Rhode Island hoops

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: I Date My Cousin

Rhode Island hoops

Post by kaister »

https://gorhody.com/sports/mens-basketb ... score/9074

Big win against Seton Hall tonight, what are everyones thoughts
United States of America minimoult21
Dragoon
ESO: minimoult21

Re: Rhode Island hoops

Post by minimoult21 »

Despite the unknown status of transfers’ eligibility, the potential success for Rhode Island really begins with Fatts Russell. The dynamic 5-10 guard is back for his senior year after making First Team All-A10 and A10 All-Defensive Team as a junior. Russell averaged 18.8 points, 4.6 assists, 3.4 rebounds and 2.9 steals last season. With Obi Toppin out of the conference, Russell should be the favorite for Atlantic 10 Player of the Year. Jermaine Harris and Antwan Walker are the only other returning players from last year’s rotation. Both players had very similar stats with each averaging 5.3 points, Walker averaging just 0.5 more rebounds and Harris averaging 1.0 more minutes per game. JuCo imports D.J. Johnson and Jeremy Sheppard are the two transfers that will undoubtedly play for the Rams this season. Johnson is a 6-7 wing who averaged 13.4 points, 8.9 rebounds and shot 43 percent from three at Williston State. Sheppard is a 6-1 guard who started his career at East Carolina before transferring to the College of Central Florida where he averaged 17.1 points and shot 44 percent from three. Three-star freshmen guards Tres Berry and Ishmael Leggett are the final two confirmed scholarship players for the Rams. Rhode Island is waiting on the status of potential eligibility for five transfers as well. Syracuse transfer Jalen Carey seems the most likely to be granted a waiver as he played in just two games last season. Carey is a former four-star recruit who would provide major help to Russell in the backcourt. Allen Betrand is a transfer from Towson who earned All-CAA honors as a sophomore last season. Malik Martin comes from Charlotte where he earned CUSA All-Defense honors last year. Twin 6-10 centers Makhi and Makhel Mitchell were highly ranked recruits who both played double-digit games at Maryland last season. The NCAA is rather inconsistent with granting waivers, so any of the transfers may or may not be able to play in 2020-21. Fatts Russell returning gives the Rams a fighting chance in any event, but the addition of any of the potential transfers would be more than welcomed at Rhode Island.
minimoult21 represents a relative unknown.
United States of America Sensei
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

David Cox made a strong improvement in his second season as Rhode Island’s head coach. The Rams won 21 games in 2019-20 despite not playing any postseason games. The bad news is that five of the eight rotation players from last season have departed. However, Fatts Russell is back for his senior year after earning first team all-conference honors last season. Rhode Island’s expectations and success will hinge on the status of several transfers that could become eligible for the 2020-21 season. As it stands, the Rams have just seven scholarship players though that number is likely to increase before the season begins.
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

Only three returning players took the floor for the University of Rhode Island last season, and one of them was sidelined for Wednesday night’s season opener at Mohegan Sun Arena.

Junior forward Jermaine Harris (foot) did not dress for the Rams against No. 18 Arizona State. Harris was held out of practice the previous evening and is considered day-to-day.

A statement released by the Rams said Harris received an injection in his foot earlier this week. URI coach David Cox is hopeful Harris will be able to appear at some point through the four games the Rams are scheduled to play here in five days at Bubbleville.

Harris was a four-star recruit who started all 63 games for URI through his first two seasons. He averaged 5.3 points and 3.0 rebounds in 2019-20, both slight improvements over his freshman year. Harris and fellow forward Antwan Walker were both singled out by Cox during Atlantic 10 Virtual Media Day as members of the roster who took significant offseason jumps.
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

KINGSTON, R.I. -- — Makhi Mitchell recorded 11 points and 11 rebounds to carry Rhode Island to a 76-63 win over Seton Hall on Wednesday night.

Fatts Russell had 17 points for Rhode Island (3-2). Jeremy Sheppard added 14 points. Ishmael Leggett had 11 points.

