Poker

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Investing and Personal Finance

Post by don_artie »

anyway i'll give help to anyone that wants it that is already somewhat invested into it, ask me about hands, what to do in a spot etc, not gonna do questions like 'how to win bro' haha
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: Investing and Personal Finance

Post by gibson »

I feel like being patient is the key when it comes to poker( and one reason why I suck)
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

gibson wrote:I feel like being patient is the key when it comes to poker( and one reason why I suck)
Can confirm, just translated 10k play coins to 14k until I went all in and lost everything. Had a KQ hand though ...

@don_artie is the HM2/3 HUD useful for Zoom NL2k games where you constantly have new opponents? I found it more distracting than useful, most of the info was about opponents.
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon

Post by don_artie »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
gibson wrote:I feel like being patient is the key when it comes to poker( and one reason why I suck)
Can confirm, just translated 10k play coins to 14k until I went all in and lost everything. Had a KQ hand though ...

@don_artie is the HM2/3 HUD useful for Zoom NL2k games where you constantly have new opponents? I found it more distracting than useful, most of the info was about opponents.
just disable the hud, it's more for analysing hands later. nl2k is 10/20, goodspeed was talking nl2 which is 0.01/0.02
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

On zoom tables, pretty sure you can just play your cards.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

don_artie wrote:2nl is fine too, basically felt like for both 5nl and 2nl the results wont have an impact so might as well learn in a bit more competitive game. Pokertracker also fine, I just like hold em manager personally. I'm not big on reading so no literature recommendations. How is it going? What do you need help with? Do you have open ranges etc
It's hard to tell where the most room for improvement is tbh. If I knew, I'd watch some videos on that specific thing. That's probably what I need help with most: Figuring out what I need help with :P

Other than that, probably mostly post-flop stuff. I plucked pre-flop ranges from the internet and they seem to work fine.

So far I've had a lot of fun learning the game. It's a lot more interesting than it looks at first glance. First 10k hands I was clearly losing but learned some important lessons (like to fold blinds more, when not to cbet and to not necessarily instafold when a flop misses) and the trend seems to have reversed, but it's still a small sample so it could be variance.

Best hand so far has been flopping quads and 2 people going all in in front of me.
Worst beat was K7 with a K77 flop and the other guy showing up with KK.
No straight flush yet :(
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon

Post by don_artie »

Goodspeed wrote:
don_artie wrote:2nl is fine too, basically felt like for both 5nl and 2nl the results wont have an impact so might as well learn in a bit more competitive game. Pokertracker also fine, I just like hold em manager personally. I'm not big on reading so no literature recommendations. How is it going? What do you need help with? Do you have open ranges etc
It's hard to tell where the most room for improvement is tbh. If I knew, I'd watch some videos on that specific thing. That's probably what I need help with most: Figuring out what I need help with :P

Other than that, probably mostly post-flop stuff. I plucked fre-flop ranges from the internet and they seem to work fine.

So far I've had a lot of fun learning the game. It's a lot more interesting than it looks at first glance. First 10k hands I was clearly losing but learned some important lessons (like to fold blinds more, when not to cbet and to not necessarily instafold when a flop misses) and the trend seems to have reversed, but it's still a small sample so it could be variance.

Best hand so far has been flopping quads and 2 people going all in in front of me.
Worst beat was K7 with a K77 flop and the other guy showing up with KK.
No straight flush yet :(
Alright I see. How are 3 bet pots going (as 3better and against a 3bet)? Do you want bb defend ranges? Do you ever call preflop when not in the big blind? Do you know what a range adv is? Do you know what bet sizes to pick on which board textures and why?
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon

Post by don_artie »

I'll give an example question. You are utg/lowjack (same thing in a 6 max game), and find a hand in your opening range, you decide to raise 2.5x (i use 2.2 but doesnt matter much), the big blind defends (he calls). The flop is a92r (r stands for rainbow meaning no direct flushdraw). The big blind checks, now what do you do? There is 5.5bb in the pot
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

don_artie wrote:I'll give an example question. You are utg/lowjack (same thing in a 6 max game), and find a hand in your opening range, you decide to raise 2.5x (i use 2.2 but doesnt matter much), the big blind defends (he calls). The flop is a92r (r stands for rainbow meaning no direct flushdraw). The big blind checks, now what do you do? There is 5.5bb in the pot
Check. As lowjack you have a better position than big blind if I'm not mistaken, the big blind has to defend against your raise and the fact that he did so means that he thinks his cards are better.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Bet 1/3 pot

I don't know how 3-bet pots are going. Don't have access to the data rn but also the sample is probably too small to draw any conclusions, especially since my strategy is constantly changing still.
But let's say they're going poorly. What would be your tip(s)?

I sometimes call preflop when not in bb, when my hand is too good to fold but not in 3-bet range. Is that wrong?
(I'm not super clear on 3-bet ranges but I have some idea, and am not really interested in optimizing on that level yet)
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon

Post by don_artie »

Goodspeed wrote:Bet 1/3 pot

I don't know how 3-bet pots are going. Don't have access to the data rn but also the sample is probably too small to draw any conclusions, especially since my strategy is constantly changing still.

