Simpson's paradox

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Simpson's paradox

Post by WickedCossack »

Saw this interesting paradox today, and no it's not to do with the cartoon.

So suppose you have a kidney stone which can be either a small stone or a large stone. Now there are two treatments for kidney stones, treatment A &' treatment B.

You go to a doctor and he gives you this information on treatment success:

Treatment A vs. small stones: 93% (81/87)
Treatment B vs. small stones: 87% (234/270)
Treatment A vs. large stones: 73% (192/263)
Treatment B vs. large stones: 69% (55/80)

Supposing you don't know if you have a small or large kidney stone ? Surely you'd pick treatment A whatever right ?

But not so fast ! :P

Since you don't know whether you have a small or large kidney stone then you may as well combine the stones for each treatment ...

Treatment A: 78% (273/350)
Treatment B: 83% (289/350)

Same sample size out of 350 and it turns out treatment B is actually better. Or is it ?

What would you choose if you had a kidney stone ?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Simpson's paradox

Post by momuuu »

Thats because the weights of the averages are wrong. Here, the worse variant (large stones) weighs more heavily for the A average than for the B average. Its just unfair statistics. If you draw the chance tree for any random chance of having large kidney stones, A will have a significantly larger succesrate for any chance of large kidney stones.
Retired Contributor

Simpson's paradox

Post by WickedCossack »

jerom wrote:Thats because the weights of the averages are wrong. Here, the worse variant (large stones) weighs more heavily for the A average than for the B average. Its just unfair statistics. If you draw the chance tree for any random chance of having large kidney stones, A will have a significantly larger succesrate for any chance of large kidney stones.

Well the weighting is what creates the paradox. It''s skewed but it''s not what you can call "wrong."

350 patients were given treatment A, another 350 treatment B and if those are the results then you''ve got a choice on your hands.

For sure you can ask them to do a better experiment as well but they don''t always have the time :P
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Simpson's paradox

Post by _venox_ »

It's not really a paradox is it?
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Retired Contributor

Simpson's paradox

Post by WickedCossack »

It''s been around a long time: [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpson''s_paradox]linky[/url]

I thought it was interesting anyhows. :happytomato:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Simpson's paradox

Post by momuuu »

If you like paradoxes, look up the olbers paradox. Thats my favorite paradox :D
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah

Simpson's paradox

Post by _venox_ »

It surely is interesting and probably a bit confusing if you have to choose but depending on your mathmatical and logical skills different people will come to different conclusions or will just throw a dice. The really intelligent people can't throw a dice though since they will wonder if the throw of dice really gives an equal chance for each number.
France iNcog
Ninja

Simpson's paradox

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah

Simpson's paradox

Post by _venox_ »

Maybe the light passed so many different really heavy stars and black holes that the light will be slightly tilted that it doesn't reach us or the stars are so far away that their light hasn't reached us yet, or asteroids trash and planets all absorb the light on the way to earth.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Simpson's paradox

Post by momuuu »

The actual answer is something with a big bang. Youre theory about absorption has been proven wrong actually.
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah

Simpson's paradox

Post by _venox_ »

I just read it and it sounds really cool, or should I say hot because of the big bang?
No Flag purplesquid
Dragoon
Donator 03

Simpson's paradox

Post by purplesquid »

There really is no paradox here. In terms of treatment effectiveness, all that really matters is the percents. More people with the harder to treat condition (larger stones) were given treatment A. This is why more people with treatment B were cured even though treatment A is clearly the better treatment.

It comes down to the fact that the group given treatment B was "healthier" than the group that was given treatment A.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Simpson's paradox

Post by gibson »

purplesquid wrote:There really is no paradox here. In terms of treatment effectiveness, all that really matters is the percents. More people with the harder to treat condition (larger stones) were given treatment A. This is why more people with treatment B were cured even though treatment A is clearly the better treatment.

It comes down to the fact that the group given treatment B was "healthier" than the group that was given treatment A.

I agree I see no paradox
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Simpson's paradox

Post by deleted_user0 »

mathers like to call everything a paradox, paradoxally they dont have a clue what paradox means because they arent linguists =_= unless they are logical linguists in which case they are simply clueless, full stop.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Simpson's paradox

Post by momuuu »

This would definitely be a paradox to a linguist. Without some mathematical knowledge this is seemingly a contradiction, even though it actually isnt. Which is exactly what a paradox is (it appears to me some of you might think a paradox is actually a contradiction, which is wrong).
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Simpson's paradox

Post by deleted_user0 »

it would appear that way, but you are making a logical mistake somewhere, jerom!
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Simpson's paradox

Post by Metis »

This is a paradox that you will probably discuss in your an introductory logic course. As with most paradoxes, it's not so much of something in the universe that doesn't make sense as that it is a mistake in the way we analyze and present information. If I recollect correctly, the paradox occurs when one variable has an overwhelming effect when included in the whole. Basic multivariate analysis will easily find such a variable in a lumped data set.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Simpson's paradox

Post by yemshi »

wickedcossack wrote:Saw this interesting paradox today, and no it''s not to do with the cartoon.

