The "Is there a god?" thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.

Is there a God

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes: 58

No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Is there?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Post by divine_moon »

i AM a god at losing games....

@ dragon, i'm waiting for the cook of doom tbh :P :D
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

no
Image Image Image
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Added poll. Also no, there almost certainly isn't. Depends on how you define god though.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

drlegend wrote:Because we all know that a question hotly disputed for thousands of years can finally be answered on ESO-Community by philosophers with such names as Fry Cook of Doom.
God came to me in a dream once and told me he didn''t exist.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

drlegend wrote:How do you know that anything "certainly" doesnt exist somewhere? Are you omniscient?

No, but God is, and if God tells me something how can I resist believing him?

neuron wrote:Depending on how you define it, yes. Otherwise, no.

:bravo:
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

deleted_user wrote:Idk about the question but that''s the coolest avatar I''ve seen, Ovi
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

I'm going with no. Why?
Because there is as much evidence for a god as there is for fairies and witches-none.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

drlegend wrote:How do you know that anything "certainly" doesn''t exist somewhere? Are you omniscient?
We can''t know for sure that there isn''t one, but we can definitely say that we have no reason to believe that there IS one. There is as much evidence for a god as there is for the sioux fighting the portugese in siberia.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

ovi12 wrote:
drlegend wrote:How do you know that anything "certainly" doesnt exist somewhere? Are you omniscient?
We cant know for sure that there isnt one, but we can definitely say that we have no reason to believe that there IS one. There is as much evidence for a god as there is for the sioux fighting the portugese in siberia.
you just discredited two millenaries of human belief, as well as gs did. there are thousands of reason to believe in a god and still being rational, either dr legend will tell you abt it either you do your own research but I have no time atm
*wayyy more than 2 millenaries actually
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

benj89 wrote:
ovi12 wrote:We cant know for sure that there isnt one, but we can definitely say that we have no reason to believe that there IS one. There is as much evidence for a god as there is for the sioux fighting the portugese in siberia.
you just discredited two millenaries of human belief, as well as gs did. there are thousands of reason to believe in a god and still being rational, either dr legend will tell you abt it either you do your own research but I have no time atm
Im talking about evidence, for thousands of years everybody believed that the earth is flat, so what everyone believes based on no evidence doesnt tell you anything about weather something is true or not.

Ofc Ive done some research myself and I used to be a very passionate young-earth christian, but I have never seen any evidence of there being a god.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

drlegend wrote:How do you know that anything "certainly" doesn''t exist somewhere? Are you omniscient?
I don''t, that''s why I said almost certainly.
statements by at least dozens or hundreds of millions of people
Lol. Obviously irrelevant in this context
as well as the basic logical assumption that the world didn''t create itself.
Also irrelevant because the same argument applies to god. Did he create himself?

Thing is, believing in the supernatural is an instinct of ours. It makes a lot of sense that we are inclined to believe in something watching over us from an evolutionary perspective. The safer we feel, the more babies we make ') The lack of evidence speaks for itself, though.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

What about god, did he create himself?

Well duh, God is allowed to create himself, but the universe isn't. It's basic logic, dude!
No Flag epiccheater
Musketeer

Post by epiccheater »

Fuck it: Yes there definitely is

Phisics guys here gonna be mad now
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

drlegend wrote:Idiot, your argument is that beings that violate the laws of nature ("supernatural" beings) don''t exist. Supernatural beings by definition aren''t bound by the natural law that states that everything has a creator.
If you think god exists, the burden of proof is on YOU. Most atheists agree there COULD be a god (yes, this is not contradictory), but we reject the claim that god exists until evidence is provided.

If there is a supernatural being and he interacts with the natural universe, then there may be some evidence of it' it''s your job to find this evidence if you claim god exists. Do you have any? If the supernatural being doesn''t interact with the natural universe, then it is an irrelevant topic because we can never find any evidence for it.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Does the God of the Bible, Quran, or any other sort of main stream religion exist? Almost certainly not. I don't see any possible way that the current common view of God as the big man in the sky who decides what is right from what is wrong could exist. Having said that, there are many things that supersede human understanding and I would not be surprised if there existed some sort of supernatural/alienish being(s).
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

ovi12 wrote:
drlegend wrote:Idiot, your argument is that beings that violate the laws of nature ("supernatural" beings) dont exist. Supernatural beings by definition arent bound by the natural law that states that everything has a creator.
If you think god exists, the burden of proof is on YOU. Most atheists agree there COULD be a god (yes, this is not contradictory), but we reject the claim that god exists until evidence is provided.

If there is a supernatural being and he interacts with the natural universe, then there may be some evidence of it' its your job to find this evidence if you claim god exists. Do you have any? If the supernatural being doesnt interact with the natural universe, then it is an irrelevant topic because we can never find any evidence for it.
Agnostic not atheist. You cant be half atheist.
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

No, that's called agnostic. Let's not shilly-shally.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

drlegend wrote:Idiot, your argument is that beings that violate the laws of nature ("supernatural" beings) don''t exist. Supernatural beings by definition aren''t bound by the natural law that states that everything has a creator.

Still, just because there are supernatural events does not mean there are continuously existent supernatural beings. Your profound ''logical assumptions'' don''t lead to anything here.
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Post by divine_moon »

frycookofdoom wrote:
What about god, did he create himself?
Well duh, God is allowed to create himself, but the universe isn''t. It''s basic logic, dude!
:bravo: :headbang:

[img]http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/32134321.jpg[/img]

:evilgrin:
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

drlegend wrote:
frycookofdoom wrote:Still, just because there are supernatural events does not mean there are continuously existent supernatural beings.
Its a valid deduction.

What makes you say that?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Stupid topic.
Some people think there is, they won't change their mind because they talked with AOE players lol.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

drlegend wrote:
ovi12 wrote:If you think god exists, the burden of proof is on YOU. Most atheists agree there COULD be a god (yes, this is not contradictory), but we reject the claim that god exists until evidence is provided.

If there is a supernatural being and he interacts with the natural universe, then there may be some evidence of it' its your job to find this evidence if you claim god exists. Do you have any? If the supernatural being doesnt interact with the natural universe, then it is an irrelevant topic because we can never find any evidence for it.
You are now changing the topic. I am not arguing that an entity exists. I am simply arguing that it doesnt "certainly" or "almost certainly" not exist and that there is at least some reason to believe in it.
What are your reasons for believing in it?