time travel, is it possible?

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag mnogud
Lancer

Post by mnogud »

going back in time w/o breaking the laws of nature. The anime steins' gate had a nice way of telling how time travel is possible w/o paradox. What do you feel about this
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

Steins' Gate cheated though, they weren't so much time travelling as moving between different co-existing worlds.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag mnogud
Lancer

Post by mnogud »

frycookofdoom wrote:Steins' Gate cheated though, they weren''t so much time travelling as moving between different co-existing worlds.
but they did manage to change the past. time travel can also mean being able to change the past
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

mnogud wrote:
frycookofdoom wrote:Steins' Gate cheated though, they werent so much time travelling as moving between different co-existing worlds.
but they did manage to change the past. time travel can also mean being able to change the past
No, they just kept moving until they got to a world that fit their purposes.
No Flag mnogud
Lancer

Post by mnogud »

frycookofdoom wrote:
mnogud wrote:but they did manage to change the past. time travel can also mean being able to change the past
No, they just kept moving until they got to a world that fit their purposes.
but if you could actually remember like okabe then it would be time travel ')
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

mnogud wrote:
frycookofdoom wrote:No, they just kept moving until they got to a world that fit their purposes.
Maybe from his point of view only.
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Post by divine_moon »

ofc time travel is possible... i'm not even from this century.. :D :P
Netherlands Veni_Vidi_Vici_W
Lancer
ESO: ramex19

Post by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W »

Idk the anime Steins

But they are pretty sure about time travel into the future, however going back into the past is unclear (because the enormous amounts of energy it would require and of possible changing-events-paradox with the present)

An astronaut is kind of time traveling. Cause he moves fast, is away for quite some time, and further away from the gravitational field of the earth. Problem is that his "time-travel" is only so minimal because his speed of the space-rocket is relatively slow (10.000 km/h or so). But, even though its very minimal atm, when he comes back from his journey we on earth are older than he is, meaning he traveled into the future (earth-future).
Age Of Empires 3 Videos - GamePlay, Commentary & Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/venividiviciw
Age Of Empires 3 Live Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/venividivici_w
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Going to the past is probably not possible. I mean, if it would be possible, wouldn't that mean that somewhere in the future we will discover it, which should mean that there should have been people from the future travelling to our times and other times, which hasnt quite happened yet. So it's possible that mankind won't discover time travel in our existance, or that it simply is not possible.

Honestly travelling to the past creates too many contradictions. Maybe it'd be possible to even travel to the very beginning then and disrupt that. I don't think it would be possible in a world that makes a slight amount of sense.

Travelling to the future is surely possible. Isn't that what general relativity dictates already (like what happened in interstellar)?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

interstellar has some major unexplained plotholes though. still a great movie
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

umeu wrote:interstellar has some major unexplained plotholes though. still a great movie
I figured the way time travel is visualized there in the sense of Einstein''s relativity would be a good way to describe what I was trying to say. By no means do I want to say that it is a good source for determining if time travel is possible.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

well if relativity is correct as explained, then it should be possible, its just that the interaction between past-future is where the contradictions arise, and it seems like no such interaction is possible without paradox, but its possible that it may just be paradoxical.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

umeu wrote:well if relativity is correct as explained, then it should be possible, its just that the interaction between past-future is where the contradictions arise, and it seems like no such interaction is possible without paradox, but its possible that it may just be paradoxical.
I''m not even sure if relativity allows for travelling back in time. At least, the formulas seem to fail when v >' c, and even if it would have some sort of sensical outcome, I don''t think it would hold. The entire theory is based on speeds not being able to be greater than the speed of light, so trying to apply to the theory to speeds greater than light is like trying to make your tower higher by placing the foundation of it on the top.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

mnogud wrote:
frycookofdoom wrote:No, they just kept moving until they got to a world that fit their purposes.
But they never explained with sound science how he could remember things. They may not have been cheating when moving between co-existing worlds although they didnt explain to my satisfaction how this was happening, but they were definitely cheating by having the main character randomly remember everything. Overall there were holes all over the place but it was an interesting read nonetheless.

As for whether I think its actually possible to time travel, for now I have no reason to believe it is. You can move forward in time by being close to a singularity in which case time moves slower for you than the people on earth, the movie Interstellar covered that, but I dont see how you could move back in time.
No Flag watching
Crossbow

Post by watching »

I highly doubt today's science has a full graps of all that is possible in this universe. As explained above time travel into the past is considered extremely unlikely if not impossible with the knowledge we have right now, But in the future I truly expect that we will have a completely different perspective on alot of things we consider impossible today. In the short time we humans have been around we only started figuring out how the universe works within the last couple thousand years, In let's say a thousand years from now if we survive global warming and all the other global catastrophies we might face, who knows what will be possible!

If there are higher dimensions out there like string theory predicts, and we could access them somehow, we would think totally different about our universe. I mean string theory is freaky and has alot of freaky predictions. Not to mention all the freaky shyt that happens with quantum mechanics. Keep up your hopes my friend!
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Travelling to the past makes no sense in a universe that shows any form of causality to be honest. But well, quantum mechanics mostly do not make much sense either.

Anyways, since we've never been visited by people from the future, it's wise to assume that we never will achieve the ability to travel to the past, so we might aswell not try to discover how to do it :P
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Plus one to that, except the quantum mechanics part. I'm sure it makes perfect sense, we just don't understand it yet.
No Flag bpdscolony123
Dragoon

Post by bpdscolony123 »

throw an orange on a bee and travel
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

calmyourtits wrote:Plus one to that, except the quantum mechanics part. I''m sure it makes perfect sense, we just don''t understand it yet.
You can''t prove that. :lemon:
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

You can't prove that it makes no sense either and it making sense is significantly more likely in my book, considering the magillion other things that we previously thought made no sense but ended up making tons of it.
No Flag bpdscolony123
Dragoon

Post by bpdscolony123 »

i managed to time travel in katawa shoujo
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

calmyourtits wrote:You can''t prove that it makes no sense either and it making sense is significantly more likely in my book, considering the magillion other things that we previously thought made no sense but ended up making tons of it.
You can''t prove that. :lemon:
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

bpdscolony123 wrote:i managed to time travel in katawa shoujo
hax
No Flag bpdscolony123
Dragoon

Post by bpdscolony123 »

no hax just skillz