Sandro Mamukelashvili had 25 points and 10 rebounds for the Pirates (1-2). Jared Rhoden added 10 points.
Dragoon

Post by minimoult21 »

Rhode Island was 34-of-40 at the free throw line against San Francisco, the second straight game in which the Rams scored at least 30 points from the stripe. A day earlier, Rhode Island was 30-of-35 against South Florida. After shooting .853 as a team over the two games (64-of-75), the team's free throw percentage for the season is up to 73.4 percent. Through Sunday's games, Rhode Island was leading the nation in both free throws made (73) and free throws attempted (93). The 34 made free throws Sunday were the most by the team in 14 seasons, dating back to a 37-of-44 showing against Centenary on Nov. 19, 2006. The 40 free throw attempts against San Francisco were the most for Rhode Island since it was 29-of-44 against George Washington on March 13, 2015. Senior Fatts Russell led the way for Rhode Island, going a perfect 11-for-11 at the line Sunday. The last time a Rhode Island was perfect on 10 or more free throws in a game was Jarvis Garrett, who was 12-for-12 against VCU on Feb. 25, 2017.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Good showing the other night by Ball sacks cardinals too.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

Rhode islands next game against Western Kentucky is in 9 days. Whats everyones predictions? heres the box score from their last meeting https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... =401170195 @minimoult21 @Riotcoke @Sensei
Dragoon

Post by minimoult21 »

Led by wing D.J. Johnson and guard Jalen Carey, Rhode Island's bench unit has been extremely productive thus far. The Rams are getting 27. 5 points per game off the bench, with back-to-back 30+ point showings in the last two games (37 vs. South Florida, 34 vs. San Francisco) After starting the first two games, Carey has been a reserve in the last two outings. He responded with 12 points against South Florida and 11 against San Francisco while shooting a combined 8-of-14 from the field. Johnson had 12 points in the season opener and is providing 7.0 points per game off the bench.
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

Hi Everyone,

I would like to let you know that I created a Rhody basketball sub reddit and would like everyone to join. There are not to my knowledge any active Reddit pages for Providence hoops just the Big East so that alone was one of my motivators.

The goal is to spread Gorhody Nation awareness to new areas of social media that have not been embarked upon. I don't think there is a better place than Keaney Blue to get this subreddit started.

The subreddit is r/rhodybasketball
https://www.reddit.com/r/Rhodybasketball/

It's no fun to post to myself so I hope you join and I view this as a community endeavor. So feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kaister
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

The URI men’s basketball team is flying to the University of Wisconsin to play the Badgers.
The game is a late addition to the schedule in a year that is marked by the coronavirus and the need to be flexible.

The 3-2 Rams have won three in a row.

Wisconsin was scheduled to play the University of Louisville, but that team has been hit by the coronavirus.

The game will be played at 4:30 p.m. EST and air on the Big 10 Network.

The Badgers (3-1) were without a home game against Louisville due to a COVID-19 program pause for the Cardinals that was announced Thursday night. The pause for Louisville left the game - which was part of the ACC/Big 10 Challenge - in limbo.

"We knew going into the year that this season would be unlike any other," Rhode Island Director of Athletics Thorr Bjorn said. "This is a fantastic opportunity that came together quickly, and we are grateful to Wisconsin for its willingness to work together to make it happen. Our basketball and administrative staffs are continuing to work tirelessly to explore every possibility, and it shows in the strength of our schedule."

Wisconsin coming off a tough loss in its rivalry game against Marquette. The Badgers fell to Marquette, 67-65, Friday night on a buzzer-beating tip-in.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Last season Rhode Island started their rebuilding process after winning a game in the 2017 and 2018 NCAA Tournament. Coach David Cox took over the program and had a very young and inexperienced team. The Rams still had some decent wins and the 18-15 overall record was better than many expected. With five starters back, Rhode Island should be able to build upon their 2018-2019 campaign and make a big push up the A-10 standings.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

I don't understand basketball other than the basic rules, and basic ideas like half court press or full court press. How would you suggest getting into following/ watching the sport?
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

