Tournament Rules and Information

Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Re: Tournament Rules and Information

Post by sebnan12 »

didnt mankl take some money from esoc (zooms words)?? why u allow him to play now
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

pecelot wrote:What I do know is that rotated buildings don't cause any sort of crashes, bugs, different pathing or anything, so the way in which the game operates on squared tiles doesn't really matter.
Oh, so maybe they forgot about the rotator mod, too?

he destroyed ur arguments badly @Garja
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Rotator has some positive sides. It adds something to the game and prevents randomness from the rotation of the map. I also don't think I agree with the idea that it makes building placement too easy, I think it might just make that an actual feature. Its usually not really a big deal regardless.

Compared to auto-wall delete hotkey it really does add something positive too. Regardless of that, you can just enable certain modifications in EP of choice to nulify the "cheat" argument, so then its really all about if a mod adds something or not.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

sebnan12 wrote:didnt mankl take some money from esoc (zooms words)?? why u allow him to play now

*Neuron?
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

sebnan12 wrote:didnt mankl take some money from esoc (zooms words)?? why u allow him to play now
They both took money from ESOC. The only difference is that one case is called a retirement and the other armed robbery.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Garja wrote:I'm lolling because the only post about building rotator was made some community manager guy and was about it being bannable or not. It is not bannable, that doesn't mean it's good for the game. It is not in fact.
I'm not referring to that, though. I distinctly remember an ES developer, in reply to why the BR is absent from the game despite the code being present, saying that it was originally intended to feature but was forgotten or misplaced.

As for the actual question, I've no idea whether the BR needs to be forbidden. It would be interesting to allow it in one tournament see the results. I consider this unlikely to happen, though.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Kaiserklein wrote:Then where do you draw the line, gibson ? Is kynesie's stuff to make walls faster allowed for example ?
To me, it's simple: allow what is readily available to all players and considered a desirable and intended feature. In my opinion, Agra Fort hotkeys is an example candidate for these critiera, whereas Kynesie's home-brew macros are not.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

zoom wrote:
They both took money from ESOC. The only difference is that one case is called a retirement and the other armed robbery.

stop spreading lies haha. Mankl has done so much to support esoc.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Kaiserklein wrote:Then where do you draw the line, gibson ? Is kynesie's stuff to make walls faster allowed for example ?

Not sure, and I'm not completely sure what kynisie has either, but you can't equate advanced hotkeys with revealing the entire map lol.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Not equating, just asking where we draw the line. To me this transparent UI where you can trade in market without even selecting it is already cheat, but for some people it's not. Just like rotator mod, extra hotkeys, whatever else... If you start saying "ok this mod is allowed" then a guy is gonna come with another mod, a bit more invasive, and say "is this allowed ? After all rotator mod is allowed" and etc etc, that's why I say in the end a guy comes with a mh and asks "why not ?". Ofc it's an exaggeration, but I think you got the idea.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Jerom wrote:
zoom wrote:

stop spreading lies haha. Mankl has done so much to support esoc.
As has Neuron!
:idea:
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Jerom wrote:Rotator has some positive sides. It adds something to the game and prevents randomness from the rotation of the map. I also don't think I agree with the idea that it makes building placement too easy, I think it might just make that an actual feature. Its usually not really a big deal regardless.

Compared to auto-wall delete hotkey it really does add something positive too. Regardless of that, you can just enable certain modifications in EP of choice to nulify the "cheat" argument, so then its really all about if a mod adds something or not.
QP with cheese.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

n0eL wrote:Mitoe, jerom, bram, Jim and myself

A bunch of nubs then + noel
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Royal with cheese*
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

I like how the finals are BO9 now. Maybe some of the other rounds should have more games too; the more, the better!
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
United States of America lesllamas
Lancer

Post by lesllamas »

I'm somewhat disappointed the winner picks first CP method is still not being implemented. There is no logical reason to have alternating counterpick.

Jerom wins Game 1
Kaiserklein wins Game 2 on his counterpick
Kaiserklein wins Game 3 on Jerom's counterpick
Kaiserklein wins Game 4 on his counterpick

Result: Player B wins in the event of a single break, with 2 of his own counterpicks

@umeu @Jerom @zoom guys pls we went over this how did you come to this conclusion
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

lol i got nothing to do with tournament rules.
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

lesllamas wrote:I'm somewhat disappointed the winner picks first CP method is still not being implemented. There is no logical reason to have alternating counterpick.

Jerom wins Game 1

Result: Player B wins in the event of a single break, with 2 of his own counterpicks

@umeu @Jerom @zoom guys pls we went over this how did you come to this conclusion

If jerom fucks up his counterpick, then it is definitely not unfair
r]
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

lesllamas wrote:I'm somewhat disappointed the winner picks first CP method is still not being implemented. There is no logical reason to have alternating counterpick.

Jerom wins Game 1

The others are stubborn.
Lancer

Post by lesllamas »

Gichtenlord wrote:

Jerom wins Game 1

If jerom fucks up his counterpick, then it is definitely not unfair

This is such a bullshit line of reasoning. Competitive counterpicking rules are and should be designed to account for all possibilities and outcomes. It's completely retarded to just ignore instances of a player losing on their own counterpick/winning on their opponents' by saying "lol u should just win ur counterpicks".

