European Super League

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: European Super League

Post by princeofcarthage »

In that case, team which scores most goals win the match, what's not to understand?
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I like how every single person in this thread that actually understands football thinks this idea is bullshit and then we have princeofcarthage who thinks he knows his shit and supports this league.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

princeofcarthage wrote:Take Europa cup for ex. It is also a closed a competition limited to only European clubs. Asian or American clubs can never participate.
What's your point tho. European teams also can't participate in asian or southamerican competitions. Thats the point of continental competitions isn't it? All comes together then at the world cup and the club world cup.
The alternative for continental competitions would be an international superleague which im sure the people who made up the esl are thinking about already
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

An international superleague is not really reasonable because that sort of travel is just not possible for a midweek competition.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Yea the teams in an international superleague wouldn't be participating in national competition anymore because there wouldn't be a need for it anyways
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

By the way i dont know if anybody here got an idea of european basketball but its worth reading about it cause that's what might be happening in european football in the next years
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I would like to link a previous post of mine.

viewtopic.php?f=982&t=22645&p=530013#p530013
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:I would like to link a previous post of mine.

viewtopic.php?f=982&t=22645&p=530013#p530013
Can't like a post twice unfortunately.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Can't wait to tune in tonight to watch Barca vs Real Madrid match #137 of the year.
Retired Contributor

blackout wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:Take Europa cup for ex. It is also a closed a competition limited to only European clubs. Asian or American clubs can never participate.
What's your point tho. European teams also can't participate in asian or southamerican competitions. Thats the point of continental competitions isn't it? All comes together then at the world cup and the club world cup.
The alternative for continental competitions would be an international superleague which im sure the people who made up the esl are thinking about already
My point is closed tournaments already exist. I get that you may not like certain criteria in your own subjective opinion but a league for only top 20 clubs isn't really much different than a league for only european clubs. You have a league for only english clubs or for Spanish clubs etc. I would like Real Madrid to win the prestigious EPL. Too bad they can't enter it cuz of greedy nature of English. But you don't see me crying?
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Well that post truly makes no sense at all
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Apart from the idea of the Super League being utterly ridiculous, the chosen mix of permanent clubs is also ignorant. Six from UK, three from Spain, three from Italy, two from Germany and one from France. A similar mix is often an emergent feature of existing tournaments, but it is at least based on competition. If British teams are stronger than others, then be it. But having a permanent mix with such a UK dominance is just absurd.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

These "chosen" clubs are just the most wealthy simple as that. Having teams like tottenham and arsenal in a superleague is just ridiculous considering their success in the last 20 years
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

princeofcarthage wrote:
blackout wrote:
My point is closed tournaments already exist. I get that you may not like certain criteria in your own subjective opinion but a league for only top 20 clubs isn't really much different than a league for only european clubs. You have a league for only english clubs or for Spanish clubs etc. I would like Real Madrid to win the prestigious EPL. Too bad they can't enter it cuz of greedy nature of English. But you don't see me crying?
that has to be joke coz it makes absolutely no sense.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I wonder if princeofcarthage actually knows what the champions league is
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

knusch wrote:
gibson wrote:
Show hidden quotes
The difference is now if you have some small market team who’s usually pretty shitty, but happens to actually build a good team, instead of being able to move up, a super league team will now just poach their best players. So players will move up instead of teams, which is better overall unless you happen to live in a tiny town with a shit team that starts to get good.
how is this better overall?

the sole purpose of it is the self interest of a selected few clubs to monopolize their standing forever eliminating any risk and possibility of losing money due to lack of success in a sports competition.
selected not by merit in terms of achievments in their respective leagues but simply coz they "brands"
It creates a higher level of play at the highest level
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

The name "Super League" is cringe to me
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Retired Contributor

RefluxSemantic wrote:I wonder if princeofcarthage actually knows what the champions league is
Of course I do
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

@princeofcarthage Can you just stop?

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Wait, are you saying that its good that top teams get to be favored and get to buy all the best players? If thats your point then you really dont understand the football culture.

And you are then also completely oblivious of the current state of football, where top teams already buy all the best players.
It creates a higher level of competition at the top, if the top teams “always bought the best players” how could any team ever move up into champions league, surely any good player they had would have been bought out? Obviously the richest, big market teams will always be throwing money at players, but it’s not like every player who’s on a champions league team was better than every player who wasn’t. That’s what it’s like in the NBA, every single player in the NBA is better than every single player in the NBAs development league, and that’s how it should be in every sport. And now it’s going to be closer to that for soccer, every player will want to play for a team that’s guaranteed to be in the best league in the world for the duration of his contract. Although really teams shouldn’t be able to move up and down at all, all 20 teams should be locked. Also I like all the snide remarks from all the people in this thread who are mad that their shitty small market team will never have a chance to compete in the best league in the world and can only respond with “you must not understand football”.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

You seriously don't understand what football means to the people here. I'm sorry.
Retired Contributor

You don't take decisions based on emotions. Sorry to burst your bubble but actual money is involved here.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:You don't take decisions based on emotions. Sorry to burst your bubble but actual money is involved here.
Football is emotion. You should take decisions based on emotions because that's pretty much all that should matter.
Retired Contributor

Yeah well, invest your own money and then I want to see you take decisions based on emotions
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

I'm convinced this princeofcarthage has some mental health problems or something.