If you don't know how good Jeremy Shepherd - a transfer from East Carolina - you in for a surprise. A zone buster and lights out shooter.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

The Rams are clearly struggling to score points in the first half. They have only 16 points compared to the Badgers 33. The Rams really need to step it up on both ends of the court to have any chance in this game.
Dragoon

Post by minimoult21 »

With only 10 minutes left in the 2nd half, the Rhode Island Rams are going to have their work cut out for them. They have only cut the deficit of 17 down by 2 points. Thus far, DJ Johnson has thrown up a huge Goose Egg. He has been the key to their success from the bench. I fear that if his wheels don't start gaining traction, then this will be a devastating loss for the Rhode Island Rams. This loss will bring the organization back to a 3-3 record, after going on a red-hot 3 game winning streak earlier this year.
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

Within 8 points now with 4:20 left. Lets go Rams!!!
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

down 66-55, doesn't look promising but im holding on to hope!
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

Rhody nearly tripled their offensive production in the second half but sadly it just wasn't enough to overcome a dismal first half.
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

Sad, sad day today. Rhode Island could not overcome a rough first half as its three-game winning streak was snapped by No. 13 Wisconsin, 73-62, Wednesday afternoon.

After Rhody (3-3) scored the first points of the game on a Jeremy Sheppard floater, Wisconsin (4-1) had 10 unanswered points. Brad Davison hit three 3-pointers to key the run. With the Badgers forcing Rhode Island into 11 first-half turnovers, Davison outscored the Rams 17-16 in the first half. His outburst helped Wisconsin take a 33-16 lead into halftime.

Despite a better offensive showing in the second half, Rhode Island could not fight its way back into the game. The Rams opened the second half making 5-of-7 from the floor, but Wisconsin was even better. The Badgers started the half 7-of-11 as a team, pushing their lead to as many as 22 points.

Rhody kept fighting, and a 9-0 run managed to trim the deficit to single digits. A Sheppard 3-pointer with 5:17 to go made the score 60-51. Another Sheppard 3-pointer moments later kept the run going as the Rams got within eight points. That was as close as Rhody got, as Wisconsin held off the rally attempt.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

I hate Brad Davison tbh ngl
mad cuz bad
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Imo Leggett was perfect from the floor in Rhode Island's win over Seton Hall on Dec. 2, going 4-for-4 on his field goal attempts en route to his second straight 11-point performance. Of the four field goals, two were from 3-point range. Playing a career-high 25 minutes, Leggett had a plus-minus of +14 in the 76-63 victory over the Pirates which is pretty impressive.

In a low season for the Rams, Leggett is proving he's got a leg up on the competition.
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

This wasn't URI's finest effort this season. The first 30 minutes were downright awful, at least on the offensive side. There was no rhythm, no flow and it seemed like every trip up the court the Rams were running the “pull up from 25 feet and pray” play, which — as the score indicated - did not work. Yet, URI kept firing threes like it had been hitting them despite the first one no being made until there were 11 minutes left in the game.

But the struggles were also due in part to what Wisconsin was doing on defense, a staple of the program since forever. The Badgers are big and physical and weren't letting the Rams get to the paint. URI was in their house and they made sure not to let anybody in.

"You've got to move the ball side to side, inside and out," Cox said. "This is a team that will force you to settle because they build a wall around the paint."
Dragoon

Post by minimoult21 »

Up Next
Rhode Island will hit the road again for a game at Western Kentucky on Sunday, Dec. 13. Game time is set for 12 p.m. EST. That is 17 GMT for all our non-Rhody residers.

Get your rally towels, your Rhody mugs and caps. The Rams are going to need all the support they can get in a hostile Western Kentucky Arena!
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

minimoult21 wrote:Up Next
Rhode Island will hit the road again for a game at Western Kentucky on Sunday, Dec. 13. Game time is set for 12 p.m. EST. That is 17 GMT for all our non-Rhody residers.

Get your rally towels, your Rhody mugs and caps. The Rams are going to need all the support they can get in a hostile Western Kentucky Arena!
mad cuz bad