AOE4 Pricing

General forum about Age of Empires 4.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Re: AOE4 Pricing

Post by n0el »

to be fair, jerom has been clear he doesn't like 3DE for reasons other than the game. he doesn't like the gameplay changes which EP drove, not Microsoft.
mad cuz bad
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Many people have those underlying reasons though
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

n0el wrote:to be fair, jerom has been clear he doesn't like 3DE for reasons other than the game. he doesn't like the gameplay changes which EP drove, not Microsoft.
There is also a difference between a remake/expansion or an entirely new game. For a new game I'd get 20-100 hours of fun just figuring out how it works, even if its meh (and if its great it'll be thousands of hours. This DE? Maybe a few hours?
Canada Cocaine
Lancer
ESO: Cow God

Post by Cocaine »

RefluxSemantic wrote: For a new game I'd get 20-100 hours of fun just figuring out how it works
I didn't know IQ can fall into the negatives
A little Cocaine never hurt nobody!

France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

From the video Dolan posted, it seems the units in AOEIV are going to be sluggish, clunky and unresponsive.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

That can be fixed quite easily, the game speed can be changed in AOE titles.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Germany blasdg
Dragoon

Post by blasdg »

I dont know, but the graphics look so... cheap?! Cartoony? really really dislike them, cant even tell why to be honest...
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

The graphics are not that bad, kinda looks like League with those cartoonish patches of grass and rocks. Though personally I care less about graphics and more about mechanics.
I've seen better graphics, though, even in games made by smaller studios, tbh. Look at the graphics from Manor Lords, made by some small company from Eastern Europe:

This is a Total War sort of RTS, though, so you can only micro big groups of armies probably. But still, they managed to create very realistic natural graphics.
So, if you compare how AOE4 looks like with some upcoming RTS games from this year, it's neither the best looking nor the worst, it's in the middle.
It's the mechanics that don't look that great so far, but we'll see more when it comes out.

Btw, it's worth checking out that entire video, it shows all the major upcoming RTS games for this year.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I think in terms of looks, there is a significant amount of compromise necessary for readability. Some bits of aoe4 looked great to me.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Dolan wrote:The graphics are not that bad, kinda looks like League with those cartoonish patches of grass and rocks. Though personally I care less about graphics and more about mechanics.
I've seen better graphics, though, even in games made by smaller studios, tbh. Look at the graphics from Manor Lords, made by some small company from Eastern Europe:

This is a Total War sort of RTS, though, so you can only micro big groups of armies probably. But still, they managed to create very realistic natural graphics.
So, if you compare how AOE4 looks like with some upcoming RTS games from this year, it's neither the best looking nor the worst, it's in the middle.
It's the mechanics that don't look that great so far, but we'll see more when it comes out.

Btw, it's worth checking out that entire video, it shows all the major upcoming RTS games for this year.
I am really skeptic about it, they already did some major damage to the franchise with this so called "definitive" editions.
Manor lords seems like a good game, I will check it out.
Have you seen Age of the Ring graphics? They are outstanding.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

aaryngend wrote:
bobabu wrote:You guys are complaining about 60 dollars. We have to pay 83 dollars. That's more than Aoe 3 was on release.
Bad comparison, the swiss franc is a very strong currency.
I expect the game to cost 50€ or 45€ instead of 60€ during its first sale (which might happen during christmas, but I somehow doubt it).
New AAA games mostly take at least 6 months until they go on sale for the first time.
How is it a bad comparison? The European Union doesn't allow this kind of discrimination. They are just abusing the fact that we are a small country with less power. It's not about wealth.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Turns out not joining a mega economic union might have its downsides.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Turns out not joining a mega economic union might have its downsides.
top kek
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

aaryngend wrote:
bobabu wrote:You guys are complaining about 60 dollars. We have to pay 83 dollars. That's more than Aoe 3 was on release.
I expect the game to cost 50€ or 45€ instead of 60€ during its first sale (which might happen during christmas, but I somehow doubt it).
New AAA games mostly take at least 6 months until they go on sale for the first time.
Norwegians are wealthier. Valve suggested price is so much lower.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

bobabu wrote:
aaryngend wrote:
In return, Norwegians seem to earn more. It all evens out in the end. Higher wages but also higher prices.
There is the case of actually being wealthier and just looking wealthier on paper.