I sometimes call preflop when not in bb, when my hand is too good to fold but not in 3-bet range. Is that wrong?
(I'm not super clear on 3-bet ranges but I have some idea, and am not really interested in optimizing on that level yet)
Bet 1/3 is good yea, it's a little too big, but fine. Can you reason why this situation requires a small bet? And yea it's wrong to call in a low stakes game, here is a video on it

3bet pots are very important, so could be good to have a look at the data when you can
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Today's session went a lot better! I translated 10.000 play coins into 52.000 in roughly two hours before I stopped playing to do something else. Some lucky wins with people going mindlessly all in, I suppose that happens with play coins in small lobbies. Gonna play some more and understand some more theory before I get started with real money.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Today's session went a lot better! I translated 10.000 play coins into 52.000 in roughly two hours before I stopped playing to do something else. Some lucky wins with people going mindlessly all in, I suppose that happens with play coins in small lobbies. Gonna play some more and understand some more theory before I get started with real money.
Where are you playing?
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

chris1089 wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:Today's session went a lot better! I translated 10.000 play coins into 52.000 in roughly two hours before I stopped playing to do something else. Some lucky wins with people going mindlessly all in, I suppose that happens with play coins in small lobbies. Gonna play some more and understand some more theory before I get started with real money.
Where are you playing?
Pokerstars Zoom NLHE 50/100
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

don_artie wrote:

Bet 1/3 is good yea, it's a little too big, but fine. Can you reason why this situation requires a small bet? And yea it's wrong to call in a low stakes game, here is a video on it

3bet pots are very important, so could be good to have a look at the data when you can
The ace hits my range better so it's good to cbet. Small because it's a dry board, so I don't need to charge my opponent a lot for more cards. If he doesn't have an ace, even if one of his cards hit on any of the streets he will still not be feeling great about his hand and is likely to fold if we show strength.

Fair point about the 3-bet pots. They do tend to be big obviously and therefore important. Do they play very differently from "normal" pots? What resources would you recommend to improve there?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
chris1089 wrote:
Where are you playing?
I'd switch to real money asap tbh. You're probably gonna learn some bad habits otherwise.

Probably good to study a bit first though. Experience is important but in this game in particular, contrary to most other games, as a beginner I think you can make really big jumps by studying as opposed to playing
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon

Post by don_artie »

Goodspeed wrote:
don_artie wrote:

The ace hits my range better so it's good to cbet. Small because it's a dry board, so I don't need to charge my opponent a lot for more cards. If he doesn't have an ace, even if one of his cards hit on any of the streets he will still not be feeling great about his hand and is likely to fold if we show strength.

Fair point about the 3-bet pots. They do tend to be big obviously and therefore important. Do they play very differently from "normal" pots? What resources would you recommend to improve there?
Good, sounds like you are understanding some stuff already :). So an interesting thing about the hand mentioned before, when faced with your 25% flop bet (in your case 33%), players tend to raise their sets and 2pairs. I you get called you'll likely face a one pair hand hoping to impove (2x or 9x) , a wheeldraw (34, 45, 53) or a weak ace seeing as strong aces would 3bet preflop. So their range is rather capped towards weak/medium strength hands. I've found great succes by betting 130% pot on most turn cards, some might even fold weak aces which is practically top of their range and means your bet is printing money. If they do continue, dont fire the river unless you have a strong value hand, but you'll find that you will hardly ever reach the river, perhaps something to try for you. Regarding 3b pots I'd say just give the 3better a strong range, people tend to 3b pretty tight on smaller stakes, just fold like the 60% of your opening range that you like the least. If you do continue, just be weary of stacking off, for example if you have ATs and the board runs out Txxxx and he tripple barrels, just expect overpairs and fold the river
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Goodspeed wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I'd switch to real money asap tbh. You're probably gonna learn some bad habits otherwise.

Probably good to study a bit first though. Experience is important but in this game in particular, contrary to most other games, as a beginner I think you can make really big jumps by studying as opposed to playing
The results of today's morning session suggest that I should not be starting with real money any time soon.
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon

Post by don_artie »

I googled about micro stakes and thought this was a good read https://www.blackrain79.com/2019/07/how ... t-5nl.html
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

don_artie wrote:I googled about micro stakes and thought this was a good read https://www.blackrain79.com/2019/07/how ... t-5nl.html
Funny, I've already read that while googling earlier! Just need to understand some more theory so I can understand articles like that better and apply them better. I think I just get too greedy mostly and forget that someone else could have a three of a kind for example when I have two high pairs.
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon

Post by don_artie »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
don_artie wrote:I googled about micro stakes and thought this was a good read https://www.blackrain79.com/2019/07/how ... t-5nl.html
Funny, I've already read that while googling earlier! Just need to understand some more theory so I can understand articles like that better and apply them better. I think I just get too greedy mostly and forget that someone else could have a three of a kind for example when I have two high pairs.
It depends on the board as well, ofc t7 on 997 isnt that strong of a 2 pair hand, but t7 on t73 is. If you have t7 on t73 and you lose your stack against 33 you did nothing wrong. Correct play includes losing, its normal
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

make a poker thread nerds, this is about real high stakes gambling
mad cuz bad
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

n0el wrote:make a poker thread nerds, this is about real high stakes gambling
Done. So I've split the topic in two, just need to work out how to change the title of this thread to poker or something.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Poker

Post by chris1089 »

Discuss all things poker here!
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Re: Poker

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

What is the point of using HM3? How do I get a better grasp at reading, understanding, and applying the data?