Idea on redesigning the Deck system

France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Re: Idea on redesigning the Deck system

Post by Rikikipu »

I've always found that spying at the deck of your opponent is an issue:
  • Because it favors so much standard play because you can spot easily if there is a weird card in the deck.
  • Also it reduces scouting ability because by doing one click at the begining of the game, you gain a lot of information. For instance, you don't see any water card, so you don't have to scout the water shore to find a dock.
Since promoting various playstyles and relying on skills ability (scouting) is important, I do believe that the ability to spy you opponent's deck should just be removed. cc @zoom
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

The thing is that in some mu scouting is very hard like against germany where you basically have to sacrified your explo to the 2 free ulhan if you want to scout the first shipement. If you cant check deck and have no way to scout then it would be very hard to guess for example if your opponent is kaiser and go for merc with a sneaky saloon.

Thats why i would find the game more interesting if we couldnt see opponent deck but then every civ can train scout at their tc. seems fair to spend some ress to gains information then. Scouting should be more important and rewarded imo as well as the anti scouting and mind game skills which depends of that.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

It's unfair how the system works now, Gibson would be a top 10 player if you couldn't scout decks

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

@chris1089 I can definitely see how it makes scouting very easy. I was trying more to allow for hiding intentions and plans rather than scouting. It also partly comes out of thinking about the effects that #1 would have on the current decking showing system.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Rikikipu wrote:I've always found that spying at the deck of your opponent is an issue:
  • Because it favors so much standard play because you can spot easily if there is a weird card in the deck.
  • Also it reduces scouting ability because by doing one click at the begining of the game, you gain a lot of information. For instance, you don't see any water card, so you don't have to scout the water shore to find a dock.
Since promoting various playstyles and relying on skills ability (scouting) is important, I do believe that removing the ability to spy you opponent's deck should just be removed. cc @zoom
As I outlined, in a recent post of mine, I agree that marginalizing non-meta strategies, as well as the value of scouting, hurts the game, significantly. However, while I think that decks shouldn't be such a tell-all sign, eliminating the possibility to play with the mind of your opponent – by eliminating too much of the ability to read information from decks – would be a shame, too.

I find the specific suggestions in the OP non-ideal, though, and the results from the poll of the thread linked to, in this post, are troubling. We should get more input on the topic, after the Winter Championship.