, you'll die to the pike rush. You should go for a very fast ff and then timing to kill Aztec

Vs Japan : Why the fuck would you send CM ? lmao
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

Vs Japan : Why the fuck would you send CM ? lmao
Idk just a thought i see that musks+cm +dogs doesn't work (watched it live) and tc goes down so prolly make it tankier by sending CM or maybe go xbows when doing naked ff?
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

[Armag] diarouga wrote: Vs Japan : Why the fuck would you send CM ? lmao
Club rush isnt holdable otherwise, when going for ff.
Spain pain train is real
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

WHATS SO OFFICIAL ABOUT THIS ROHBROT DIDNT MAKE IT
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

I think you can FI vs china now.

FI vs brit is super garbage with spain, peaple sadly give too much impotance on one game just because she look amazing, but if brit play standar (mousket pressure into cav) you will face 40 mousk 20 cav when hiting age 4, glhf with 8 guard xbow 2 falc 5 dog

edit : club rush is 100% holdable, it's not super strong, it's supose to denie the agro ff but you can put tower in base and mousk + mm + unit from your age are absolutly enough to deal with.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

chronique wrote:I think you can FI vs china now.

FI vs brit is super garbage with spain, peaple sadly give too much impotance on one game just because she look amazing, but if brit play standar (mousket pressure into cav) you will face 40 mousk 20 cav when hiting age 4, glhf with 8 guard xbow 2 falc 5 dog

edit : club rush is 100% holdable, it's not super strong, it's supose to denie the agro ff but you can put tower in base and mousk + mm + unit from your age are absolutly enough to deal with.
It isnt holdable when your opponent is a pro player of japenese.
Spain pain train is real
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

How that not holdable? there are better civ for rush than japan and with 8 xbow it's prob super ez ^^.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Ye, super easy to hold a club rush lol.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

chronique wrote:How that not holdable? there are better civ for rush than japan and with 8 xbow it's prob super ez ^^.
He has like 8clubs and back to back 5ashi batches with sending 2x5 ashi vs you with a tower that goes down quick and u have shitty 9bow whom cant kite against ashi.
Spain pain train is real
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

I definitely understand that u guys didnt face a pro club rush from japan. You wont have pop space to train any units when he arrives and dog+mm doesnt do shit against ashi+monk+club.
Spain pain train is real
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

Rohbrot wrote:
chronique wrote:How that not holdable? there are better civ for rush than japan and with 8 xbow it's prob super ez ^^.
He has like 8clubs and back to back 5ashi batches with sending 2x5 ashi vs you with a tower that goes down quick and u have shitty 9bow whom cant kite against ashi.
8 xbow + mm + tc + mousk (but not sure you need mousk) and 5 lancer on the way. Tbh i am not sure club rush are viable, it's super expensive for japan (he can't realy boom). Maybe on map with middle tp only but not sure about that.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

U cant train musk cuz ur vills idled and no pop space. 5 lancer doesnt do much against 15ashi under tc sadly.
Spain pain train is real
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

chronique wrote:
Rohbrot wrote:
8 xbow + mm + tc + mousk (but not sure you need mousk) and 5 lancer on the way. Tbh i am not sure club rush are viable, it's super expensive for japan (he can't realy boom). Maybe on map with middle tp only but not sure about that.
Well if you face against optimus_prime you will get to know around your rank ,x2 300w age 1 take a tp ,then cons in trans ally with japan make 13 clubs age with toshugu wonder ofc ,5 ashis ,1 daimyo ,5 ashis and constant ashsi batches of 5.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

I was referring to prince but optimoose is ok also.
Spain pain train is real
United States of America randerzbobanderz
Musketeer
ESO: RandyBobandy

Post by randerzbobanderz »

Is Spain really a hard counter for Russia? I think Russia does fine vs a spain FF if they go age 3 and mass infantry and send 2 falcs. Rods and pikes are pretty weak against Russia i think.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

randerzbobanderz wrote:Is Spain really a hard counter for Russia? I think Russia does fine vs a spain FF if they go age 3 and mass infantry and send 2 falcs. Rods and pikes are pretty weak against Russia i think.
If Russia plays passive like that you end up giving TP line to Spain and just aggro tower will destroy you or with SG play it slow and have big deathball & win.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

randerzbobanderz wrote:Is Spain really a hard counter for Russia? I think Russia does fine vs a spain FF if they go age 3 and mass infantry and send 2 falcs. Rods and pikes are pretty weak against Russia i think.
@[Armag] diarouga
Spain pain train is real
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

I think it's a complicated MU for both civs ye. Thats Spain favoured but that's definitely a MU Russia can win imo.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

Yeah by Counter/easy mu meaning not a free 100% win rate but more than 50% for sure like 60% ,def the other civ can win though but you have more chances :flowers:
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

vs russia it's spain favor but russian can outplay (like a massive surround)