If that's your fucking position, then why don't you just hand the series win to whomever wins the first neutral game? The fact remains that in an alternating counterpick system, any series BO5 or longer (BO3 it doesn't matter because alternating would play out exactly the same way as winner picks first in every instance), there are outcomes where players win sets, having accessed more counterpicks than their opponent. In BO5, this can occur when the winning player wins 2 of the requisite 3 games on their own counterpick, while the losing player only gets 1 counterpick game. In BO7, you can have the same instance, except with 3/4 and 2, in BO9 4/5 and 3, ad infinitum.

Winner picks first is a system that will never, under any circumstances, allow any player to win a set having accessed more counterpicks than their opponent. Similarly, winner picks first does not punish the winner of a game (as is the favorite H20/Garja contention that doesn't stand up under any kind of scrutiny) over the course of a set, and winning games will never set a player behind in counterpicks. Additionally, losers of a series have even less room to complain about unfair auxiliary conditions, as they have the fullest opportunity to use all of their counterpicks to try and eke a game out. 3-0's are more convincing and indicative of a thoroughly outclassed opponent.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Well we face other problems, for example that having a first pick on certain maps or in certain cases is much better than in others.
Lancer

Post by lesllamas »

Jerom wrote:Well we face other problems, for example that having a first pick on certain maps or in certain cases is much better than in others.

That is indeed a problem, but it is also separate. Neither winner picks first nor alternating counterpick solves this issue. Depending on what the map set is for a particular round, and which ones get (randomly?) chosen for each series, the maps that provide extremely strong counterpicks are arbitrarily distributed through a set anyways. There's just as much chance for a polarizing map to appear in games 2/3 as there is for it to appear in games 4/5. No ordering of the counterpicks is going to be more or less fair in this area, unless the counterpicking rules are expanded to take maps into consideration (map bans? map agreement? caster decides? I truly don't know what the optimal decision is here).

Just to quickly illustrate: let's say there's Maps, A, B, C, D, E, F, and G and on the table for a 5 game series.

Any set of those 5 can be distributed through games 1-5 in any order. It can punish the winner of game 1 under alternating pick, the loser of game one under alternating pick, the winner of game 1 under winner picks first, or the loser of game 1 under winner picks first. If polarizing super strong counterpick map comes up in game 3, it favors the winner of game 1. If it comes up in game 4, it favors the loser of game 1. And so on and so forth.

I'll bring it up again, but melee is the same way. If each map were randomly set over the course of a series, there would be some instances where counterpicking got super weird and certain players of certain characters would have strangely large advantages in some instances, regardless of the counterpicking rules. Hence, in melee counterpicks include the map. Winner bans 1 map, loser counterpicks out of the 5 remaining choices, winner selects character (having the benefit of knowing what map they're going to), loser selects character. But AoE3 is different and there are far more maps with a less established metagame, so I have no idea how to optimally create a map picking ruleset.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Jerom wins Game 1

I'm confused. Are you of the idea that I have some sort of authority over the matter?
Lancer

Post by lesllamas »

zoom wrote:

Jerom wins Game 1

I'm confused. Are you of the idea that I have some sort of authority over the matter?

Oh I thought you were one of the autumn tournament people. Whoopz
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

lesllamas wrote:
Jerom wrote:Well we face other problems, for example that having a first pick on certain maps or in certain cases is much better than in others.

That is indeed a problem, but it is also separate. Neither winner picks first nor alternating counterpick solves this issue. Depending on what the map set is for a particular round, and which ones get (randomly?) chosen for each series, the maps that provide extremely strong counterpicks are arbitrarily distributed through a set anyways. There's just as much chance for a polarizing map to appear in games 2/3 as there is for it to appear in games 4/5. No ordering of the counterpicks is going to be more or less fair in this area, unless the counterpicking rules are expanded to take maps into consideration (map bans? map agreement? caster decides? I truly don't know what the optimal decision is here).

Just to quickly illustrate: let's say there's Maps, A, B, C, D, E, F, and G and on the table for a 5 game series.

Any set of those 5 can be distributed through games 1-5 in any order. It can punish the winner of game 1 under alternating pick, the loser of game one under alternating pick, the winner of game 1 under winner picks first, or the loser of game 1 under winner picks first. If polarizing super strong counterpick map comes up in game 3, it favors the winner of game 1. If it comes up in game 4, it favors the loser of game 1. And so on and so forth.

I'll bring it up again, but melee is the same way. If each map were randomly set over the course of a series, there would be some instances where counterpicking got super weird and certain players of certain characters would have strangely large advantages in some instances, regardless of the counterpicking rules. Hence, in melee counterpicks include the map. Winner bans 1 map, loser counterpicks out of the 5 remaining choices, winner selects character (having the benefit of knowing what map they're going to), loser selects character. But AoE3 is different and there are far more maps with a less established metagame, so I have no idea how to optimally create a map picking ruleset.

Aoe3's map are kinda extreme from time to time. On arkansas+hudson bay etc the maps are relatively uninfluential. But we also have Tibet, High Plains, Cascade Range, Indonesia, which all have a different meta.

Fortunately the counterpicks aren't extreme counters as of yet so its not really truly problematic either way around.