Die Eidgenossen werden nun mal gerne zur Kasse gebeten :lol:
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

aaryngend wrote:
bobabu wrote:
Show hidden quotes
In return, Norwegians seem to earn more. It all evens out in the end. Higher wages but also higher prices.
There is the case of actually being wealthier and just looking wealthier on paper.

Die Eidgenossen werden nun mal gerne zur Kasse gebeten :lol:
What I am saying it's disproportionate. It's cheaper in Norway. Nowhere is the difference between the valve suggested price and the actual price bigger than in Switzerland.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

Currency value isnt based on wealth though, its just the market value of the currency on the market. with that being said the franc is known to be overvalued, possibly due to market intervention, a reason why its always on the list of candidates for the US currency manipulator list
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

helln00 wrote:Currency value isnt based on wealth though, its just the market value of the currency on the market. with that being said the franc is known to be overvalued, possibly due to market intervention, a reason why its always on the list of candidates for the US currency manipulator list
The Swiss franc is overvalued because it's considered one of the safest currencies to buy when other assets are underperforming. So investors speculatively buy lots of francs, which artificially drives its value relative to other currencies. Then the Swiss national bank is forced to intervene to defend its currency, otherwise their exports would be destroyed.
Blame this global system of financial speculation of which American investors are the main drivers and beneficiaries.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

Dolan wrote:
helln00 wrote:Currency value isnt based on wealth though, its just the market value of the currency on the market. with that being said the franc is known to be overvalued, possibly due to market intervention, a reason why its always on the list of candidates for the US currency manipulator list
The Swiss franc is overvalued because it's considered one of the safest currencies to buy when other assets are underperforming. So investors speculatively buy lots of francs, which artificially drives its value relative to other currencies. Then the Swiss national bank is forced to intervene to defend its currency, otherwise their exports would be destroyed.
Blame this global system of financial speculation of which American investors are the main drivers and beneficiaries.
I mean yeah, there are good reasons for it, needing to maintain stable-ish exchange rates for an export economy is probably top of the list and with the US being the dominant currency its going to be done on some level. It just has some funny consequences
Switzerland ChewSick
Dragoon
ESO: chusik

Post by ChewSick »

tbh this is something Steam and many other games like League of Legends have done for years.. they just put higher prices because they know the Swiss are paying it anyway.

I just dislike the model of having to pay $60+ instead of having a cheap access with the possibility to buy ingame stuff. With these high prices i doubt we will get a big playerbase beyond the AoE Fans
Canada Cocaine
Lancer
ESO: Cow God

Post by Cocaine »

Not to sound like a broken record but I just checked the price of AOE4 on Steam again in my Canadian dollars and ya its 80$ and 100$ for delux which I will get.. Thats the most expensive game I have ever purchased like what the hell... That is insane.
A little Cocaine never hurt nobody!

Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

aoe4 is so hyped that most buyers are unelastic to a charged premium price
Image Image Image
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Aoe4 is hyped in the sense that its a triple A game that people are willing to pay triple A prices for.

Anyone complaining about aoe4's price point is just doing effort to showcase that they are an entitled whiner.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Garja wrote:aoe4 is so hyped that most buyers are unelastic to a charged premium price
Spoken like an (ex-)economics student. Price elasticity of demand is a very interesting concept.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Aoe4 is hyped in the sense that its a triple A game that people are willing to pay triple A prices for.

Anyone complaining about aoe4's price point is just doing effort to showcase that they are an entitled whiner.
It is hyped beyond that, the premium price is more for it being the 20 year waited installement in the franchise.
So if a fair price would be 60$ , they can charge it 80$ and they barely lose any buyer.
Image Image Image