So suppose you have a kidney stone which can be either a small stone or a large stone. Now there are two treatments for kidney stones, treatment A &' treatment B.

Supposing you don''t know if you have a small or large kidney stone ? Surely you''d pick treatment A whatever right ?

Since you don''t know whether you have a small or large kidney stone then you may as well combine the stones for each treatment ...

Same sample size out of 350 and it turns out treatment B is actually better. Or is it ?

If I''d only understood half of the post, I might have been able to give a serious answer.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Simpson's paradox

Post by Kaiserklein »

wickedcossack wrote:Saw this interesting paradox today, and no it''s not to do with the cartoon.

Supposing you don''t know if you have a small or large kidney stone ? Surely you''d pick treatment A whatever right ?

Since you don''t know whether you have a small or large kidney stone then you may as well combine the stones for each treatment ...

It''s basically a math problem about conditional probabilities. Here, it means you need to consider the probability you have to get small or large stones before you can apply the probabilities of success for each treatment. Said in another way, the thing is treatment A has his best success when it matters less : 93% but on only 87 stones... While B has his best success on the biggest part : 87% on 270, which matters a lot. And ofc A sucks when the sample is greater (73% on 263 stones) while B sucks when it doesn''t really matter (69% on only 80 stones).

In fact it''s just the law of total probability :

Pr("A works") = Pr("you have small stones") x Pr("A works for small stones") + Pr("you have large stones") x Pr("A works for large stones")
So according to what you said, we get Pr("A works") = 87/350 x 93% + 263/350 x 73% ~ 78%.

You can make exactly the same for treatment B, and it will work. This is not a paradox, just maths
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag cerebellum
Crossbow

Simpson's paradox

Post by cerebellum »

@kaiserklein: you made a mistake when calculating Pr("you have small stones"). It should be (87+270)/(87+270+263+80). When you do this, you get the correct answer of Pr("A works") ~= .83. As mentioned previously, the paradox arises out of the inappropriate weighting of the subgroups. Also, quoting from Wikipedia, "When the less effective treatment (B) is applied more frequently to easier cases, it can appear to be a more effective treatment"
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Simpson's paradox

Post by Kaiserklein »

cerebellum wrote:@kaiserklein: you made a mistake when calculating Pr("you have small stones"). It should be (87+270)/(87+270+263+80). When you do this, you get the correct answer of Pr("A works") ~= .83. As mentioned previously, the paradox arises out of the inappropriate weighting of the subgroups. Also, quoting from Wikipedia, "When the less effective treatment (B) is applied more frequently to easier cases, it can appear to be a more effective treatment"

Why would you take into account the small stones on which treatment A hasn''t been tested to calculate the probability that A works ?
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Simpson's paradox

Post by momuuu »

In the end this paradox is just disappointing. It's like the proof that 1=2, it's just the result of poor maths:

a = b
a[sup]2 [/sup]= ab (multiply by a)
2a[sup]2 [/sup]= a[sup]2 [/sup]+ ab (add a[sup]2[/sup])
2a[sup]2[/sup]-2ab = a[sup]2[/sup] - ab (substract 2ab)
2(a[sup]2[/sup]-ab) = a[sup]2[/sup] - ab (rewrite)
2 = 1 (divide by a[sup]2 [/sup]- ab)

[span]This one is really funny, wonder how many of you see what's wrong ^_^ [/span]
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Simpson's paradox

Post by Kaiserklein »

Nicely found... Divisions are tricky
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Simpson's paradox

Post by rsy »

kaiserklein wrote:21

oh my God took me like half an hour of rewriting again and again until I finally realized that division by 0 thing. Damn disappointing indeed :/
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Simpson's paradox

Post by momuuu »

rsy wrote:
kaiserklein wrote:21
oh my God took me like half an hour of rewriting again and again until I finally realized that division by 0 thing. Damn disappointing indeed :/
Rewrite b=a and notice that from step 4 onward, it just says 0 = 0.

You have a[sup]2 [/sup]and substract ab which equals [span style="font-size:13.3333px'"]a[sup]2 [/sup]aswell :p[/span]